16. Scouting the Troglodyte Lair (Alethan only!)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

16. Scouting the Troglodyte Lair (Alethan only!)

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Gwillt separates from the rest of the group, circling to approach the entrance at a 90-degree angle. The ranger moves relatively quietly in his studded leather armor, but it's difficult to disguise the sloshing sound he makes with each pace.

Slowly and deliberately, Gwillt begins to approach after satisfied with the distance placed between he and the rest of the group. Aside from the pesky insects, which are a constant nuisance, only an occasional frog or other small creature scampering to clear his path is detected.

As you close to within twenty yards or so, you notice opening you originally spotted actually funnels inward; you estimate it to be 10-12 feet wide at the outermost point and narrows to a width of roughly 5 feet at its narrowest. At this narrowest point, there appears to be a makeshift "door" of sorts which would normally conceal the entrance into the contents within.

Questions? Actions?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: 16. Scouting the Troglodyte Lair (Alethan only!)

#2 Post by Alethan »

OOC: So did I read it right earlier that the scent is an at-will "ability" for the trogs? That means I can't tell proximity by scent (assuming the wax plugs don't work)

OOC: Also, I was half tempted to say that Gwillt dug into his hears until he had enough wax to plug his nostrils instead of asking Epsilon for bits of wax from his candle, but I figured that would be waaaay too gross.

From his current position, Gwillt attempts to see what he can determine from the tracks around the lair entrance. Can he tell if the latest tracks are those of egress or return? If not, he'll wait in complete silence for a good 15-20 minutes to see if he notes anything unusual (hidden sentry, noise or activity coming from the lair entrance, that sort of thing) before stepping out into the open to try and get a better look at the tracks.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

They release their stench "when angered or engaged in melee" which I interpret to mean it is more at-will. At the very least, it's not a random or continuous thing.

Gwillt waits. Patiently. There is no hint of activity at the entrance during this time.

From his current location, Gwillt can tell that the tracks are numerous and in all directions, with well-worn paths running every which way. You suspect this group has been in their current location for some time.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#4 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:...From his current location, Gwillt can tell that the tracks are numerous and in all directions, with well-worn paths running every which way. You suspect this group has been in their current location for some time.

OOC: Meaning... Ah, I see now. Meaning this 'troop of trogs' (Like that? I just made it up; the only other "group" word that began with a "T" I could think of was "trust" and I don't know if that really fits, though it is an interesting description for a group of certain creatures) has been in this location for some time.

Gwillt cautiously steps out into the open so he can examine the tracks more closely. Specifically, he wants to note which direction the most recent activity takes. Back into the lair or out from the lair and towards a certain direction.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

Gwillt cautiously steps out into the open and begins to more closely study the tracks left outside the lair. Some appear more recent than others, but he is unable to determine the most recent set, and spots somewhat recent tracks heading both in and out. Most of the 'out' tracks seem to lead north, while a few head back towards O'Hare.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

"North?" Gwillt thinks to himself, trying to judge the location of O'Hare from here. "I wonder what is so interesting north of here..."

Here is a QAD map of how I see what's going on. Accurate? Somewhat accurate? Totally off?
Trog Lair.jpg
Trog Lair.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Here is a QAD map of how I see what's going on. Accurate? Somewhat accurate? Totally off?
Trog Lair.jpg
My apologies. First, my mi-fi device wouldn't connect this morning on my train ride in so I wasn't able to get an update in during my new normal time. Secondly, I'm a dolt. This should have read east, not north: "Most of the 'out' tracks seem to lead north east, while a few head back towards O'Hare."

O'Hare basically is to the north.

I've attempted to create a few maps of the area, from general to specific:

Overview
You should be vaguely familiar with this map. The lair is actually well south of the stream, past the waterfall. I did a piss poor job of detailing your tracking apparently.

Code: Select all

___  -> continues east
         /   
        / $
        |  $$ 
        /   $$
       |    $$$
       \   $$$$
       |    $$$
       |    $$$$
cliff  \     $$$ 
       /     $$$
       |    $$$$
       |    $$$
        \ X  $$$  <-- X = O'Hare
        |   $$$
$       /  $$$ 
 $ ____/   $$$
 $        $$$
  $$$$$$$$$$

S, SE

[lair]

O'Hare
Here's a basic representation of O'Hare. The first attacks did come from the west of town, but the creatures fled (and likely originated from the) south... where the second wave came from.

|                        |     #1: First attack, from the west entrance to the city
#1  -> |         O'Hare         |     #2: Second attack, from the south of the city
       |                        |     
       |                        |     Note: A few from the first attack actually fled south.
       |                        |
       |________________________|
                     ^
                     |

========
                  tracking       
                  ========
                     |
                     V

south, then bent to east

[lair] 

Lair
After leaving O'Hare, you travelled south. Eventually you bent east. So, you're approaching from the west (heading east). The "*" is the lair, the "x" is the party and "G" is where Gwillt circled to, and is approaching from.

x            

G
Clear as mud?[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Got it. Just one more question, though... Which way do you have to be facing to enter the lair?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Which way do you have to be facing to enter the lair?
Since you came upon the lair entrance while traveling east, and it was on your left, you would enter it heading north.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

Well... Not necessarily. Could have come across the entrance from the side...

Gwillt circles east and then north to go past and around the entrance. Once he is behind the opening, he will move north for about 50' or so before quickly scanning the area for a back entrance.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Gwillt circles around the entrance to the lair on the far, east side. He cautiously treads for about fifty paces, carefully examining the surroundings, looking to potentially spot an extra entrance to the lair. None is found.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

Gwilt will then continue another 100 paces, just to see if he spots anything (including more tracks that might lead to a second entrance). If he finds nothing, he will turn west and circle back around to the main group.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

After another hundred paces or so, the ranger is resigned to the fact that no secondary entrance to the lair will be found. He continues his circle in a westward direction and rejoins the rest of the party.

---

Moving back to the main thread: 15. Hunting the Troglodytes
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Adventures in Foxmoor”