003 - In South Port

joertexas
Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: 003 - In South Port

#21 Post by Darithe »

Dree pauses before answering Amistad's question, looking first to Aden and Mirek. She had made her decision regardless of what they would say, but ever the reserved bounty hunter, she likes to know where others stand before she speaks.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Eris »

Spearmint wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:32 am Amistad

"So you guys mounting up and coming or staying in South Port?" he asks his fellow mercenaries, Aden, Mirek & Dree.
"Yep!" Aden says as he steps into the strip and mounts the horse. He pats the horse's neck and whispers into its ear, "I'm not a master horseman, but I can stay on with your help, old friend."

Sitting back up, Aden flicks the reigns and clicks to his mount then says to it, "Okay, let's walk up and down the wagon line and see how it looks."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"Sure, let's make a note of wagons, cargoes, people."

The barbarian has Animal Handling proficiency so hopefully his riding skills are good.

He goes up and down the merchant caravan line making a visual inspection and charting with the merchant labourers.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by joertexas »

The caravan lines up in the Yard as Elaith and Ustasi prepare to depart. There are twenty-one cargo wagons, each with a driver and a co-driver, and each pulled by a pair of heavy draft horses. A baggage wagon and a chuck wagon round out the vehicles. A dozen mounted guards, not counting the four of you, are also accompanying the caravan.

Finally, all is ready, and Ustasi gives the order to move out. Four of the guards ride ahead of the caravan to scout, four ride behind the last wagon, and the last four group up ahead of the first wagon. Elaith is at the rear, and Ustasi rides next to the lead wagon.

The morning is cool and crisp, and the sky is clear, with a light wind from the northwest. The road quickly turns to a wide trail across the flatlands, where the wagons pick their way along the rutted hardpan ground, spreading out in an uneven line along the route. The massive horses make good time across the ground, and it's soon apparent that the caravanners have loaded their wagons with care, so that they aren't too heavy to maneuver on the unimproved trail.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

With a ten day trek before him, he settles into stride by the side of some wagons. He observes the drivers and assistants, chatting amicably with any should they converse.

He pats Dandelion, feeding her a carrot or apple at intervals. Boredom on the journey has not quite set in so he seems fairly perceptive.

Amistad: perception check [1d20]=20

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:44 am The caravan lines up in the Yard as Elaith and Ustasi prepare to depart. There are twenty-one cargo wagons, each with a driver and a co-driver, and each pulled by a pair of heavy draft horses. A baggage wagon and a chuck wagon round out the vehicles. A dozen mounted guards, not counting the four of you, are also accompanying the caravan.

Finally, all is ready, and Ustasi gives the order to move out. Four of the guards ride ahead of the caravan to scout, four ride behind the last wagon, and the last four group up ahead of the first wagon. Elaith is at the rear, and Ustasi rides next to the lead wagon.

The morning is cool and crisp, and the sky is clear, with a light wind from the northwest. The road quickly turns to a wide trail across the flatlands, where the wagons pick their way along the rutted hardpan ground, spreading out in an uneven line along the route. The massive horses make good time across the ground, and it's soon apparent that the caravanners have loaded their wagons with care, so that they aren't too heavy to maneuver on the unimproved trail.
Aden, not among those ahead or behind or right in front of the train, settles in on the right side at about the mid point. Aden looks to see how high the grasses are along the trail and how close any hills or rises in land are...looking for hidden opponents or traps along the right side of the caravan. [Perception: 19+5=24]
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by joertexas »

