BS

Monsieur Rose
Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: BS

#121 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sounds good. 2E it is. I'm working on the setup today, and we'll probably start this weekend or Monday. It's Thanksgiving week here in the states, so things may be slow.

If anyone doesn't have the rules for characters, purpleworm.org has you covered. (I think the admins have established that that site is fair game.)

Again, keep the same characters but feel free to change classes. Any and all kits are open for use. Minor tweaking of stats to qualify for a class is okay. If anyone is interested in the gladiator class from Dark Sun, I can help with the conversion.

We're running 2E rules for unarmed combat this round.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by dmw71 »

Just checking on the status of this game.

Should this one remain active?
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Give me a day or two to determine this. Thanks.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Zhym »

FWIW, I’m still up for another round if you have time to run it.

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok. I'm moving forward with this.

I propose a slight variation on the next round. A series of one-on-one matches, tournament style. Boxing/wrestling/dirty tricks allowed.

I will run each of you in concurrent matches, moving on if you emerge victoriously.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Rex »

Sounds fun.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Zhym »

I'm slightly confused about the rules—do we roll a d20 attack roll, then use that roll to determine both whether the attack hits and what type of attack it is (on the table), or is it one d20 to hit and another d20 for effect? The reason I ask is that it doesn't look like higher numbers are necessarily better on the table (and why include an effect for 1?). Or does the table replace normal to-hit rolls?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Fair question.

As written the d20 attack roll is resolved normally. If the attack is successful, that same die roll is then referenced on the table to determine the effect.
I agree that the table looks rather random, and as I mentioned earlier, having results for less than 1 is a niche situation. There actually is an exception to the "rolling a 1" rule. "Punching and wrestling attacks can succeed on attack rolls of 1 or less (exceptions to the general rule)."

In this game, I proposed a change. We are going to assume all attacks hit and then are just referenced on the table. This should help remove actions where the fight is a stalemate. A bonus to hit would allow the user to slide up or down the chart as desired.

That help?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Zhym »

FYI, I'm going to be heading out to a cabin in the middle of nowhere for the weekend starting tomorrow (extra social distancing!), so my posting may be even slower than usual—or, y'know, nonexistent—until Sunday. I'd say you should feel free to NPC Lug until then, but since Lug is just about the only action left, I suspect you might prefer waiting over wrapping up the combat entirely as NPC action. ;)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Thanks for the heads up. Lug did post an action so I may continue the fight. I won't NPC him after that. :D

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Monsieur Rose »

I'm going to mothball this game.

Thank you to everyone who played and indulged in my experiment. I enjoyed the characters and how you all brought them to life given the restraints placed upon you.

I'll see you elsewhere on the board. :D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Zhym »

Thanks for running it! It was fun (and it gave me a chance to bring Lug to life again for a while).

It is a little too bad we didn't make the jump to 5, though—I'm really curious how the brawling mechanics would have been different (I'd have been okay skipping 3.x and 4, personally).

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Rex »

Agreed, thanks!

Return to “The Octagon (D&D)”