Ironguard: Keep of Lord Aerik.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ironguard: Keep of Lord Aerik.

#1 Post by Spearmint »

Ironguard Keep:

Built of granite stone and established in a prominent position overlooking the Citadel and giving a view over the surrounding Blackened Forest reaches, the Keep is home to Lord Viscount, Duke Kell Aerik of Ironguard.

Within the palisade of crenellated walls and high towers is a large Manor, private chapel and barracks area. A standing force of around four score men-at-arms are permanently stationed in duty and a similar number of administrative Seneschals and chamberlains scurry to and fro, carrying out the edicts and statutes that run the realm smoothly. His small counsel of advisors include the leading clerics and sages of the main chapels and Collegiate, a Chancellor overseeing revenue and customs, a Field Marshall in charge of military affairs.

Spritely despite his 60+ years of age, the Duke reigns still. His eldest son and heir Perafin Aerik recently died under suspicious circumstances and now Lord Krothos of Helix is in line to claim the throne upon his Father's demise.

An audience with Duke Kell Aerik may be granted under exceptional circumstances.

Attachments
Keep Ironguard
Keep Ironguard
60-600296_tribal-wars-2-castle-hd-png-download.png (735.63 KiB) Viewed 526 times

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ironguard: Keep of Lord Aerik.

#2 Post by Spearmint »

An audience with Duke Kell

Sven and Orgoth.

Once the action is over, Sven makes his way to the agent for Duke Aerik hoping he can get a word in with the buyer.

“Congratulations good sir! I think the Duke will be thrilled to own such a fine textile. I would love to see where this beauty is displayed before we leave town again. Is there any chance we could get a tour of the hall and maybe a quick meeting with his Lordship?”
Not an unusual request to make and seeing as the tapestry is a unique relic, the Seneschal acquiesces, at least for the Duke to meet the young explorers who discovered and refurbished the artefact.

While you don't get a great tour, you do get received into a wide galleried banquet hall that displays many shields and swords of feudal knights who support the realm. Long wooden tables are set out with silver platters, goblets and marquee earthenware dishes. No chance to pinch any though as you are shadowed by two accompanying pikemen decked in plate cuirass and 'Conquistador' style feathered Morion helms.

A blank wall seems prepared for the tapestry which labourers from the auction house carefully carry, cautious not to drag the hem on the floor and set about hanging it in place.

As you watch it being straightened out, you become aware of a group behind you. The Seneschal bows formally as the Duke approaches.

"Marvellous. Let us hope the dragon does not actually fly away."
Attachments
Duke Kell Aerik
Duke Kell Aerik
IMG_20220527_144143.jpg (367.27 KiB) Viewed 525 times

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#3 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven's eyes nearly bulge out of his head at the sight of the Duke, his buttery smooth accent flowing with charm and regality. The young mage mimics the actions of the Seneschal, bowing low and trying to remember his best manners here. He look up at Orgoth, trying to gauge his reactions before clearing his throat to answer.

"Yes, my Lord. Very marvelous, indeed. And it pleases us both greatly that you appreciate this long lost relic of your realm. Procuring it was not easy work, and we owe the craftspeople behind its restoration a great deal of the credit. We are honored that you've allowed us to view it in its prestigious display area inside your magnificent halls, my Lord. If you would you like to know more about it sire, the two of us would be happy to stay for a while and share how we came across such a treasure, my Lord."

Not actually sure how you strike up a normal conversation with such a powerful man, the young mage relies on pleasantries and compliments to start the proceedings.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth will use a dose of his Cinders Oinkment (+1 to Chr, 11 now) just before meeting with the Duke. Sheet updated.

Orgoth bows low with Sven, very impressed with the powerful Duke.

"My Lord Duke, it is an amazing work of art to be sure. Lost for who knows how long to the sight of Men."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Creamed up with a lacquered smile and tanning foundation that rosy's his cheeks, Orgoth tries to make a more favourable impression.

Sven has no such enarmouring, hoping to curry favour with patronising pleasantries.

"Well, let it be revealed and may it encourage other venture forth." Duke Kell responds, waving a goblet in the dragon's direction and draining the wine in a salute. "And a salute to you both. Such relics decorate not just my halls but the realm. We need such to inspire."

He gestures too at the mounted shields, "Here be Lazenby, Galavar, Eichenstein, Goldgriff, Newark & Brightblade. Knights of old every one yet diminished each year in remembrance. Their passing mourned, few measure up to their mark. Less still since my cohort thins with the fatal extravagances of my heir." he lauds the memory of the men whose heraldry lines the banquet halls, commiserating that recent knights have died on a flawed endeavour. He throws the cup which bashes a wall.

There is silence then he speaks, "My pardon gentlemen. I forget myself though we honour the remembered brave before us."

"Quite so ... Amen to that ... Noble men, Sire ... Were Perafin still with us ... We shall conquer in your name Duke Aerik ..." the cohorts reply to his outburst.
. If you would you like to know more about it sire, the two of us would be happy to stay for a while and share how we came across such a treasure, my Lord."
"Do tell." he says.

actions and comments please

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#6 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven takes a few liberties in front of the Duke, motioning to a table where they all might sit and chat. He claps his hands twice loudly before he starts. "More wine for Duke Kell, please!"

Once they are refilled and comfortable.....

"Don't worry about a little outburst, sire. For we all know that heavy is the head that wears the crown, my lord."

With interludes from Orgoth, Sven regales the duke with his story about their initial trip to the mounds with the budding squires at the behest of his own son to find the staff he sought for himself. Sven knows they didn't find the tapestry while on this particular mission, but he is trying to learn as much information as he can while slowly divulging some of his own.

