Episode 1 - Ravenglass Market

SilverBen
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Episode 1 - Ravenglass Market

#21 Post by Darithe »

Tove

Listens as the woman asks the angry man what type of instruments his backpack held, "Yes, he ran towards the slums. I saw him with your backpack in his hands. I will be happy to look for the boy if you are willing to pay me, or anyone else who wishes to come, for the time we spent pursuing him. The slums aren't exactly the safest place to be looking for a thief."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Urson »

Mudlark
Mudlark supresses a snicker at this.
FA FO

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by SilverBen »

OGRE MAGE wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:21 pm After the sudden explosion of action, Nesta tries to take in the bigger picture, joining neither side until some truth can be revealed.

If possible, he darts into the crowd in hot pursuit of the fleeing boy, doing what he can to keep one eye on the suspect.

If he cannot seem to keep up with his quarry, he attempts to find an area he can climb up onto to get a better vantage of the fleeing boys route.
The boy disappears from sight faster than Nesta can follow. Within this immediate area of the Ravenglass Market, there are very few tall items to climb. Wagons would be the highest movable item. Two-story buildings are rare here.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by SilverBen »

Urson wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:13 pm Mudlark
Mudlark's attention is caught by the man's statement. Instruments? What sort, sai? Musical? Medical? Alchemic? She starts thinking about 'fences' who might buy such things.
"Nautical" he replies curtly to Mudlark. He leans over again to inspect his wounds from Noden's attack. The subdued attacker straightens himself and mutters under his breath. He observes the size of the gathered crowd and waves at them to disperse. "Move on! Move along!"
Darithe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:43 pm Tove

Listens as the woman asks the angry man what type of instruments his backpack held, "Yes, he ran towards the slums. I saw him with your backpack in his hands. I will be happy to look for the boy if you are willing to pay me, or anyone else who wishes to come, for the time we spent pursuing him. The slums aren't exactly the safest place to be looking for a thief."
"One way or another, I've got to replace a sextant before I embark at noon tomorrow. If you can help retrieve my backpack, it's worth a new sextant to me."
Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.”

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#25 Post by SilverBen »

Episode 1 Conclusion
The single goal of this encounter was to defend the boy from his attacker. Vatn accomplished the goal by intervening and protecting the boy from more harm. Thorily and Tove offered to return the stolen property in return for payment, which the attacker agreed to pay.

"Since I have no issue with any of you, I'll be returning to my workshop in the Guild District. Broder, Arkade Broder is my name. I make and sell nautical instruments. If you can return my instrument by this evening, I'll offer a reward in coin equal to a new sextant.

He departs humbly and without aggression.

SilverBen
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by SilverBen »

Potential exits
  1. to the Slums, in pursuit of the boy
  2. to the Slums, in general exploration
  3. explore the Market
  4. to the Guildhall Disrtict
  5. other player character suggestions

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rex »

Vatn

"It wasn't what I was attempting to do, but it seems I have bungled up catching a thief. I should go and try to find the boy and return the sextant. I am not very familiar with the slums, anyone willing to come with me?"

Suggesting #1.

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by sastaz »

Thorily

"I mean, I know my way. But let's just agree on a modus operandi here first. I mean I approve of what you did there big guy, saving that kid from a beating, but that attitude is going to get you nowhere in the slums. Mostly, you'd like to stay out of other people's business. I agree to join and get the man's tools back, but remember that the kid might have stolen them to feed his hungry brothers and sisters for all we know. Or, even worse, he might be connected. And they we need to keep a low profile for sure. City guards ain't there to protect you, mostly."

She looks at the others.

"Or do you disagree?"

Also #1

redwarrior
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#29 Post by redwarrior »

Thrainel speaks up. I'm not a fan of beatings for beatings' sake. If the man had stayed focused on what he was after, He'd have a sextant right now instead of sore knuckles and needing to pay us for a sextant. ... what's a sextant? Is it worth a lot?

Also 1

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by sastaz »

Thorily as to what Thraniel said.

"Well, it's a sort of tool, for navigating a ship, I'd reckon. Or reading a nautical map, rather. It's mentioned in a book I've studied. Quite fascinating stuff, a little to complicated for my taste, but hey, if you're into mathematics and astrology" she smiles.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rex »

Vatn

"Agreed, I am not looking to start trouble, just retrieve the sextant. I know what a sextant is so that shouldn't be an issue."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Urson »

Mudlark
I'm pretty sure I can find the little wharf rat- I know most of his hiding spots. But you'd better be ready to pay him for the sexy-tant thing. She allows herself a brief, crooked smile at the name of the gadget.
Yar, I know the lil' shit-stain. We've sold- 'ahem'- found goods to the same pawnbrokers once or twice.
FA FO

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rex »

Vatn

"If I am paying it will be 1sp since that is all I have. Maybe someone else can pitch in if I am willing to give my word I will pay them back."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#34 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nesta points to where the thief ran off.

"He ran through here but I couldn't track him very far before I lost sight of him."

"I agree that we should at least go looking for the boy. There may be more to this story than a simple robbery."

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Darithe »

Tove

"It is agreed then, we go in pursuit of the sextant," said slowly as if this word for the object is unfamiliar to her and said with a heavy accent. "And you did the right thing," to Vatn, "none should stand by while a child is beaten. The slums it is then. I am relatively new to this city, so I bow to those more knowledgeable than I."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rex »

Vatn

"I am more familiar with the docks, but it sounds like Mudlark knows the way."

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Urson »

Mudlark
Ayuh, I do. Keep you hands away from your weapons while we walk. Most of these folks are honest people, but they don' trust strangers, and armed strangers are dangerous.
Mudlark leads the way, zigging and zagging through the twisty streets and alleys. She occasionally speaks or nods to someone as they go.
FA FO

sastaz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by sastaz »

For being somewhat dressed up, Thorily seems to know her way rather well too, nodding to a beggar here, saluting a hawker there. At some point she addresses Mudlark "do you really need to circle the Big Brown when the southern stairway leads all the...never mind" but generally tags along, following in Mudlark's footsteps.

She turns back to the others.

"Like the woman said, let her do the talking, I think that would be easiest."

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rex »

Vatn

"That is fine with me unless it is obviously not going well."

Return to “Light of Lost Souls (BX)”