Character Building Discussions

Radrabbit
jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Character Building Discussions

#41 Post by jemmus »

Sorry, where do we find the character sheets? It seems everyone who posted is using the same template.
PCs

Dust to Dust (Stars Without Number) - Circuit Counsel Taavi Perttu
Big Shiny Island (AD&D 1E) - Theo, low charisma ranger
Samurai Adventures (Cold Iron) - Kiyoshi, ronin bushi
WW2 Supers d6 - Luther "Luke" Goodfox

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

If you mean on this site, follow these directions.
Marullus wrote:Sure thing and glad to help, Jemmus! :)

Click the big, golden die in the upper right corner, or this link here. That's the companion roller site for this forum (as Enoch explained). Do whatever it needs to make an account and/or login.

One in, click the Characters link
Then, click Create a new Character
It will ask you to provide a name (you can rename later if needed) and the Campaign ID which is where you type '840'. then click Aye.

You should now see your character on the list. To the right of your character name, click the golden 20-sided die (under Roll Stats). Follow the prompts, choosing to roll 4d6c1, and assign your attributes however you like, one per attribute.

Go make your character using 5e rules, ask if you need help. You can then click on the Scroll icon to open the character sheet and put your information in. It is designed for early D&D editions so needs to be finagled to fit 5e - feel free to use this as an example.

The advantage of the die roller attached to the forum is that it keeps everything together per-campaign and it creates an audit log of all rolls for each character, so there's never a question about that. :)
If you mean a fillable sheet for 5e (I use one just to keep me organized), try this:
https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/down ... llable.pdf

If you need help building it, this site has a good step by step process, but they make a lot of stuff require payment. Good to use for inspiration:
https://www.dndbeyond.com

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#43 Post by Enoch »

If you log in to UnseenServant.com (it uses a different authentication than the forums, so if you haven't logged into the dice roller before you'll have to set up an account), click on "Characters" and then "Create a New Character". You'll be asked to provide a name and a campaign ID (ours is 840).

At that point you'll be taken to a screen with all of your characters. There are two buttons next to your character that will be immediately important: Roll Stats and Character Sheet. Click on "Roll Stats" and leave it at "4d6c1". Organize them however you like. You'll be taken to a screen that will show you the results of the roll again (and helpfully, the PbP Forum code for the roll, which you'll use to post future dice rolls in the forum).

Click on "Characters" again and the "Character Sheet" button next to your character. You'll see that the stats are already filled in. We can provide further help if you need it!
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by Radrabbit »

How does this sound for the group set up?

Sade and Rodrigo did a run down south to pick up some "goods" that needed to avoid any border controls.
Together with the goods, they ended up with a renegade a Gnoll and Dragonborn, who paid handsomely to accompany them back to Free Illyria.
In Chelfort Lothien and Awwwrak are trying to find out more information about the Mistbane wood, as they have heard of some kind of evil magic. Lothien has intrigued 3of4 with his tales of nature and the natural order and the need to defend it.
Once in Chelfort, Sade, Rodrigo, Kura and Quelnaar are cooling their heels.
Tales of dark magic, monsters and ruins have peaked their interest.
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rex »

Works for me as well. If you want Sade could have known Awwwrak from before and that can help to tie the 2 groups together.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

Sounds great!

I am fine with Sade being an existing contract for Aawrak that he's waiting/looking for. It makes sense that the spy would have a connection. Do we know each other personally or did I get directed to you by your spy network?

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by ybn1197 »

I'm good with the backstory.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Enoch »

Works for me. Sade being the tie that kind of brings the group together makes sense, given that her background would have her traveling to disparate places, as would our bard/smuggler's!

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rex »

That works, I think Aawrak should be more of a personal contact. I envision her as someone who has wandered a lot in the past 20 years or so. I think she left her tribe very young.

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by jemmus »

Excellent!
(I should have my character sheet up later today or early tomorrow).
PCs

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Bluehorse »

Additionally: maybe Sade's Spy contact has worked with 3 of 4 at some point and knows what he is capable of, adding another loop in the story to connect them.

I also love the image of 3 of 4 being basically charmed by Lothien's stories. Maybe it sparks another "Fault" in his programming where he starts to get a hint of another emotion bubbling up.

It makes sense that he would come in contact with Chelfort Lothien and Awwwrak near the Mistwood, so we mostly just need to know the circumstances of that if any. Or are we just going to assume 3 of 4 heard Lorthien singing or telling a story and then started following him like a lost puppy asking about the stories?

