The Gnoll Problem

Tamerlaine
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Thatchum I - IC

#21 Post by The_Wanderer »

Snowdrop
kwll wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:14 am Han takes a long, somewhat surprised look at the elven kin sitting next to him and offering his hand. He smiles and eventually takes it -- after missing it the first time. "That would be fun, I guess, to go and investigate this phenomenon together! You can call me Han."
"Yeah - it would beat running away from gnolls! Did you happen to see where you overheard that? I'd be happy to ask more about the stones to find out where they are."

Snowdrop slides off her chair and will make her way toward a group of locals who maybe were talking about standing stones and interrupts them. "Hi - are you from around here? I'm not...but was planning on doing a little exploring. I heard some talk of mysterious standing stones in the area and was wondering if you knew anything about them...like are they in a specific place in the wilderness or are they just kind of spread out all over the area?"
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#22 Post by Tamerlaine »

Fochelle

After having a beer and arranging her lodgings with Truna, the red-head leaves and does a little shopping among the stalls and shops within Thatchum. One thing she does notice is the towering block of salt shaped like a rough-hewn golem in the middle of the marketplace. Inscribed within the symbol of the Earth is the sigil of salt. Around the base are small statuettes carved out of salt, bottles of brine and effigies of Bormanus, god of salt.

Making your way to the manor house, you note the statue of Syldina, the Winter Warrior, at the center of the manor grounds. You are brought before the Seneschal, a tall, thin man of serious mien sitting at a desk covered with books, scrolls, and maps. “Your timing couldn’t be better. Lord Von Saultier is looking for a group of brave souls to take care of the gnolls in the Fargone Forest roughly north-east of Thatchum. The Black Teeth as they are known, these creatures have been raiding the caravans and taking slaves. I am authorized to pay a bounty of five gold per head, and I mean you will bring me their heads for proof.”

Actions?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Tamerlaine »

Spearmint wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:59 pm Spiridon
"I have heard but never seen for myself this wondrous sight of drifting lands, floating above as clouds in the sky.

Please tell me more about them."
Truna laughs. "Tis a wonderous sight indeed. That chunk of rock floating above the Great Salt Reach...yes, quite the sight. Called Highfell it is, an ancient school of magic and home for all manner of wizards sitting at the top of the Dwimmerhorn mountain. One night as the story goes, on the sixth minute of the sixth hour of the sixth day, there were flashes of eerie green light from atop the mountain followed by an explosion that was heard and felt even here in Thatchum. HIghfell was blown off the Dwimmerhorn but miraculously the city just floats the breadth and width of the Reach. No one knows the how or the why, it just does. Many a brave or foolish soul have attempted to reach the city to plunder its secrets, fewer and fewer return."

Actions?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#24 Post by Tamerlaine »

Snowdrop the gnome sits with the group and comments about the gnolls and her philosophy of ‘running faster than the slowest among us’ before introducing herself.

Han thinks about Fochelle a little before remarking that the standing stones would be be something he’d like to see.

Rardi the red-headed dwarf gives her opinion about gnolls, ‘T'aint no worse then Drow or Kobolds in the Underdark’ and remarks quite casually that she wouldn’t mind killing some beastie gnolls and that it would be fun also.

Elesyr from Threshold makes his introduction to the group after overhearing Han’s remarks about the standing stones. He also remembers not only the tale related by Truna about Highfell, but Elesyr knows that the great Archmage Matoowb founded the Order of the Mystics here in Thatchum. He not only started building the Spelltower but founded the town of Thatchum itself. Sadly the Great Matoowb has long since passed way. The Order specializes primarily in abjuration, evocation, and transmutation. Elesyr too wants to accompany those that would visit the standing stones.

Actions?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon
Many a brave or foolish soul have attempted to reach the city to plunder its secrets, fewer and fewer return."
"How bizarre and interesting. I assumed it was a natural feature. Some mineral that is magnetised and repelled by the earth's magnetic crust and held in place by the cosmic balances."

He spouts dwarven rock theory. "Sounds like the Wizards experimented too much."

The last comment Truna makes is interesting. So some folk have ascended into the clouds and explored and some have returned. "Is there anyone in Thatchum who has such experience? Perhaps the Lord or one of the mages who survived the catastrophe?"
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle
“Your timing couldn’t be better. Lord Von Saultier is looking for a group of brave souls to take care of the gnolls in the Fargone Forest roughly north-east of Thatchum. The Black Teeth as they are known, these creatures have been raiding the caravans and taking slaves. I am authorized to pay a bounty of five gold per head, and I mean you will bring me their heads for proof.”
Considers the request. She 'hmms' a bit.

"I can take the bounty but there are more considerations to what you say. Decapitating and scalping these humanoid dog-soldiers is a grim business and raises the prospect of more serious reciprocal actions. I would not want to be the root cause of settlers head's being stuck on a pike outside the stockade gates. I will slay whoever opposes me in battle, I can give no quarter or extend mercy in equal measure but wanton brutality I will not endure.

