Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: A Call from the Mayor / Culty Callings

#122 Post by Bluehorse »

The Joliet (Blackwell) House
D.O.O.R. HQ
September 11, 2018 7:40pm
Dark, cool and clearing. Getting a little muggy.

Rex wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:47 pm Mac "We can contain spirits, but have never tested it on a demon so can't say it will hold for sure. Who is Otho?"
Actually... almost as an afterthought, he will remember that there have been plenty of cases where more powerful entities have been caught and contained, the trick is getting them in the trap(s). There have been some cases where Demi-Gods have been contained and it can put a strain on a containment unit, but there have been great strides made in the Spengler Tech since the beginning prototypes. The hard part is initially catching them.
GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:00 pm Roy informs Kelly everything that Papa Popascu told them and then tells her what he knows about Brother Barry and Ten-chiefs in his own fashion. I seriously don't feel like typing all of that stuff out so figured this covers it.
That is actually perfectly done :) I agree 100%. My only concern in these cases is what if anything you are withholding, embellishing, things like that. Here you indicate you are very candid with them and that works too. Thank you!
GreyWolfVT wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:00 pm"Thomas Ten-chiefs is a local shaman of the Caddo Tribe. He helped us with some jobs we ran into involving his culture. Brother Barry is a local Preacher we had a big job at his church. Ten-chiefs helped us with this very case." if I am not mistaken the one with the snakes, burial mound and all that.
Also correct!
Taaz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:26 pm Jason chimes in about Thomas..and a good friend, he helped us make peace with an avatar of A'ya'hi'ya. And loves his pizza he smiles to himself...
The witches exchange looks... well all but one. Then pay rapt attention to your story about the job and seem very impressed. Jeniveve Just smiles like she is silently saying I told you so.
Taaz wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:26 pmTo Gloria: Hmm...so maybe instead of trying to separate Belmont from the demon, we try to quarantine the cross. That has a whole other host of problems though
Gloria pauses and leans back as she considers that. That... may be a good approach. I won't pretend to know how your technology works, but the theory you have matches our philosophy of how using energy works through our craft. If you can work on something like that, then I would say pursue that line of thought in your planning. she seemed to really consider that as she spoke pensively, then looked up and nodded. Yes, I think that could work. I would prefer we not be directly involved, not where it is visible, she said looking at the younger witches pointedly. But... a group of witches could lay a suppression on the church itself... it is like a temporary binding. Like what they did at the old house. It would help limit what Kindle or Belmont could do while inside of it. But it is going to be difficult. With how long Kindle has been there, he will have doubtless laid his own traps and protections against us and others. Keep that in mind.

Now about these holy men you are working with... They will likely never admit it, but they work quite the same way with their own rituals and prayers. Prayers are just another form for spell casting, no matter the approach. You get out what you put in. The problem is getting them to work with one another.

Rex wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:35 pm Mac "Would a direct attempt on the cross risk freeing him completely? I like the idea of isolating the cross but we need to try and insulate ourselves from its influence that close to it."
Gloria she turns towards Mac and seems somehow... surprised. You are right. The destruction of the original tree is what weakened the hold it had on Kindle to begin with. We should consider that in our planning since you all seem hell-bent on doing this... if you'll forgive the choice of words. she seems to appreciate what Mac brought up.

Jennifer stops texting and nods. Otto's on the way over, he will be here in a minute. And you already know we are going, Gloria, otherwise Jenevive wouldn't have called us here.

Gloria harrumphs a bit and lights another flowery cigarette.
Urson wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:43 pmJoker Joker says nothing, but is listening to everything. He continues taking readings, and begins to consider what the proper application of high-energy physics would do to a demon-infested cross.
Kelly looks at Joker's PKE and seems curious. How's that work? What is it telling you? Do you think you can make something work like whatever it was you did at the old house?
Scott308 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:01 am Lionel "Freight Train" Williams So, would we need a priest to do an exorcism? You know- holy water, "Power of Christ compels you!" Like in the movie- pea soup, the girl's head spinning?
Jennifer chuckles. Look around you. You are surrounded by exorcists. Our approach may be different but it works the same, just like what Gloria said. Skin it however you like, the ritual is much the same.
Scott308 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:01 am Lionel "Freight Train" Williams Lionel gets up and follows. What's this about? Who's this Ortho that she's texting?
Elizabeth was reaching into the fridge and took out a soda, handing one over to Lionel. Otto... he is one of the New Rationalists that the others are so fond of. Scientists basically. Trying to rationalize the bridge between science and the occult! she says with her hands in the air dramatically. We have the craft. We could just go in there with the Reapers... use them as muscle and distraction while we just deal with it. But they are too interested in playing nice with the press and meanwhile people are getting hurt. I don't see why we are tiptoeing around everyone else. It is a waste of time and we could have just done this a long time ago.

