Liminus

tibbius
tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Liminus

#1 Post by tibbius »

# Liminus

A dirty, blood-stained, booze-breathed town on a border between Here and There. Liminus is about a mile across, and sprawling. Not many big buildings here, there's a compact downtown of small businesses and surrounding that are neighborhoods with small houses on quarter- and half-acre lots of scrubby red clay and sparse yellow grass. The downtown is run down with a few vacant buildings, potholed streets and cracked sidewalks. Away from downtown, some stretches of sidewalk and street have broken down to gravel or never were paved in the first place.
It's another arid day. Sun like a hammer, even through your hats. The white heat glimmers on the solar panels, up on the mesa; shimmers in waves above the potholed asphalt streets; glints off the chipped paint at the gas compressor station, northeast of town. The dry heat is easy on your skin, but your mouth and throat are parched, your lips are chapped. A thin clear fluid seeps from your sinuses, slightly pink: maybe from the powder that drifts on the breeze, maybe from blood. The cracked clay soil is a darker pink, with scrubby yellow grass and greenish-purple succulents keeping to themselves in scattered barrios of vegetation. Seems like every building has flaking paint, cracked windows, broken siding, inept graffiti, or a mix of all four. Some of the houses on the main drag have broke down vehicles on blocks in the front yard.
Last edited by tibbius on Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Liminus

#2 Post by tibbius »

## Factions in Town

The **Tophats**, who control the town government, have a standoff with the **Bluehands**, who want to strip the town for parts. The **Sheriff** is second-in-command of the Tophats and all her deputies are Tophat prospects.

The Tophats run the town without regard to either side of the **brewing war** between Here and There. The Bluehands are allied with There.

The **Tilgers** are the most respected family in town. They host picnics many weekends of the year. Leaders of the various factions attend. The **fambly picnics** offer chances to reduce differences.

The **Army** of Here has an **armory** in Liminus. It's a big arched concrete building behind a tall concrete wall. Usually locked and unmanned. Unpredictably, a few Army trucks will come and soldiers will inspect and inventory the building and grounds. The Army also has a **recruiting office** in town, staffed by two sergeants who apparently bunk in the back.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by tibbius »

## Places in Town

The **Graveyard**:: At the edge of the acacia groves on the north side of town, is the old Graveyard, with the **Tomb of the Famous Unknown**. Tourists come there for a fee, which is levied by the Tophat Gang. The Tophats don't let any locals worship at the Tomb.

Colonel Canivarl's **Rest Home**:: Toward the north side of town, overlooking the Graveyard, there is a large complex of buildings populated by the most distinguished elderly (and not-so-elderly) veterans and other former public servants of Here. A place where nobody listens.

The **Drunken Boblin**:: On the outskirts of town near the gulch, there is a bar with the logo of a goblin dressed as the Prophet Bob, complete with cigar and cocktail glass. The Tophats make decisions in a back room. Goblins aren't real.

Post Office:: Located right downtown. People get their mail and those who don't like to be in the Boblin socialize here. Some people say the clerk is a spy for There.

Saltinc:: The salt mine's '**company office** is on the edge of town near the mesa. The company has seen a drop in production and demand throughout the past decade. The office is a big building that used to be fancy, but some of the windows are boarded.

Mines Guild:: A smallish brick **union hall** that is located near the Post Office, downtown. It used to be a meeting hall for the Church of Bob. The silhouette of the pipe-smoking prophet is right above the double glass doors. One of the doors has been cracked for a couple of years.

Saucy Susie's:: Also near the Post Office and Mines Guild is a bright and cheerful **diner**. It's popular for date nights.

**Tilger Fambly Gocery**:: Liminus has two grocery stores. This one has been around since before the gas fields. There's no R in the sign or the business name, and "Fambly" is written on the sign and the corporate documents. The Tilgers are the most respected family in Liminus.

The **Combined County School**:: Big sprawling complex of older brick buildings, K-12, about 2000 students.

Atta Auto:: Doola Atta runs the best **vehicle repair shop**. "Clean-Competent-Quick" scrolls across the LED sign above the bays.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#4 Post by tibbius »

# Surrounding Terrain

North:: sheltered acacia grove

Northeast:: an eerie windswept plain; gas fields

Southeast:: sheltered acacia grove

South:: trailer park in dry dusty gulch

Southwest:: vantage from a mesa; immense solar farm

Northwest:: bridge across major river that splits Here from There
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “A Fistful of Crypto (24MBB)”