1. Interviews (Action)

tibbius
shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 1. Interviews (Action)

#201 Post by shaidar »

Conner

After a double all-nighter Conner was happy that the McConnell case was over. He'd celebrate at the weekend, now he just needed some sleep...

...Conner finds himself standing on stage with his fellow band mates from Vorpal Hunger. Behind the curtains he can hear the roar of the crowd and see the spotlights spinning into position ready for the start. He checks his earpiece and the tuning off his guitar and nods his readiness to the rest of the band. The curtains open and they start the gig with one of their most popular songs Obsidian Heart. As he strums out the opening cords he realises he (and only he of the band) is totally naked. He shrugs and continues, loosing himself in the music. As the song ends and the final cords echo into the auditorium he realises the room is absolutely silent. Looking out into what should be a room full of fans he realises that the stage is in fact one giant witness box and he and his bandmates are in courtroom being glared at by the judge and jury...

too wierd?
Last edited by shaidar on Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#202 Post by tibbius »

excellent
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by tibbius »

Wells guides Lucas into an interview room and gestures for him to sit down. Barely as soon as he does, she drops into the chair opposite him and pulls out her phone, fiddles with it, sets it on the table.

"Agent Wells, ATF, informal debrief of Agent Blake, FBI," she says. "Undercover investigation of alleged gun trafficking in New Haven, evening of October 20. Agent Blake entered suspect premises with two civilians. One of the civilians disappeared. One of the civilians got shot and is dead. Agent Blake, please identify the civilians and give me a timeline from when and where you met up with the civilians."

Conner, in his dream, squints at the defense table. The guy standing up over there looks familiar. Like one of Thomas' teachers? Yes. The chemistry guy who kept complaining about kid brother's attitude. The chemistry guy points directly at Conner, and says:

shaidar, you get two sentences to convey some kind of message from Edward to Conner.
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by shaidar »

Edward stares at Conner

"Donte didn't want to shoot me, the Horned Man made him do it. Find FBI Agent Lucas Blake and help him stop Cernunnos, tell him mine was a deep fried chicken burger"

pushing it a bit with two sentence :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Marullus »

tibbius wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:07 pm Wells guides Lucas into an interview room and gestures for him to sit down. Barely as soon as he does, she drops into the chair opposite him and pulls out her phone, fiddles with it, sets it on the table.

"Agent Wells, ATF, informal debrief of Agent Blake, FBI," she says. "Undercover investigation of alleged gun trafficking in New Haven, evening of October 20. Agent Blake entered suspect premises with two civilians. One of the civilians disappeared. One of the civilians got shot and is dead. Agent Blake, please identify the civilians and give me a timeline from when and where you met up with the civilians."
Seriously though... where is the gun??

"Dead?" Lucas repeats, his heart dropping into his gut. Grief, anger, regret: all wash over him in rapid succession. "Damn it." He clears his throat and compose himself. Taking a deep breath he begins. "Alright. From where we met up? Well, a little before.
After we ascerntained the that Donte [lastname] was using the phone, Edward Compton, his High School Teacher entered into arrangement as a confidential informant to aid the investigation without the minor being involved. On this occasion, Edward arranged for Donte to make the introduction of both himself and the undercover identity, thus creating a direct access and allowing Donte to be excluded from the future investigation. Donte confirmed the identity of the suspect warehouse and showed the proper door for access."

"Once inside, we had visual confirmation of the metalworking operations, including [quantity] of workers." He slides his phone across the table. "We have photographic evidence here. It became quickly apparent that the man we were supposed to meet was not present.
Donte requested we pledge an oath, presumably with the man listening nearby. Then Donte pulled out the concealed firearm and stated they 'were making him do it.' It was clear to me the youth was under duress from threats made previously, and this was a setup. I stepped to disarm him and take the gun. I do not believe he intended to fire, but had an accidental discharge. The discharge wounded Edward Compton."

"Even though it was asserted the man we were to meet was within earshot, no one came forth or interceded. Since the location was not secure, I moved Mr. Compton out to meet EMS after I called 911. Consistent with the authorized cover, I sent Donte home so uniformed officers could contact him later. I brought the firearm - if provided from the facility as presumed, it requires ATF analysis and could substantiate the factory." He pauses, guaging Wells, and glancing at the one-way glass. He asks for her pad and paper, writing down the following.