As to slavery, that is a foul business and a noble task to end it. I am sure I can recruit stout hearts to rally around such a cause. No doubt a ranger may be hired from among those merchants at the corral of caravans or warrior's guild to guide us appropriately.

If I am to carry Von Saultier's pennons before us and act in his name, then I humbly ask his underwriting of the expedition. May his scribe produce a scroll, waxed with his seal of office, that authorises us to act in his and the Duchy's name.

Secondly I require a reward of 50 gold for each man, woman and child brought to safety. I am sure Von Saultier values his citizens tenfold above the life of a hoary dog.

Such an endeavour is not without risk. The health of my team and the escappees is of paramount import and so having needs to heal their wounds is a great boon. Can he furnish me with healing salves and potions?

I will return with a report, detailed in regard to the Gnoll tribe, their numbers, movements, ambitions, ritual practices. Such knowledge may further our Lord's endeavours to secure the frontier."

She barters a deal with the Seneschal, trying to wean from him some extra benefits and conditions. If such an expedition is successful (by that she considers rescuing half a dozen or more slaves and scouting a Gnoll camp) then she hopes to gain an audience proper. She suspects the Gnoll issue might be a long term campaign needing several raids. She quite expects to be told her demands are outrageous or about her lack of experience but she can counter argue regarding the security of the merchant caravans and more settlers being at risk and the Lord's present impotency to deal with the issue.

Once an amicable agreement can be sorted, she leaves, expecting to return at dawn to get any supplies and papers and set off for the Fargone.

Fochelle tries on some Charismatic charm vs 14 [1d20]=10
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle
Making your way to the manor house, you note the statue of Syldina, the Winter Warrior, at the center of the manor grounds.
Finishing her audience with the Seneschal, she will spend time in contemplative prayer and devotion at the statue.

She lays her own feathered spear at the foot of the statue, bowing low and praying for grace and favour upon her endeavour to release captive slaves from the gnolls. She places an offering of an inscribed arrow, etched with her name and fletched with feathers of different colours that might represent certain traits as strength, courage, compassion.

After a suitable time (if no Syldina cleric is about), she leaves to return to the tavern.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle

Returns to The Wanton Wench.

It might be late evening by now. She looks for the caravan companions and goes to discuss a business deal with them.

" Spiridon, Han, Rardi, Snowdrop . I have enquired of the Lord at his manor house and secured a commission to go and raid some Gnoll camps in the Fargone Forest. Apparently they have raided merchant caravans and taken settlers away as slaves. .

I will leave in the morning at dawn and invite you to come on an equal risk and reward basis. Gold and glory awaits, who is with me?"
Last edited by Stirling on Sun May 22, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by tarlyn »

Rardi

"Killin' stinkin' Gnolls fer gold? Count me in. Thumper bin' a bit lonely lately an' I wants ter keep it 'appy after all."

She pats her Battle Axe affectionately, like a friend or lover.
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon

Listens to the request for aid from the archer of Syldina. Seems like red heads and red beards are hot heads, wanting to go assasult some renegade Gnoll tribe.

Mind you, the Standing Stones will still be standing this time next week while slaves are made to toil or worse. (He imagines a big cauldron bubbling with captives for the stew).

When the dwarf intercedes with, "you shall have my axe" he gets provoked to say, "and my bow!"

After committing himself to the trip he takes another beer and then thinking as ever, it could be a terminal foray, goes to find out just how wanton these comely wenches are.

I have all I need unless we need to chip in for supplies, so I can be ready in the morning to depart.
The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by The_Wanderer »

Snowdrop

"Well, I do hate the idea of slavery...even more than I hate the idea of missing your first big adventure opportunity. I will come with as well."

She surreptitiously checks out her new companions, trying to identify which of them she'd beat in a foot race, fully laden. "Do we leave in the morning then?"

Tamerlaine - how will you want us to be tracking supplies/rations etc.? That probably determines if we need to stock up. Likewise costs for lodging.
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by kwll »

Han looks at Fochelle come again, talk a long while and accepting little answers, leave again and come back again making an offer. "My, my, this lady makes me tired just looking at her!" he thinks to himself.

Figuring out that it would be a lot safer for him to stay around the people he knows, no matter how little, rather than swell alone in this small village, he readily accepts to join the party. "I have little sympathy for gnolls myself. I will help, to the best of my capacities." he says. To Spiridon, he adds: "Hopefully, we will have opportunities to explore the standing stones at a later time."
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#33 Post by Tamerlaine »

Spearmint wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 1:01 pm Spiridon "Is there anyone in Thatchum who has such experience? Perhaps the Lord or one of the mages who survived the catastrophe?"
Truna takes a moment to think, her brows furrowing before finally shakjing her head. "Ach no, I dinnae know of anyone 'ere still in Thatchum. But ye know, I'm sure the wizar...erm, the Mystics in the tower might have something or someone that could answer yer questions."