For the sake of time:
A short while later, there is someone at the door who lets themselves in and walks into the parlor. He looks rather unassuming, with his thin frame and rather unkempt hair. But other than that you wouldn't have guessed him to be associated with an organization of witches at first glance.
OttoSpellman.jpg
OttoSpellman.jpg (287.9 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Otto looks around the room and then to Jennifer. You rang?

Jennifer goes about quickly explaining what has been discussed and we can assume the rest of you correct and add to so that he is caught up to speed.

Otto nods and listens then scratches his scruffy chin. Makes sense... I mean... you don't want to break the thing he is anchored to too soon, or he gets loose, but if he is still anchored when you try to nab him, it might not work either. Like... if a bird is tied to a string but you want to put him in the cage, put him in the cage before you untie the string... but then you have to get your hand out before you can close the door...

Brownie Point Pool:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 187/214 @@
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 230/240 @
Roy O'Dowd: 284/290 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 265/268
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 548/550

@ = One free re-roll without ghost die.  Merry Christmas 2019 & 2020!

So... Tell Deaton Clause what you want for Christmas this year.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Urson »

Joker
Kelly looks at Joker's PKE and seems curious. How's that work? What is it telling you? Do you think you can make something work like whatever it was you did at the old house?

Joker gives Kelly the Cliff's Notes version of the PKE meter. I am no sure whether I can 'make something work'- but I believe that I can, IF I can identify the proper energy frequencies.

It sounds like I need to liase with the New Rationalists- we appear to be working toward the same goals.
FA FO

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#124 Post by Taaz »

Jason waits and listens to the new guest, Nice to meet you Otto, the issue is how. We can always deal with Belmont with some positively charged psychmagnatheric slime, that gives us a couple hours of him being off the board without having to hurt him, use that window to throw everything we have at the church.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#125 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Really out of his depth here, Lionel listens to the debate, watching to see how the witches react to various points being made or ideas suggested.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Rex »

Mac

"Hi Otto, I am Mac."

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#127 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy waves to Otto "Hey there Otto, names Roy."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Urson »

Joker

Hello. I'm Dzhokhar- everyone calls me Joker.

Aside, to Kelly: I want to talk to him, one on one. Can you help me set that up, later?
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Bluehorse »

Otto happily exchanges hellos and seems to be at least passively familiar with your theories and tech if coming at it from another approach.
Urson wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:02 pm Joker Joker gives Kelly the Cliff's Notes version of the PKE meter. I am no sure whether I can 'make something work'- but I believe that I can, IF I can identify the proper energy frequencies... It sounds like I need to liase with the New Rationalists- we appear to be working toward the same goals. Aside, to Kelly: I want to talk to him, one on one. Can you help me set t?hat up, later?
Kelly nods and seems to follow along fairly well. Would you be able to measure something audible? Like... if you can have something audible of the right frequency, could you use that to set the frequency on your energy field?

Otto catches this part of their conversation and quirks an eyebrow. A Harmonic resonance indicator? That would be interesting...
Theoretically, you could measure that with something like a Spectrum Analyzer... I'm not sure how they would translate over to something more energy-based like we are talking about... but it would work kind of like a doppler effect... You know... like radar?