I assume it is the same rumors of dark magic in the Mistwoods is what brings Chelfort, Sade, Rodrigo, Kura and Quelnaar into the fold? Or will it be more of an accidental alliance of circumstances that they find themselves working together?

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by Radrabbit »

Since everyone is in the same location and are asking similar questions, they are aware of each other.
Kura and Qelnaar are tolerated (barely) since they helped divert a Draconian raiding party away from the village.

*I'll be adding some personal backstories to each of you through the day*
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

jemmus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by jemmus »

(I wrote this wall of text when Lothien had only met Awwrak and 3 of 4 so far. "Well met new friends, Sade, Rodrigo, Kura, Quelnar!")

Lothien’s father was at the battle where 3of4 killed the king, serving as an ordinary knight cavalryman in the army of his liege lord (an Illyrian earl, who was in turn a vassal of the Duke of Illyria). That was 17 years ago, when Lothien was eight years old. After the death of the king, there was a period of relative disorder, and the nobles who had been in his service dispersed to their own lands. Lothien’s father returned to his muddy little estate Blackacre, which is in eastern Illyria, on the other side of the Dragoncrags.

Upon his return, young Lothien asked him, “Was it a glorious battle, Dad? Did we win?” His father answered, “No. It was just an idiot muck-up. The fool king got himself killed by his own magic metal man guard, and that was the end of it. The Duke is no fighter, he sent us all home and I don’t expect I’ll be soldiering again.” And that was all he ever said about it.

But Lothien’s dad was wrong. Seventeen years later, while Lothien was off learning druidcraft with his mother’s wood elf kin, the Mharoti invasion began. The earl’s rangers, knights, mages and men-at-arms fought a hard resistance, but there was no coordinated leadership from the Duke’s men. The earls and barons of eastern Illyria were soon overwhelmed, piecemeal, one-by-one. Lothien’s father, older brother, and sister were killed in battle, and Blackacre was overrun. It is now a kobold fortress, and its peasants work the field as slaves.

When word of the invasion reached the wood elf lands, Lothien hurried back and learned that his mother and other sister had probably survived, but had had to flee as refugees toward the west. With the help of suave and urbane intelligence-collector Rodrigo Lopez, shy woods boy Lothien found that they had made it to Chelfort. He now seeks to earn a livelihood to provide for them, and eventually get them his mother’s family in wood elf lands. For that, he needs some gold. Enough gold to provide for his mother and sister for the rest of their lives. He knows his kind elven family members would well care for them, but Dad would not approve of them being wholly depending and not having something of their own.

Lothien is full of guilt at having been away and surviving while his father and siblings were dying in battle. The best he can do to redeem himself is to try to help stop the Mharoti Empire from doing to western Illyria what it did to the east. To stop the overall spread of evil, for now perhaps the best course would be to investigate and thwart any evil magic in Mistwood.

In Chelfort, Lothien has made two strange fascinating new friends: aarokocra Awwwrak and warforged 3of4. He greatly admires Awwrak’s description of the mountain aarokocra’s way of life, and vaguely wishes that he were part bird himself. Specifically, part goshawk.

3of4 is a puzzle. He has no aura and no Life energy can be felt from him. Yet he is intelligent and has a personality, even a benign one. Lothien recalls his dad’s “magic metal man” story, and wonders 3of4 is somehow connected. But he is too reserved and polite to ask.
Last edited by jemmus on Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCs

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#55 Post by Enoch »

I'd like to swap Acrobatics for Survival from my Caravan Raider background. I'm not sure what a caravan raider in the desert needs acrobatics for, but tracking targets (and surviving in the desert between) seems appropriate.

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by Radrabbit »

Enoch wrote:I'd like to swap Acrobatics for Survival from my Caravan Raider background. I'm not sure what a caravan raider in the desert needs acrobatics for, but tracking targets (and surviving in the desert between) seems appropriate.
Fine by me
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

Rex wrote:That works, I think Aawrak should be more of a personal contact. I envision her as someone who has wandered a lot in the past 20 years or so. I think she left her tribe very young.
Perhaps the elf was caught in a storm crossing the Griffoncrags about a year ago, just before the War?Obviously non-threatening, he helped her find shelter and wait it out, then find her way to safety. Spending those few days together created a bond.

Am I expecting to find you again in Chetfort now? (I am fine with this being a planned meeting.)

Radrabbit
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#58 Post by Radrabbit »

I'm going to kick things off with a tavern scene later this evening, after my kids are in bed
I'm Rad and I'm a Rabbit

Radrabbit

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rex »

That looks good to me Marullus.

Return to “Time of the Dragon (5e)”