A few passengers (Hagan)

BackworldTraveller
BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

A few passengers (Hagan)

#1 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Waking up is hard, but Nyla is obviously pleased with Hagan as the morning smells of Breakfast.

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

Re: A few passengers (Hagan)

#2 Post by AndyS_66 »

Breakfast is good. Coffee would be better. Hagan will take a moment to plan his day in his mind then go an join Nyla in the kitchen.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Just a reminder that the Children are home (Well Corbus) she says as she fends you off. He got in 30 mins ago.

You need to get to the ship today...and make sure you have a bigger supply of emergency rations for the Vargr. Dzae mentioned to Sambuli last night that the variety was getting a bit boring on the last run.

And talking of Sambuli, she's rushed off this morning all full of the joys of prospective employment. Your doing?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#4 Post by AndyS_66 »

If it works out for Sambuli then, yes, it’s my doing. If not, it’s Emmylou’s fault.

Hagan will proceed to fill Nyla in on the job offer. As long as it doesn’t interfere with her studies, he thinks it’s a good thing. He does express surprise that Nyla wasn’t aware of the offer. Normally he’s the one that’s last to know what’s going on.

Once breakfast is finished, Hagan will contact Fluffy and Dzae ask them to meet him at the ship.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The ship is looking less like a small bomb had been let off inside it.

Dzae and Fluffy are already there, and apparently Karin is in the engine room arguing with a yard worker about the right way to install some electrical piece (with all the certainty of youth) and Gil is in one of the staterooms with a waitress from the bar. :o

(Dzae doesn't seem too impressed with Gil's choice of partner for some reason; Fluffy just thinks it's like not putting bleach in your coffee - A species thing.)

Tantars is, apparently, in town talking to some of his ex-colleagues as a favour to John's crew. No one has seen Emmylou yet.

Oh yes - Otto is still insensible in his room - and someone has drawn a caricature on his bare buttocks. How does Dzae know...?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#6 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will order Dzae and Fluffy to clean the caricature off of Otto’s door. As the ship could be inspected by the local government at any moment he doesn’t want to get any bad marks. He will then head down to the engine room to see what the problem is. With Otto currently out of the picture, he may as well be the sensible adult.

Does Hagan have an agreement with Mr Tefelogo, or the navy, for intelligence checks on people who visit the Dog-Tag. It seems like a sensible precaution given the recent terrorism. If so, he will ask them to look into Gil’s “date”. He won’t ban the crew from inviting people back, but he wants to know who has been on his ship.

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by AndyS_66 »

Once he realises exactly where the caricature is, he decides that it’s Otto’s problem and let’s the girls off. Instead he tasks them with beginning the work of planning emergency ration purchases as he had planned. With a mixed crew of human and Vargr he wants to ensure that there’s plenty of selection for everyone. With Fluffy in on the planning she can ensure that her needs are met too.

I must read the posts more carefully in future. :D

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by BackworldTraveller »

The girls retire with the appropriate distain for Otto's predicament.

The whole ship is progressing well. The work is going to be ready with a day of lee-way to spare - maybe two.

Casting about for something to do, Hagan lights on the one means of getting money on the trip to Fel...Passengers.

And passengers means advertising or talking to brokers. Advertising means making the advert, posting it and waiting for someone to answer; brokers means...well brokers. Take your pick

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#9 Post by AndyS_66 »

With the idea of passengers on his mind, Hagan will give Sunray a call. If anyone has any contacts that know where people who want transport to Fel would be, it would be him. Additionally, Mr Tefelogelo may wish to place an operative or two onto Fel and what better way than to appear to be refugees from Gabrael? Paying refugees, obviously, their cover had to stand; he would try to suggest this at the first opportunity. Assuming that there was one.

Once he had left Sunray his message, he sent another to the journalist Iilii Gurga. No sense in not advertising.

He will also ask Dzae to meet up him when she has a moment. As the two “Brokers” on the ship they would be sure come up with some ideas on finding passengers.