Eris wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:23 pmAden, not among those ahead or behind or right in front of the train, settles in on the right side at about the mid point. Aden looks to see how high the grasses are along the trail and how close any hills or rises in land are...looking for hidden opponents or traps along the right side of the caravan. [Perception: 19+5=24]
The greenery here is sparse, and the sandy soil is mostly flat, so there's relatively little cover for potential attackers.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 pm
Eris wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:23 pmAden, not among those ahead or behind or right in front of the train, settles in on the right side at about the mid point. Aden looks to see how high the grasses are along the trail and how close any hills or rises in land are...looking for hidden opponents or traps along the right side of the caravan. [Perception: 19+5=24]
The greenery here is sparse, and the sandy soil is mostly flat, so there's relatively little cover for potential attackers.
Aden looks to see where Amistad, Merik and Dree are riding, if any of them are on the same side as him, he'll ride over and say, "How about we ride out a couple of hundred yards, or so, to give a bit of warning if anyone is hiding along the path?" If none are, he'll just ride out himself and move along the side of the train from a bit of distance.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"Sure. We can go a bow shot away. "

Do any of the forward scout have horns or bugles? How do they sound a warning? We should have checked stuff like that was among the equipment.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by joertexas »

Spearmint wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:01 pm Amistad

"Sure. We can go a bow shot away. "

Do any of the forward scout have horns or bugles? How do they sound a warning? We should have checked stuff like that was among the equipment.
Amistad doesn't see any horns or similar devices. The scouts do wear neckerchiefs, which they use to keep from breathing dust from the trail.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#31 Post by Darithe »

Dree:

Dree nods silently, and follows Aden's lead. She didn't yet fully trust the man, but best to keep him in front of her than behind.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Eris »

Darithe wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:00 am Dree:

Dree nods silently, and follows Aden's lead. She didn't yet fully trust the man, but best to keep him in front of her than behind.
Aden keeps pace with the caravan about 200 yards off to the side with Amistad and Dree riding along with him.

"So, Amistad where are you from and what brought you to this frontier?" Aden asks, not looking at the big barbarian, but out across the flat bad lands.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"The Islands Archipelago. A domain of thick forest wilderness and steppe Savannah. Most tribal groups live as hunter-gatherers, nomadically wandering the grasslands and only corral together during winter seasons.

Our lore and knowledge is passed down from ancestors but that only makes us quite insular. There is much knowledge only foretold as prophecies and sooth-sayings, a wider world beyond our shores. Though for much of recent history, those who left native lands for foreign shores did so in shackles and shame. But the Islands are rich in minerals and traders seek to mine their worth in exchange for treaties, welfare, education, syphilis. I learned Elvish from speculators who came to craft their arcane arts and hunt big game trophies."

He has some vocational call to learn various 'new world' arts such as herbalism and medicine and a desire to explore other frontiers.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#34 Post by Eris »

Spearmint wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:38 am Amistad

"The Islands Archipelago. A domain of thick forest wilderness and steppe Savannah. Most tribal groups live as hunter-gatherers, nomadically wandering the grasslands and only corral together during winter seasons.

Our lore and knowledge is passed down from ancestors but that only makes us quite insular. There is much knowledge only foretold as prophecies and sooth-sayings, a wider world beyond our shores. Though for much of recent history, those who left native lands for foreign shores did so in shackles and shame. But the Islands are rich in minerals and traders seek to mine their worth in exchange for treaties, welfare, education, syphilis. I learned Elvish from speculators who came to craft their arcane arts and hunt big game trophies."

He has some vocational call to learn various 'new world' arts such as herbalism and medicine and a desire to explore other frontiers.
"Then this is more your terrain than mine." Aden says looking at Amistaid then adding with a smile, "I'm much more of a city boy."

"I have a strong dislike for shackles of any kind, though, so perhaps we have that in common." he finishes and turns to Dree asking politely, "And you, Miss Dree? From where do you hail and what brings you to this wilderness?"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Darithe
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#35 Post by Darithe »

Dree ponders the man's question for a moment before answering, "I come from the south," not elaborating on exactly where, "And I too dislike shackles. So I travel in the direction where the wind or my whim pulls me." She is clearly uncomfortable speaking of herself. "Wilderness...perhaps some would call it, but I find some form of wilderness wherever travel. The cities merely hold a different sort of wilderness and more than its fair share of wild beasts who roam its landscape. It has taught me to be wary where ever my feet take me. Father Moon and Sister Sun are the only creatures in this land in which I place my trust."

Return to “Exploring the North Lands (5e)”