Off Duty #3 (OOC)

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Off Duty #3 (OOC)

#441 Post by Rex »

I always found the same thing funny. We get a foot of snow here and they don't close the plant, they get 2" at the plant in West Virginia and they are shutdown for multiple days. I just saw they upped our storm total to 8-12", looks like a 10pm tonight to 10am Tuesday it will be 1-2" of snow per hour. Going to be fun when I get out tonight at midnight and no one has plowed anything to save money.
Attachments
Weather.PNG
Weather.PNG (44.14 KiB) Viewed 835 times

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#442 Post by GreyWolfVT »

:shock: Great even more snow. Yeah that is the other thing to save money now we don't plow and just expect everyone has AWD or 4WD and can just make it in a foot of unplowed road because work doesn't give snow days... well I guess pretty soon we will be like the Canadian show Ice Road Truckers.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#443 Post by Rex »

True. Most of my employees don't have AWD/4WD, but they are younger and just starting out. I always found good winter tires is more important, of course my 4WD combined with good winter tires works even better.

GreyWolfVT

#444 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Yeah but Rex do you know how many other states have no idea what winter tires are? Lol I have had that dead eye stare at me like I'm mental look when I said "Winter Tires" to some folks from southern states or even mid-west states. Guess that is again a Northern state thing. My gripe about assuming we all have 4WD or AWD is the fact that I never have had those. The road crews need to be plowing and treating the roads when there is a storm it's one thing to save money but to allow those of us still stuck working in bad weather, to go our risking a lot on roads not tended to is crazy.
Last edited by GreyWolfVT on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Bluehorse »

I was looking back and this is a 20 year snow for our area. The last time it snowed like this was back in 2001 right after I had graduated high school, and the time before that was in 1982 the night my mom and dad brought my home from the hospital. Kinda neat how symmetrical that is.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#446 Post by Rex »

Agreed, Ed.

Brett, the weather is very cyclical for sure. Cycles within cycles really. The past few summers have been fairly warm and dry here, more than the average, but when you look at the records that go back to the late 1700's early 1800's for here its the third time we have had a run like this. The last was the dust bowl in the 1930's, in fact we still haven't broken those records for high temps or lack of precipitation. There is a trend lately of just using the past 30, 40 or 50 years when talking about temps. Sounds like a neat idea, except many weather patterns are much larger in amplitude. As a scientist it annoys me when they do this.

GreyWolfVT

#447 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Rex don't forget the great flood and then 100 years later we get another "great flood" which for Vermont is very uncommon. But agreed, weather is cynical. The cycles are interesting to say the least.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by Bluehorse »

We had our "great flood" 2 years ago. Never had one so bad in 100 years of record keeping. I am been playing with ideas of what to do with that once we hit that point in time in game.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#449 Post by Rex »

Or the ice storm, don't forget that one. For those who didn't live through it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1 ... _ice_storm

GreyWolfVT

#450 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I was in HS when that one happened. Well not sure about you Rex but not the amounts of snow predicted my way but the amount I did get is heavy as heck like shoveling wet sand.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#451 Post by Taaz »

Not to mention the other things I always pointing out to most people is after 20 miles north of the Ohio the ice sheets all stopped, so the glaciers that made the Midwest and stuff nice and flat and all never happened down here. You ever seen a West Virginia hollar? The only place in the world to hike a Möbius trail, uphill in every direction.

And not just not prepared, there are a couple of "bridges" where I live that are literally concrete slabs flopped in a creek, our road infrastructure is hot garbage included the 3 half drunk good ol boys with some salt an a plow.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#452 Post by Taaz »

Bluehorse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:17 pm We had our "great flood" 2 years ago. Never had one so bad in 100 years of record keeping. I am been playing with ideas of what to do with that once we hit that point in time in game.
OOOOHHhhhh a riparian haunting, II suggest ghostly steamboats!

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by Bluehorse »

Taaz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Bluehorse wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:17 pm We had our "great flood" 2 years ago. Never had one so bad in 100 years of record keeping. I am been playing with ideas of what to do with that once we hit that point in time in game.
OOOOHHhhhh a riparian haunting, II suggest ghostly steamboats!
You.... may or may not have read my mind. :)

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#455 Post by Urson »

No problem here. I've just gotten a new girlfriend, so I'm trying to find a new balance between games and Real Life.
FA FO

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by Bluehorse »

Hey! Good to hear!

As a side note: Jason and Joker... y'all need to work out who has the goggles and who does not. I had already gone the route of letting Joker have them back so I am left wondering how to juggle this.

Taaz
Ranger
Ranger

#457 Post by Taaz »

Oh sure, He just wanted them when inspecting the book, I can toss a line in there about handing them back to him, I just hadnt seen a response from that yet, but I know how time goes.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Rex »

No problem, no rush, post when you can.

Return to “OOC Archive”