The young mage does his best to play up the parts about the brave knights the duke lost, trying to determine how distraught this makes the duke without causing any more emotional pain to his generous host. "Heroes each and every one, sire." He tells of how they interred the bodies of the fallen knights as best they could, despite the hardships after fighting the undead guardian bear of Silas, bragging up the squires where he can.

Using the tension he already senses about the duke and his current situation, he attempts to milk any information about Krothos, Ollis, or anyone else he can, all while judging they way the man reacts to each passing conversation.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

Orgoth plays along with Sven. Filling in minor details now and then.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Spearmint »

An audience with Duke Kell
He claps his hands twice loudly before he starts.
"See, we have a new steward in the making!" remarks the Duke, as Sven orders a cupbearer to refill the goblet. The Duke nods and others are refilled too and you get you own chance to drink and salute the shields and Ossithrax tapestry.

"So you have trained in the militia at the Manse. Just odd sessions. I must see how you fare. Can you joust and ride lance or has my Son no champions to wager his honour against?" the Duke says as Orgoth fills in a few details, mentioning the recovery of the staff earned him favour which he used in further training. The Duke expresses two interests.

Listening intently to the rites given to the fallen knights, "They should be exhumed and laid to rest in the Cathedral crypt yet I fear that such service is beyond their bodies though their shields were borne away." He accepts that such an undertaking in the present clime would be risky and they are best left where they lay. just as well for some bodies were burned in a funeral pyre and others taken by whoever set the Hellfire trap.

His second interest is piqued with mention of the crown and staff used by Silas 'the Bear', Chief of the Mercians'. That Lord Krothos covets to wield both as a representation of his authority. You can see a frown and depth of thought crossing the Duke's brow. "This barbarian was a pagan. He did not walk in the Righteous light of St Ygg and his sceptre and rule where not forged in his truth and ways."

You catch him whispering an errand boy to summon the Bishop. Perhaps some hierarchical oversight is needed to temper the Helix church from being too lax in its pastoral and counseling ministry.

Your conversation returns back to the tapestry and you share regarding the refurbishment and the bitter trading at the auction house. Mentioning that Ollis had expressed interest in requisitioning it in behalf of Krothos for a fraction of the cost and the suggested levying of a tax on the sale of such capital items.

"Taxes are the lifeblood to serve the people. The Duchy is laden with many burdens and the yoke is borne by the many secure the standing army, to build the roads, smooth the bureaucracy, restore the public domains.

Yet I understand it may grind that the Duke buys your tapestry with gold from one hand and takes back with the other. While I cannot alleviate the revenue due I can at least make sure the money is not wasted upon wine and wench but upon the good people in the village."

He sends for a scribe and notes down an edict which tells Krothos that your tax payment is going to be matched by the Crown and the amount to be spent in certain constructive ways. (For example reopening the chalk quarry as this not only supplies mining labourers work but the mineral acts as a fertiliser upon the acidic peat soil turning it more productive for crops).

He seals it with his signet ring and passes it to you, at which point you both take your leave.

you can each make any closing comment.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rex »

Orgoth

"Alas Lord, I am no knight. But a humble caravan guard turned adventurer."

"I thank you for your generosity Lord."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#10 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sven enjoys their time chatting with the most powerful person in the lands. Maybe a little too much.

"Steward in the making? Is that the position your current court mage started at, sire?" He jokes, but is actually open for any future considerations. :mrgreen:

"And don't let Orgoth sell you short. He may not have the skills of a true knight, but what he lacks in pomp and circumstance, he makes up for with real grit, loyalty, and personal pride in always doing what is righteous, my lord. He would make a fine knight someday, if such a thing is allowed one of his race."

The young mage nods along emphatically with both of the Dukes concerns. "I am not certain if Lord Krothos has any Knightly representation at the moment, but I do know your knight's squires are already well into their trainings."

"As for the staff and crown, I hope it doesn't displease you that we aided in their recovery, as we were only acting upon the authority of the crown, my lord. I am uncertain the motives behind the desire, nor do I understand the power of either item, but I will say that your son did indeed express a great longing to obtain the pagan articles, sire. His advisor even more so, it seemed to me."

He thinks on this momentarily before finishing.

"If it pleases you my lord, the two of us could act as your private liaison, so to speak, regarding such matters. I am not suggesting anything nefarious mind you, but if we see anything we might deem as questionable behavior, we could certainly take the effort to inform you of it personally, my lord."

He doesn't let on about the suspicions in Helix behind his sons current advisor, but he doesn't shy away from any discussion about the man either.

"Your generosity with the tax donation is a reward I will not forget, my lord. Your reputation as a firm and fair ruler is very well deserved, sire. It is refreshing to the mind a young peasant turned explorer like myself."

The budding wizard bows low at their parting, smiling from ear to ear, and hopefully leaving a lasting impression on the man in case he ever needs to return again.

Just so I have this correct, he is sending along 2,000gp with us to add to our 2,000gp in taxes for payment to the Helix manse?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Just so I have this correct, he is sending along 2,000gp with us to add to our 2,000gp in taxes for payment to the Helix manse?
You can deposit it in the Duchy bank here and he equips you with a scroll that will bank the transactions between the Manse and the Keep.

The Duke nods, taking another goblet and going about his duties as the Seneschal sees you both out. Certainly you could expect a raven-post to arrive in Helix before you, the Duke doing his due diligence to check on those who enter his courts.

News of any noble endeavours, new magics created or relics uncovered will surely reach his ears sooner rather than later.

Return to “Settlement: Ironguard Motte”