Rules

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Rules

#1 Post by Grognardsw »

Rules
- AD&D 1e. For those who don’t have those books, OSRIC (free PDF at http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/d ... /OSRIC.pdf) can serve, though AD&D 1e charts, etc. will have priority. And I’m available of course for any questions.
- Weapon specialization available to single-classed fighters and rangers only, per Unearthed Arcana Additions and Corrections published in Dragon Magazine, Nov., 1985

House Rules
- Natural 20 is a critical hit, double damage. Natural 1 is always a miss, sometimes with negative consequences to self or others.
- XP is not awarded for GP. XP % bonus for high ability scores is not in effect. XP isrewarded for role-playing, clever ideas and other stand-outs.
- If it is not on your sheet the character doesn't have it.
- Character multiple attacks (e.g. a bow attack with 2 arrows per round): the second attack occurs at the end of the round. For 3/2 attacks, the two attacks happen on the second round of combat.
- When firing missiles into melee: if you miss, there is a 50% chance you hit someone else. That someone else is determined by logic or, if multiple targets, is rolled for randomly.
- For touch attacks (e.g. Shocking Grasp), the defender's AC is just Dex. bonus and shield if any. One is not trying to penetrate armor, just touch.
- Movement is the straight number, not multiplied for running.
- Please link rolls to the camaign; on-the-fly rolls will not count.

Posting
- Every 1-2 days, daily preferred. If a stray player can't respond in three days, I may NPC him for that action based on his default actions described in the character sheet.
- Any two-character players, please keep each character post separate
- Please start each post with character name / location at top. For example, Shen the Monk / dungeon hallway
- Please spoiler your dice roll results in Action thread posts
- Please keep OOC chat or questions out of the Action thread and in the OOC thread, or in spoilers.

Rolling Dice
Please create macros for your most frequent actions following this sample with (unmodified THACO) and modifiers (the “X”):

Andover’s To Hit with Long Sword (THACO: 18) [1d20+X], S/M Damage [1d8+X], L Damage [1d12+X]
Ability Check / Non-Weapon Proficiency Roll [1d20]

Please link to the Dice Roller rolls. Spoiler these rolls in your post.

Group initiative is used.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Rules

#2 Post by Zhym »

From the action thread:
Grognardsw wrote:Honnilee sling attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 damage [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 Oh, fumble. Honnilee sling fumble 1-50% hit someone else, 51-100% it breaks [1d100] = 74 Sling breaks.
Is 50% chance of breakage the usual rule? If so, that seems a little harsh—one attack in 40, roughly, will lead to weapon breakage. That's costly, especially given that the rule doesn't equally affect the party's opponents, most of whom we'll never see again (making weapon breakage less long-lasting a penalty) and have strong non-weapon attacks (in the current combat, for example, neither a water weird nor an obliviax would suffer at all from "weapon breakage").

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Grognardsw »

Zhym wrote:From the action thread:
Grognardsw wrote:Honnilee sling attack [1d20+2] = 1+2 = 3 damage [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4 Oh, fumble. Honnilee sling fumble 1-50% hit someone else, 51-100% it breaks [1d100] = 74 Sling breaks.
Is 50% chance of breakage the usual rule? If so, that seems a little harsh—one attack in 40, roughly, will lead to weapon breakage. That's costly, especially given that the rule doesn't equally affect the party's opponents, most of whom we'll never see again (making weapon breakage less long-lasting a penalty) and have strong non-weapon attacks (in the current combat, for example, neither a water weird nor an obliviax would suffer at all from "weapon breakage").
No, my fumble house rule "...sometimes with negative consequences to self or others" is intentionally vague. I just decide on the spot, whatever seems right or funny for the story. I wouldn't have a metal weapon break. I can picture a sling band breaking in the hobbit's excited hands. I assume he has an extra sling band, like others have an extra bow string, even if few mark such down on their sheets.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Okay. I was worried there. :)

But isn't a medieval sling different from a slingshot? I thought a sling was basically a strip of cloth.

Huh. Wikipedia says it's more like a cord:
Weapon_Sling_2.jpg
Weapon_Sling_2.jpg (10 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

Grognardsw
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Grognardsw »

That can snap too. Maybe he'll tie the two parts together again. TK can decide the build of the sling.

Return to “War is Hell - Palace of the Silver Princess”