Hagan will also discuss the idea of hiring a Secretarial Assistant (Merchant Prince page 30) who would remain on Gabrael to field enquires, maintain the ship’s “website” and possibly book future voyages, with both Dzae and Nyla.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Sunray comes back almost immediately and recommends Ade Ogunjiba as someone who would know.

Emmylou says that Asoegae would know a good candidate - but He'll want a finders fee.

Iilii Gurga is delighted to hear from you and will be happy to come round and talk with you about your forthcoming trip to Fel. Given the secrecy that has been surrounding the flights of ships from Gabriel, an open interview is more than welcome.

Dzae will also be delighted to help. Lets see how successful your plan is...Broker roll please - and are you integrating Iilii's report and taking your time or going for quick and dirty? (Normal time is 1d6 days)

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#11 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan’s Broker check: [2d6+2]=6+2=8 (+1 for INT and +1 for Broker skill)

Does Dzae’s assistance provide a +1 or a boon dice?

Days taken: [1d6]=6

I’ll have to look into saving the common rolls at some point but at least I remembered how to create rolls, after one failure, and post the results. :D

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by BackworldTraveller »

With the collapsed infrastructure, the starport brokerage system seems to have mostly gone. Augurgh Theg has an office that consists of an agent that works one day a week most weeks and a bit more when ships come in. The Subsidised ships to Corfinium use the same guy Meku Akikukhar. He also runs a bar.

Beyond this lead, Iilii Gurga is arriving. You can always advertise!

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by AndyS_66 »

Advertising is one of the tasks that Hagan has in mind for the assistant that he plans to hire (see below). In the meantime he will ask Fluffy to prepare some bleach-free refreshments and snacks for Iilii. Whilst a lot of the ship’s duties are somewhat covert, it is still one of the few privately owned vessels operating from Gabrael and, in Hagan’s mind, not seeking publicity would be suspicious.

He will contact Meku Akikukhar and Ade Ogunjiba to find out if they has any interest for low berth passage to Fel. If possible he will look into hiring Meku as the previously mentioned assistant if the price is right; he obviously has the time, contacts and experience whereas Ade appears to have her hands full.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Contacting Meku Akikukhar gets the guy at his Bar. He's happy to talk to you in person to discuss business. Later today? If so, before 6 - as he has to be working in the kitchens after that - One of his sous-chefs has a broken arm and he's filling in! Such is the life of a bar owner.

Ade is hard to contact, but eventually suggests Firdh Koll, a Vargr in Dentown. She used to be a really good agent, but when the shipping market collapsed decided to go and raise a Litter of pups rather than fight for a vanishing market.

Iilii's arrival is surprisingly prompt. The list of questions quite nasty
  • As the first independent ship to be commissioned here since the abandonment, how are you finding the new climate?
  • I'd heard rumours that the fighting over at Kaesgus was caused by the uninformed actions of the Regency's vessel - would you care to comment?
  • The recent scare stories of Virus at Tersta seem to originate from your latest jaunt in that direction. Are you saying the the Virus and Federate are now directly at war?
  • We've heard that you have rescued several people from the clutches of the Invader. You have even adopted one. Will this altruism continue?
  • And now you are heading back to the black. Where are you going, when and with what aim?
  • What is your opinion of this new "Brotherhood" of captains? Is it a threat to the independence of Gabrael?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan will make a mental note to take Fluffy to the meeting with Meku as she might find seeing a working bar/restaurant interesting. He can a business opportunity in letting the alien “hire out” as a chef if she feels so inclined. She certainly has the skills and it couldn’t hurt to present the opportunity.

Firdh Koll sounds better as the potential assistant, if she has the time now with her pups. Hagan will drop her a message to ask if she is willing to meet and discuss the part time opportunity.

Prior to sitting down for the interview, Hagan will show Iilii how work to the ship is progressing and stress how good the crew are performing.

With response to her questions.

As the first independent ship to be commissioned here since the abandonment, how are you finding the new climate?