Actions?
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Spiridon

Considers Truna's counsel. He leaves enquiring of the Mystics in their tower for another time having committed to helping the red haired Fochelle and red-beard Rardi on the Gnoll issue.

So, he follows up on his second action, an extra beer and a comely wench if such tavern delights abound.

He is geared up and practically ready to leave town as soon as needed.
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#35 Post by Tamerlaine »

The whole time of Fochelle's proposition, never did the seneschal look up from his writing, the scratching of his quill flowing with the red-head's words. When she had last finished, the seneschal replied while writing still. "This is a frontier and those who come to live in the Brine know they are at risk of danger. The baronet's coffers are almost bare so there will be no reward for anyone rescued from these loathsome creatures. The baronet is considering other means of compensation in the form of some status, title or jewelry of his own provided the entirety of the Black Fang tribe are eradicated for good. If you look around, no doubt you will find a ranger or similar woodsman who may be of considerable talent in locating the tribe within the depths of the Fargone Forest."

His quill finally stops and the seneschal then pours crimson wax on the bottom of the parchment and presses the face of a rather large signet ring into the cooling puddle. He turns the missive around and pushes it toward the edge of his desk. "This is a signed and sealed statement giving you and those accompanying you the status of temporary agents of the baronet with authority limited to hunting down and destroying the gnoll menace with the reward of five gold per head. Indicated within is an request with the Mystics for healing potions. Just swing by the tower and show them this paper."

The very model of efficiency takes a glance at his hourglass. "I'm soon due for a meeting with the Exchequer. Do you agree to take the contract?"

Actions?
Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Tamerlaine »

Fochelle returns to the Wanton Wench and tells them of her trip to the Seneschal and the contract to eridicate some beastie gnolls and earn coin for their efforts.

Rardi the flame-bearded dwarf is heartily on board. Killing gnolls...for gold?! Hell yeah! She pats Thumper her weapon with care and affection, ready to go!

Snowdrop joins in with her assent, both hating slavery and not wanting to miss out on an opportunity to go adventurin.'

Still like, super-impressed with Fochelle's initative and energyy, Han throws his hat (or is it a crown of daisies?) into the ring as well figuring safety is in numbers. But he's still determined to check out the stones when its all done with the gnolls.

Actions?
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#37 Post by kwll »

The perspective of a status in the neighboring area is of not much interest to Han, nor does the coins. However, slavery is not something he would easily let happen without intervening. He rises and asks: "When do we leave then? And what preparations should be made before we depart?".

His question is addressed to lady Fochelle, who seems to have taken upon herself to lead the effort.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Stirling »

Fochelle

At the Manor House:

She is surprised at the Seneschal so callously casting aside those enslaved. The priority for Von Saultier is clear, he wants rid of the gnolls but cares little for his people.

Pleased though she gets some recognised authority and importantly some supplies to assist the endeavours success. Perhaps Ince she has proved herself, Von Saultier will be more amenable to other suggestions.

Status or title. Hmmm, she imagines Mrs Von Saultier might be a worthy one, having never met the man she hopes him to be a dashing, charming prince. Single of course. A ring, ruby, diamond, an emerald of flashing green like her eyes?

Dreams aside, she settles for five gold a Gnoll. Enough for a week's warm bed and full stomach.

Taking the papers she returns to the tavern.

I edited my previous tavern post as no reward for rescuing slaves was offered.

The Wanton Wench

"We leave in the morning. So drink your fill and buy whatever supplies you personally need. I think we might be gone at least a week. I will hire a ranger and any men-at-arms who can torchbear for us and recoup that cost from the trove we amass."

Before the evening ends she will collect the Healing Potions from the Mystics.

Approaching their tower she knocks on the door, enters and approaches any elder or senior mage.

"Good evening Sir. I have this request for you to fulfill from Lord Von Saultier. It requires your assistance with supplies from your vaults to aid in this precarious quest." She presents the order.

After this she goes about hiring a ranger and perhaps other camp aides.
tarlyn
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by tarlyn »

Rardi

The burly Dwarf sighs, eager for action.

"So we be leavin at our earliest convenience? Ter kill us some Gnollies? An git some gold or germs for our troubles?

Hell yeah! Thass' whut I be talkin aboot.... If nuthin' else, I wants ter git some sleep afore we head out fer them hairy Gnoll

beasties."
"I drained the soul of a monk once....... It tasted like Chocolate."
kwll
Ranger
Ranger

#40 Post by kwll »

Han inquires on the tariffs for a one night accommodation. Having gathered quiet a few coins from his previous activities, he spends some time looking about the village for anything he could acquire that could help him in the forthcoming quest.

Return to “Highfell: The Drifting Dungeon (LL)”