Greyhawk Rules/House Rules

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Greyhawk Rules/House Rules

#1 Post by hedgeknight »

House Rules

Here are just a few things I've come up with through the years - some are my own, and some I stole...borrowed from other DM's. And...these are up for discussion, change, addition, etc. Remember: this is OUR game! Also, this link is killer > http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

Combat & Healing:

Dice Rolls

You fellers are in charge of your initiative, attack and damage rolls, and saves. Spellcasters roll damage and/or healing, plus duration for spell effects if applicable. I'll roll everything else.

Critical Hits/Misses

> A natural "20" is a Critical Hit and does double damage.
> A natural "1" is a Critical Miss. Roll another attack and if another "1" occurs, roll damage against yourself. Otherwise, you just drop your weapon. A "1" on a ranged weapon like a bow or sling, results in breaking the string or strap.

Healing Nonlethal Damage
: You heal nonlethal damage at the rate of 1 hit point per hour per character level. For example, a 7th level wizard heals 7 points of nonlethal damage each hour until all the nonlethal damage is gone. (Thanks Alethan!)

Hit Points and Level Advancement:

When rolling hit points for level advancement, you make use one of two methods:
1/ Roll the dice (add Con bonus) and get what you get...OR
2/ Take half (plus Con bonus) > for example, Thurgrum advances to 2nd level and instead of rolling the dice, he takes half of d8 (4), adds his Con bonus (+1), giving him 5 hp to add to his total.

Completely and unashamedly ripped the info below from Hoon's game over on RPoL! :mrgreen:

Training and Leveling Up

By and large, I'm not going to be a stickler for training. Partially because you just went to all the trouble to get the XP, and partially because finding a trainer, then spending X number of days training, would slow down a game that, by its pbp nature, is already slow.

To level up, you need an undisturbed night's rest. The next morning you're considered to be your new level, with all the benefits thereof. Roll your new hit points (remember you get half or the die roll, whichever is better), recalculate THAC0, add thief skills, etc. Wizards get one new spell of their choice of any level they can cast, though if it's not from the PHB check with me first (no learning roll required).

The only things that would require training are "exotic" knowledge. This is again a sort of "check with me," dark area but some general guidelines would be:
* Weapon proficiencies from exotic lands (ie: great scimitar) or races (ie: dwarven two handed axe)
* Any sort of firearm...assuming that even comes into play!
* Specialized NWP from outside the PHB (ie: falconry, crowd working)
* Ancient history and ancient languages (note: can be learned from large libraries)
* Specific wizard spells (this is one option for getting additional wizard spells)

In those situations, the PC would have to track down someone who already had the knowledge and train with them to get it. You can, of course, keep proficiency slots unassigned until such time as you find the trainer.

Players > please do not post in this thread. Post any questions, concerns, gripes, threats, bribes, etc. in the OOC thread.
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Greyhawk Rules/House Rules

#2 Post by hedgeknight »

Character Creation Updates:

Starting Level: 2nd with 2500 xp.
For multi-classed characters, you would have 2000 per level.

Stats > roll 4d6 drop lowest...and if you don't like the first set of rolls, roll again!
Arrange however you like and then apply racial (or kit) adjustments if necessary.

Hit Points > max HP at first level and then you have two choices as indicated in my initial post above.

Proficiencies & Secondary Skills > yes and yes...if you want; if you don't, fine.

Spells > Druids may forego praying for spells and cast spells spontaneously due to their direct connection with the natural world.
Mages may earn bonus spells with high intelligence, similar to Clerics.
Mages and Illusionists begin with Read Magic and Detect Magic automatically.

Starting Equipment/Gold/Magic:
> Use table on page 66 of PHB; half gold for 1st level, then roll on table for levels beyond 1st.
> Each character will have 1-2 magic items. 1st level characters have one magic item; 2nd level characters have two magic items. Roll 1d4 to determine which list, then roll from the lists below:

On a roll of 1 or 2:
Potion (roll d20):
1/ Animal Control
2/ Clairaudience
3/ Clairvoyance
4/ Climbing
5/ Diminution
6/ Fire Resistance
7/ Flying
8/ Gaseous Form
9/ Growth
10/ Healing
11/ Heroism
12/ Invisibility
13/ Invulnerability
14/ Levitation
15/ Oil of Slipperiness
16/ Plant Control
17/ Polymorph Self
18/ Speed
19/ Super-Heroism
20/ Sweet Water

On a roll of 3 or 4:
Minor Magic Weapons/Items: (Roll d100)
01-75 - +1 Ranged Weapon (arrow, bolt, sling bullet, dart; half-dozen)
76-95 - Bracers of Defense AC7, Shield +1, or Melee Weapon +1 (your choice)
96-00 - Ring of Water Walking, Boots of Elvenkind, Javelin of Lightning, or +1 Armor (your choice)

Some additions to Armor/Equipment/Weapons:

Armor:
Leather Coat - Cost 7gp, AC 9, Wt. 10 lbs
Mail Shirt - Cost 100 gp, AC 6, Wt. 25 lbs
Steel Breastplate - Cost 300 gp, AC 5, Wt. 30 lbs

Weapons:
Axe, Two-Handed - Cost 20 gp, Damage 1d12, Wt. 20 lbs
Flail, Heavy - Cost 15 gp, Damage 1d10, Wt. 20 lbs
Katar (punching dagger) - Cost 3 gp, Damage 1d4+1, Wt. 1 lb
Mace, Heavy - Cost 12 gp, Damage 1d8, Wt. 12 lbs
Sword, Rapier - Cost 20 gp, Damage 1d6, Wt. 2 lbs

Missile Weapons:
Arrows (quiver of 20) - 2 gp, Wt. 3 lbs
Arrows (quiver of 12) - 15 sp, Wt. 2 lbs
Arrows (silver) 2 gp each, Wt. 0.2 lbs
Bolts (quiver of 12) - 1 gp, Wt. 1 lb
Hand Crossbow - 100 gp, Damage 1d4, Wt. 3 lbs

Miscellaneous Equipment:
I could list 100 or more items to add to the list from the PHB. Items such as winter blanket, grappling hook, horn, parchment, whistle, etc. It might be simpler just to say that if there is an item you want your character to have that is not on the 1E PHB list, just let me know and we'll work it out. Cool?

I'm using the same Equipment/Magic Items rules I use in all of my 1e games, so if there are some quirks, just let me know and I'll adjust.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures (2e)”