Re: OOC: Camp Troll

#21 Post by Valdus »

All in the family! :mrgreen:

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#22 Post by Valdus »

Hey its hurricane season and we got two storms coming here to my humble Lousiana coast (humble my ass). It is now a time of collecting all your backyard crap, closing the shutters and going into cozy pajama mode. Flick on the Netflix (while it lasts) cook something big from the freezer (while it lasts) and drink up a damn storm to the storm.

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#23 Post by tibbius »

Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by tibbius »

I would vote for Ulrich gets almost all the AP. He's solely responsible for getting rid of the sand golems!
Neil Gaiman: "I started imagining a world in which we replaced the phrase 'politically correct' wherever we could with 'treating other people with respect', and it made me smile."..."I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Leitz »

I'm okay with it. Kinda blah, actually.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Starbeard »

How about a compromise: Ulrich takes 2 shares, Flambo takes half, everyone else takes 1.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by NJWilliam »

No matter to me (Ulrich), I’m sure we’re going to have other encounters where a different character had the most success with their efforts.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Leitz »

I think giving the key actor the most XP is good.

I just find the character generation system to be pretty odd. Multiplying a key combat stat by 1.5? Sort of eliminates the usefulness of humans as characters.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#29 Post by Valdus »

Yeah I pretty much give away xp like the King of Carnival- just throwing it from the float as I wave.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Starbeard »

Leitz wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:29 pm I think giving the key actor the most XP is good.

I just find the character generation system to be pretty odd. Multiplying a key combat stat by 1.5? Sort of eliminates the usefulness of humans as characters.
The character system definitely has an issue where, because of the way combat and saving throws work, it favors non-humans to the point where the humans almost don't matter in straight up "which side rolls higher" fights. It's possible to have a human who can swing with the best if you roll triples and end up with very high Dexterity or Strength, but the dwarf will always get a significantly better deal because his multipliers pretty much always give him high strength (or even super-high strength, if you roll triples). If you don't want humans to be completely overshadowed, you either have to help them out with some sweet gear, or put limits on how many non-human PCs there can be, or lean your humans toward thieving and magic and leave the fighting to the other races. Otherwise, you have to take it in stride that humans really are less powerful than the other races, and develop the game's setting around that idea.

That's actually the vibe that I get from Trollworld, that humans are the unwashed masses and the other races are the movers and shakers. To me, it feels like the idea of the T&T setting takes two stances: first, they're taking the D&D Stone Soup trope to its logical conclusion, which is that in a world where all other races are not only superior to humans, but also just as common and just as accepted throughout society, then humans really would stay at the bottom of the heap; and second, they're saying, "Look, you're playing in a fantastical setting where you can be whatever you want! Why would you want to be just a human, when you already are one every day and it's boring?"

I'm still unsure about it. On the one hand I like the vibe, and the shamelessly gamey aspects of the system really attract me, but on the other hand I have a hard time seeing how mechanically the game as a whole can work… well, at all (and I say that as someone who loves to run T&T whenever someone will let me).

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#31 Post by Valdus »

Beginning of school under this Crown affair has made things far more chaotic. That and an underground pipe problem has thrown everything for a loop. I plan to post but life is on my tail!

But one thing I like about the games here on Unseen Servant is that they are not rushed at all. So this trollish thing lasts a little longer than expected, I trust that is not a problem?

tibbius
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by tibbius »

Please don't feel rushed. I've just had some experiences where games petered out after the first couple dozen posts ... it's always nice to have an idea when the next post should be expected.
Fail States RPG
Mythistorical Bundle
माया | Gratitude

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#33 Post by Valdus »

Wizardawn is down, Wizardawn is GONE? I was about to open the door on a dungeon for you all but I noticed that Wizardawn is dead. Ye gods, first time DMing TnT AND I have to do it pretty much the old fashioned way. This may take me a bit if yall don't mind. I know that pbp is all about momentum (well, tabletop too no?) so I am going to try to get on it. But as a full time tired daddy it may take just a bit.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Leitz »

Looks like the site moved, the URL still works.

Of course, I never quit doing dungeons the old-fashioned way. :)

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#35 Post by Valdus »

I am a full time daddy, trying to lose this damn dad bod (my goal is to do one unassisted perfect pull-up). I am no longer that crazy nerdy teenager that spent his entire algebra class, sitting in the back designing dungeons (no doubt, after I finished the problems assigned in half the time it took everyone else, Then why the hell did I have to take remedial math to go to college, I will never know).

So I got to do it the new fashioned way, my sorries and apologies. I plan on downloading the private use wizardawn, but My computer is a giant paper weight right now. It is being refitted to once again be the monster gaming computer it was about seven years ago (alas before my son was born). The thing was built from scratch by one of my former-students at cost. So I worry about the eventual total.

But these games will come back, be assured.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Leitz »

Do you want to move the game to the "Archived" section? The forum Mods can move it back whenever you want. You could do some more recruiting, then too, if you like.

Valdus
Tracker
Tracker

#37 Post by Valdus »

I believe that is a good idea.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Starbeard »

Understandable. I'm a full time toddler dad, part-time lecturer, so we're on the same page.

By the way, I believe Wizardawn is still technically available, you just have to download the package and run it locally on your computer—though it seems hit or miss on whether people are having trouble setting that up. The issue was that the site had older security features, which could potentially expose the host site to attacks; instead of going through the huge effort of updating everything, it was decided to turn it into an offline package for download.

Return to “Tales of the Troll Company (Tunnels & Trolls, 5th)”