Code: Select all

The officers on scene, Clemens and Fitzgerald, arrived without apparent awareness of dispatch, indicating they may be connected to the facility.  
They fired on me immediately while carrying a wounded man, in violation of protocol.  
[[i]if true[/i]]  They also willfully discarded evidence in the form of the handgun, even when I prompted them to not forget it.

Subjects for RICO.
He rotates the pad around to his partner, then continues. "When I approached the road carrying Mr. Compton, I shouted for help and telegraphed being disarmed, tossing the gun to the ground. Both officers opened fire on me and the carried Mr. Compton, but thanks to their poor aim, I only have this graze on my shoulder and Mr. Compton did not sustain further injuries. I submitted immediately to arrest but they nonetheless ignored Mr. Compton and let his condition worsen until paramedics arrived. If Mr. Compton died, their negligence was a clear factor."

"Did anyone cordon or access the facility? With that many workers running that many machines..."
Last edited by Marullus on Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#206 Post by tibbius »

Agent Wells switches off her phone and sighs. "Well, your cover is gone. I really should have bailed you out and interviewed you later, but this shit has hit the fan high up because of the civilian death, and there was a lot of pressure to find out right away what happened. Come on, let's get out of here." She stands, grabbing the pad and pen, and nods you to precede her from the room.

cut scene to wherever you think makes sense next
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#207 Post by tibbius »

"Yeah," Agent Wells adds as you walk out the front of the precinct to her government car, "I'll give you a ride home. Your supervisor should be waiting there to collect your gun and badge. You know that's protocol for an officer-involved shooting. Let's both look into the evidence issue. You can do that with a desk and a phone. I don't remember you briefing me on the adult civilian ride-along; did you clear that with your chain?"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Marullus »

He nods solemnly and follows her out. "Don't leave without getting that gun from evidence," he whispers to her, then waits outside.

What's going on with the gun?

He and Wells head back to the FBI office, where the real debrief then takes place. The Special Agent in Charge is personally thorough in his full review of the case.
Law [1d8]=1 Damn.
Lucas's results for his "first big case" are not auspicious. A case involving a minor, a dead civilian, and a blown undercover operation, even if meticulously papered, is too much in combination. Lucas weathers the storm. (Prefer that off-camera)

He tries his best to salvage what he can of the case. He goes over his photos from his phone, any evidence from the gun, and anything garnered in after-action at the facility, hoping there's enough to salvage and merit further action and prosecution. He gets the information from Wells on what happened from her end, and otherwise at the facility. He requests the full run-down on Compton's demise. He finds out his next of kin, and what amount of settlement the Bureau will offer along with the non-disclosure agreement for his relatives. He ensures that Sgt. Fitzgerald is listed as a suspect and that both officers are flagged for the investigation.

If you can summarize the new status?

After the mess, he needs a drink. He offers to meet up with Wells off-duty on the patio at Gryphon's Pub.
It's a hole-in-the-wall frequented by grad students rather than undergrads, so not as stupid. Some local band, Vorpal Hunger is playing tonight... having some periods of time too loud for more conversation is about where he's at after the day he had.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Marullus »

tibbius wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:36 pm "I don't remember you briefing me on the adult civilian ride-along; did you clear that with your chain?"
Yes, that was explicit in the deal with Compton (part of justifying a situation where both PCs were involved). He was on the books as a paid confidential informant. That'll make the FBI follow protocols regarding him. It wouldn't be automatic to lose his badge and gun for being shot at and where he didn't discharge a weapon, but with a roll of a 1, totally your discretion if he's suspended or outright fired. :)

Firing him certainly makes it easier to continue the story. That, or staying on the case. If he is suspended or taken off the case, he can't continuein the story.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by tibbius »

Marullus wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:51 pm
tibbius wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:36 pm "I don't remember you briefing me on the adult civilian ride-along; did you clear that with your chain?"
Yes, that was explicit in the deal with Compton (part of justifying a situation where both PCs were involved). He was on the books as a paid confidential informant. That'll make the FBI follow protocols regarding him. It wouldn't be automatic to lose his badge and gun for being shot at and where he didn't discharge a weapon, but with a roll of a 1, totally your discretion if he's suspended or outright fired. :)

Firing him certainly makes it easier to continue the story. That, or staying on the case. If he is suspended or taken off the case, he can't continuein the story.
There's a little self-service in the "I don't remember," regardless what the facts might be. Some reflexive cyoa in a political situation.

I'll continue in 2. Smears on the Turbine.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Return to “New Haven? (Fair Ones)”