Hagan: I won’t lie to you, things have been challenging but the Dog-Tag has embraced to opportunities that the temporary withdrawal of the Regency has afforded us. As everyone gets more used to the new way of operating we still feeling our way about but it’s certainly been an adventure.

I'd heard rumours that the fighting over at Kaesgus was caused by the uninformed actions of the Regency's vessel - would you care to comment?

Hagan: No, not at this time as I cannot ascertain the full story. I know enough to say that in situations as fluid as the fighting around Kaesgus was not everyone was privy to all of the facts at the same time. All that I can say is that the Dog-Tag acquitted herself admirably and I could not be prouder of her or my crew.

The recent scare stories of Virus at Tersta seem to originate from your latest jaunt in that direction. Are you saying the the Virus and Federate are now directly at war?

Hagan: I can’t speak for the Federate. For me to do so would be speculation, and uniformed speculation at that.

We've heard that you have rescued several people from the clutches of the Invader. You have even adopted one. Will this altruism continue?

Hagan: I wouldn’t call common decency altruism, but I can assure you that we love having Sambuli as part of the family. If freeing people that have been kidnapped for slavery is considered altruism them yes, you can expect to see it again.

And now you are heading back to the black. Where are you going, when and with what aim?

Hagan: Given the current unrest and violence against the Captains, their ships and crews I think that it is best not to discuss upcoming voyages at present. I’m happy to fill you in when we return but at present I believe we need to be a little circumspect with our plans.

What is your opinion of this new "Brotherhood" of captains? Is it a threat to the independence of Gabrael?

Hagan: With the withdrawal of the Regency, there is a vacuum of power in the space lanes. He will air quote the word “vacuum”. Sorry, space joke. To me The Brotherhood of Captains is merely a group that is agreeing to co-operate and lend assistance to each other. As traders and business-persons they will obviously be looking to maximise their opportunities but surely this is a good thing for Gabrael. If it can keep it’s space-going trade functioning then the opportunities for Gabrael must increase and thereby strengthen our position.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Iilii: You are being very tactful. How am I supposed to write a gripping story from such diplomatic statements? I hear you fought off the Virus minions...Maybe that's a story?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#17 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan: Yes, we were able to survive an encounter with a Virus vessel. In all honesty it was a scary experience, but we learnt a lot from it and were able to pass that knowledge on to the local authorities here on Gabrael. I’m unsure of how interesting that the story would be though. We didn’t fight, we turned tail and fled. I’m not sure that you can make a good story out of that. As I said, we learnt a lot and it was a very useful experience that will hopefully stand us in good stead going forward but not something worthy of publication.

BackworldTraveller
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by BackworldTraveller »

Iilii: "Fled" is such a loaded word: After a successful reconnaissance you retired in the face of an overwhelming force, heroically surviving to bring the vital news to the authorities here. We can hope the editor won't just cut the whole passage and replace it with "Fled". After all, you are the only person to bring any first-hand data back.

So what is the UFA up to. We've seen notices that they have shut the smuggling routes. How will you deal with that on your next trip?

AndyS_66
Scout
Scout

#19 Post by AndyS_66 »

Hagan: In my honest opinion the UFA is still trying to come to terms with the things that are happening. Whilst the Dog-Tag would neither “smuggle” or consort with corsairs, we are aware of who or what the true threat is out there. My crew and I will continue to do what we can to ensure that Gabrael’s position is strengthened in the face of this uncertain future. We may only be a small ship, but we hope to have a big impact. Preferably not on the side of an asteroid. Hagan will laugh at his not-so-funny joke.

But you are right. We don’t go picking fights and we have to keep the bigger picture in mind. We have families and a whole planet relying on us, so we’ll “flee” if that’s what it takes. I’ve been in enough scrapes to what battles need fighting and when get the hell out of Dodge. Thanks to our experience at Tersta we, as in all of Gabrael, are forewarned and forearmed for the future.

Return to “Between The Cracks (Mongoose Traveller)”