Character Creation

The_Wanderer
sirravd

Re: Character Creation

#61 Post by sirravd »

Do paladins and rangers get a to-hit bonus from high Strength?

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by The_Wanderer »

Let's see...by the book it doesn't look like it: "...only Fighters get the bonuses..." (p. 7)

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#63 Post by StevetheNPC »

Hello, all! I'm really looking forward to joining your adventures in the Broken Valley!

As this is my first game here on US, do I create a character in the dice roller before rolling my ability score rolls, with the associated campaign number? If I do, am I able to change the character name later? The name kind of depends on the race and class I choose, which will be determined by the ability scores.

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by The_Wanderer »

Every game is a little different on how they approach it. For this game, follow the character creation rules in addition to the rules in swords and wizardry complete. You can roll attributes in the US dice roller and adjust per the rules. Use the character sheet template in this thread instead of the Dice roller character sheet. I will owe you a magic item and character kit info if you want to go down that path.

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#65 Post by StevetheNPC »

Ah, finally got the dice roller to work for me! Apparently I did have to create a character with the campaign id# to get it to store my rolls? Anyway, here's my first cut at Aerik the Ranger:

Stats: STR:8, INT:14, WIS:13, DEX:8, CON:15, CHR:4
Hit Points: [3d8+3] = 9+3 = 12

Yikes! :shock: Not great stats for a Ranger, but it is S&W after all... I'd like to swap WIS and DEX, please.

As for a magical item, how about magical leather armor? Something "woodsy". :D

Questions about the encumbrance house rules: Do the two weapon slots count toward the total number of slots? Does a quiver hold 20 arrows? Would 20 additional arrows use one slot, and can they go in the backpack?

== Aerik Winterbrow ==
Male Human/Ranger/2
XP 4000/5000

== Attributes ==
STR 8
DEX 13
CON 15
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 4

== Background/Languages/Skills/Abilities ==

===Background===

Tall and slender, Aerik travels lightly with just the necessities in his pack. He has journeyed to the Broken Valley in order to catalog the unknown forces of chaos.

===Languages===

Common, (tbd), (tbd), (tbd) and (tbd)

===Skills===

== Combat ==

AC 13 (+2 Leather, +1 Dexterity)
HP 12/12
Movement Rate 40
Attacks
*Primary Melee Attack: Long Sword (+0 / 1d8)
*Secondary Melee Attack: Dagger (+0 / 1d4)
*Primary Ranged Attack: Long Bow (+1 / 1d6)

Saves: 13

== Equipment ==
*Carried Wealth: 1000 gp
*Equipment
**Quick Items: Quiver (20 arrows), Dagger
**Backpack Items: Waterskin, Silk Rope, Flint & Steel, Torch (x8), More Arrows (x20)

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#66 Post by The_Wanderer »

StevetheNPC wrote:Yikes! :shock: Not great stats for a Ranger, but it is S&W after all... I'd like to swap WIS and DEX, please.
Sound good.
StevetheNPC wrote:As for a magical item, how about magical leather armor? Something "woodsy". :D
Your three items:
1. Squirrel Leather Armor - It is unknown whether this set of armor is actually made from squirrel leather but it is clearly magical (+1). In addition, once per day the user is capable of exerting a great burst of speed much like it's namesake (double movement speed for 1 combat round).
2. Potion of Gaseous Form
3. 7 arrows +1 (that was a lucky random roll for you!)
StevetheNPC wrote: Questions about the encumbrance house rules: Do the two weapon slots count toward the total number of slots? Does a quiver hold 20 arrows? Would 20 additional arrows use one slot, and can they go in the backpack?
Just reserve one quick item slot for a quiver. While I like that we at least keep an eye on encumbrance, we're not bothering to track ammunition. Since you got magic ammo though, please track that. I'll probably give you a chance to find any magic ammunition you shoot after combat.

Kits (Optional)
1. Epithet: ...the Irascible
Theme: Houndsman / Houndswoman. This ranger uses war dogs, hunting dogs and mastiffs to fight alongside him against evil. He can tame strays, feral dogs, foxes, and even wolves. At higher level, perhaps he can time monstrous wolves as well and turn them to good …
Fighting Style: Bounder’s Barbs - Battle Axe, Spear and Shield; +1 to damage with both weapons, +1 AC with a shield
Secondary Skill: Navigator / Cartographer

2. Epithet: ...the Disgusting
Theme: Tundra Walker. This is a ranger of the frozen plains and snowfields. Skills include cross country skiing, snowshoeing, shelter building, trap setting (typically pits covered with a thin icy blanket), tundra foraging and hunting. He spends his life eliminating evils in the arctic, including white dragons, frost giants, polar worms and so forth. Putting him in front of a campfire will make him very grumpy.
Fighting Style: Forest Stalker’s Secrets - Long Sword, Darts and Shield; +1 to damage with both weapons, +1 AC with a shield
Secondary Skill: Mason / Builder

3. Epithet: ...the Feral
Theme: Giant Killer. This ranger lives to slay giants. Climbing beanstalks, raiding steadings, and plundering glacial rifts is what he’s all about. In early experience levels, he cuts his teeth fighting great orcs and ogres. No one knows what his personal issue is; perhaps his family was stomped out, or his village was raided. Who knows? He likes to fight the big guys.
Fighting Style: Giant Killer’s Tools - Pole Arm and Long Bow; +1 to damage with both weapons
Secondary Skill: Miner

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#67 Post by StevetheNPC »

Sorry for the delayed reply, but I've been recovering from a minor surgery and the pain is worse than I thought it would have been. The hydrocodone certainly helps, though! :D

Thanks, but I think I'll pass on selecting one of the three kits, as none of them really tickled my fancy.

Okay, character sheet has been updated and posted in the proper thread. Standing by for insertion!

The_Wanderer
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by The_Wanderer »

Looks good. I want to get you involved ASAP but we are mid combat. If this drags, I'll bring you in mid-combat...as if you just stumbled upon this place. Your reason for being here is that you are another adventurer brought here by the Duke who was sent to link up with this party.

StevetheNPC
Scout
Scout

#69 Post by StevetheNPC »

No rush at all, bring me in when ever it works the best for the story.

Return to “Broken Valley (S&W Complete Hexcrawl)”