Oriol > Shroomtown Blues

hedgeknight
hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Oriol > Shroomtown Blues

#21 Post by hedgeknight »

Yes, House Bormul is in the Upper City neighborhood of Manorborn...and where you're currently standing means you're very close to being directly under it ;)

Looking at the boot on the grate above you, it's easy to tell (at least for you) and smell the river mud on its tread. If you twist your head just right, you can see past the ragged pants covering the boot, all the way up to the clenched fist around a club that has several marks on it...likely made when striking bone or teeth. The man above you is a killer. And yet...

I ain't coming up here again, you make sure she stays safe where she belongs.
Odd that he should say that. Not much anger there...but then...

An' you best not ask for mercy if we cross paths in the Outers...

Yes, this person...his heart is foul like his tongue.

More conversation above with a guard maybe. Then the little girl's voice, but from farther away.
"Come on, Yarl! Come on, Oak!"

Yarl. Oak. House Bormul. Tull. Bryce.
Names without faces...what will happen to -

His thoughts are interrupted by a noise again, somewhere down the tunnel, somewhere in the direction of House Bormul.
Winter is coming...

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Enoch »

Oriol stares up out of the grate, his head cocked curiously. Strange place for a man with river mud to be. Have they kidnapped someone?

His head snaps around at the sound echoing down the tunnel.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by hedgeknight »

When Oriol's head snaps around at the sound in the distant tunnel, his eyes spy another side tunnel leading off to the right. He sees the light from another overhead grate and hears the voices in that direction. Curious, and wanting to get away from whatever is making the noise near House Bormul, he heads down the side tunnel, which seems to be running parallel to the wall separating the Upper and Lower city neighborhoods. As he approaches the grate, he hears voices. He notes the different boots standing on the grate above. Clean, black leather, shiny buckles; likely guards of the Watch who are paid to patrol the Upper City neighborhoods and protect the patriars.

"Another three killings in Shantytown last eve, not that I'm crying about it."
"The more of the scum who die off, the better for the Gate, if you ask me." Laughs another man.
"Aye that. Maybe once the murderer is done with Shantytown, he can migrate to the other side of Dusthawk Hill; clean out the riff raff over there."
"I will give them credit for bravery," says someone with an inflection of superiority in their voice. "My source tells me a few commoners banded together by setting up an ambush. My source claims a heavy fog billowed around the commoners as they waited to catch the killer. When the fog cleared, there was nothing left except the decapitated bodies of the commoners. My source says multiple people spoke of a cloaked pale figure fleeing the scene toward the Upper City."

The words hang in the air for a minute.
"Bah! I don't believe it." This from the first guard who spoke.
"Yeah me either. I think it's all a ruse by the local gangs or cultists to scare commoners. The latest news for folk to gossip about in their cups."

This draws some laughs and the guards move away. While Oriol ponders this, he hears the child's voice say, "Can we go home?"

OOC: Okay man, no more "railroading" from me. Just wanted to play this out a bit, give you some more hints about some possibilities to explore. I apologize for leading Oriol around by the snout ;)
Winter is coming...

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by Enoch »

Still trying to get a clear picture of what's happening, so it doesn't feel like railroading right now! I know there are a lot of weird happenings in/around the sewers, but most of them are bigger than me (taking on that demon-thing or the shambling mounds would have been the end of Oriol!), and I haven't read all of the other threads, so I'm not sure what's happening in the manor- was someone kidnapped? In any case it seems like a bad idea to just pop out of the sewer into someone's palatial estate because I heard an argument.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by hedgeknight »

Enoch wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 pm Still trying to get a clear picture of what's happening, so it doesn't feel like railroading right now! I know there are a lot of weird happenings in/around the sewers, but most of them are bigger than me (taking on that demon-thing or the shambling mounds would have been the end of Oriol!), and I haven't read all of the other threads, so I'm not sure what's happening in the manor- was someone kidnapped? In any case it seems like a bad idea to just pop out of the sewer into someone's palatial estate because I heard an argument.
Hey Enoch > I appreciate you not reading all of the threads; sometimes it's difficult to separate what your character actually knows from what you as a player knows. But...you should read the Yarl in Charge thread as I am pulling directly from it for yours.
Right now, you are under a street grate in the Manorborn neighborhood; as to what is happening, you should be able to somewhat piece that together. I need your actions > are you going to try and keep up with the "river rats" (from what you've heard so far, it sounds like they are heading back to the Lower City, possibly to the Smilin' Boar...a place you are very familiar with, from your opening post), or are you going to try and report back to your superior(s)? Talk to me.
Winter is coming...

Return to “Adventures in Baldur's Gate (5e)”