Kelly looks between them and then see her sisters looking at her and gets a little bashful. If you think you can set something up... I think I can do the rest.
Taaz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:37 am Jason waits and listens to the new guest, Nice to meet you Otto, the issue is how. We can always deal with Belmont with some positively charged psychmagnatheric slime, that gives us a couple hours of him being off the board without having to hurt him, use that window to throw everything we have at the church.
Otto turns and looks at Jason. psych...magna...theric... he seems to break down the word mentally as he looks off into nowhere and then perks up. Yeah, the statue of liberty, right? Wasn't that what happened in '89? He thinks about it and shrugs. If you have a way to interrupt what the demon is doing, then I would say go for it. Anything is an edge. You can look at it kind of like working with bases and acids. Whichever one is the highest quantity would win out in the ph balance, but even introducing a little bit will change what you are working with. And if you can take Belmont out of the equation, that can only help you.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#130 Post by Taaz »

Bluehorse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:17 pm Otto turns and looks at Jason. psych...magna...theric... he seems to break down the word mentally as he looks off into nowhere and then perks up. Yeah, the statue of liberty, right? Wasn't that what happened in '89? [/dialog]
Yeah, thats our name for it. Basically powerful emotional events happen which normally just leave behind trace PKE energy actually starts to condense and form a colloidal, uh a slime as a reaction. Weve really only observed this in a way that is fuled on powerful negative emotions. The original guys in 89 figured out how to apply a positive PKE valence to the material through...various...experiments, and well its a helpful tool. He looks from Otto around the room while talking tech Works great on biologicals, hose them down and not only do you not hurt them, but they feel great afterwards. Crowd control that feels like a spa day.
Bluehorse wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:17 pm ...If you have a way to interrupt what the demon is doing, then I would say go for it. Anything is an edge. You can look at it kind of like working with bases and acids. Whichever one is the highest quantity would win out in the ph balance, but even introducing a little bit will change what you are working with. And if you can take Belmont out of the equation, that can only help you.
Do we have a solid basis on what its actually doing? I mean I have transcription of the Lectitio Divinitatus that says demons are bound in incredibly particular ways, but others that say they are chotic and unpredictable. Is he just corrupting because thats what he does and is? He listens to the explanation, So what do we need to weaken a big nasty like this, I wonder?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Urson »

Joker

A broad-spectrum oscilloscope would be a good start- to find sub- and ultra-sonic harmonics.... Joker is in his element- high energy physics and psychotheric spectra!

After we resolve the current trouble, I hope that I can sit down with you and your colleagues- I'm sure we have much we could teach each other.
While we were assisting the cadılar , I kitbashed a device that reinforced their spell-barriers. Given what you know of the entity Kindle, do you think it might help here?

Joker brings up a page of the specifications and test results for the gadget, and shares them with Otto.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Bluehorse »

D.O.O.R. HQ
September 11, 2018 7:50pm
Dark, cool and clearing. Getting a little muggy.

Otto continues with the hellos with all the group. He seems friendly and open if a little awkward. He has a semi-distracted look common among people more used to socializing with books and calculators than people.

When Joker explains the PKE to Kelly she nods seeming to grasp the theory if not the direct science. When the topic moves to him working with the New Rationalist of D.O.O.R. she nods. I think that would be a good idea.
Taaz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:37 am Jason waits and listens to the new guest, Nice to meet you Otto...that gives us a couple hours of him being off the board without having to hurt him, use that window to throw everything we have at the church.
Otto and the witches nod along and seem to agree. That makes sense to me. I think that is a route we should go when making any plans.
Urson wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:34 pm Joker A broad-spectrum oscilloscope would be a good start- to find sub- and ultra-sonic harmonics.... Joker is in his element- high energy physics and psychotheric spectra!
Otto perks up. I have an oscilloscope in the car... be right back...

As Otto goes outside, Kelly busies herself going to gather the items she needs. She comes back about the time Otto is back and they are setting up their equipment as everyone watched... well, except Jenevive who listens... Kelly lays out a black cloth and makes a sigil of some kind on it with salt and puts a small cauldron on it that is about the side of an orange but looks... old... and is clearly cast iron. She puts water into it and then lights a pair of candles, one white and one black. She takes out of all things a tuning fork and begins stirring the water inside with it as she chants to herself quietly... you cannot really make most of the spidery language out other than at the end when you hear Kindle.

Otto meanwhile has set up his small oscilloscope and is watching between what Kelly is doing and what the readout is. He seems to have tuned it to filter out the natural buzz of whatever was already ambient in the air and is waiting.

Then...
There is a change in the air... it is hard to perceive but from the looks around the table, everyone was aware of it, and Kelly began drawing the tuning fork out of the little cauldron a little at a time, running it around the rim as she did until the slowly everyone became aware of the pulsing, humming in the air from the vibrating instrument.

Otto hooked up a device that looked somewhere between a microphone and an ultrasound tool and held it out to the fork and the oscilloscope began displaying the results!
tumblr_49bbacc88ac879407a89ad25a8add07a_e89dde16_500.gif
tumblr_49bbacc88ac879407a89ad25a8add07a_e89dde16_500.gif (1.99 MiB) Viewed 892 times
Those that have never read or seen an oscilloscope before will see that it is not too dissimilar to your PKE displays, or at least the main part of it. All of you feel like you get a vague idea of what it means in relation to your prior knowledge.

Otto Whoops! loudly, making everyone jump and unfortunately causing Kelly to break the spell with a frown and a shrug. He looks around apologetically. Sorry. But we have a frequency... more like a spectrum flux, really, but it is enough to narrow to a defined bandwidth anyway... he prints off a ticker-tape of the reading and holds it up smiling.

Kelly smiles over at the others. Told you I could do it.
Urson wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:34 pm Joker After we resolve the current trouble, I hope that I can sit down with you and your colleagues- I'm sure we have much we could teach each other. While we were assisting the cadılar , I kitbashed a device that reinforced their spell-barriers. Given what you know of the entity Kindle, do you think it might help here? Joker brings up a page of the specifications and test results for the gadget and shares them with Otto.
Otto nods. I agree, we need to compare notes and see what we can come up with. I think our tech and theories are very similar.
They might work both ways... if you know what I mean.

What we have learned so far:
The Mayor doesn't want you working or associating with the witches.
The Joliet witches (Or D.O.O.R.) are aware of Kindle and the Ghostbuster's interest in him. They want to team up if only indirectly, and get rid of the threat.
D.O.O.R. is not just witches, but an organization of scientists and apparently even soldiers.
Kelly was able to get you a "frequency" for Kindle.
Brownie Point Pool:

So... Tell Deaton Clause what you want for Christmas this year.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#133 Post by Taaz »

Jason follows intently, trying to capture her movements and words on his phone.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#134 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Roy tries to follow along not really sure that he has anything to add or chime in about.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#135 Post by Scott308 »

Lionel "Freight Train" Williams

Hearing all the sciency science being scienced, Lionel begins looking around the room, noticing details among the furnishings and decorations.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Urson »

Joker
Joker is getting more quiet and engrossed with the results of their experiment. He takes exhaustive notes, planning to run some simulations later to search for all the harmonics.

Thank you, Otto. This may turn out to be the key to neutralizing this entity once and for all.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Bluehorse »

D.O.O.R. HQ
September 11, 2018 8:00pm
Dark, cool and clearing.

With the discussions and planning over for now and the new data collected, the team eventually wrap up their visit. The ride home is about as uneventful as it gets, and they are soon home at the Firehouse.

viewtopic.php?p=588635#p588635

Starting Brownie Point Pool:

Used Brownie Points:
Dr. Jason O'Roarke: 0
Lionel 'Freight Train' Williams: 0
Roy O'Dowd: 3
David "Mac" McAuslan: 3
Dzjokar "Joker" Jelal: 0

Success!

Roy O'Dowd: 3 x 150% = 5
David "Mac" McAuslan: 3 x 150% = 5

Starting Brownie Point Pool:
Roy O'Dowd: 289/290 @@
David "Mac" McAuslan: 270/270

I will be resolving all gained BPs in the Firehouse thread that is coming soon!
Last edited by Bluehorse on Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Bluehorse »

Premature on posting.

I am also awarding everyone the following additional points:

Potentially working an agreement with the Mayor: 5bp

Uncovering a secret about Julia by accident: 1bp

Meeting with DOOR and learning some more data about both them and an approach to dealing with Kindle" 9bp

Total Reward: +15bp to everyone.

Return to “Mission Archive”