Ask the GM

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Ask the GM

#1 Post by Distorted Humor »

Have a question, ask me here and I will get back to you ASAP.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ask the GM

#2 Post by Rukellian »

Just to double check, we only need to know the core rules for LL right? We don't need to fuss with AEC?

That and I would like to roleplay my Cleric as much as possible. So would he be allowed to use a lasso and Iron Rolling Pin for his weapon proficiencies? (Following the Diety of Healing, he strives to inflict as little pain as possible to his enemies and avoids killing them if possible, I think the Undead and creatures of pure evil are the exception in most cases)

The Iron Rolling Pin would only be a natural choice for my cleric because he is a baker on the side. If this works for you, I think the Iron Rolling Pin would fit closely with the Mace Proficiency, with lowered stats of course. :D
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by NPC_Randy »

Is there a tutorial for making those character sheets that Rukellian posted in the Player Character thread?

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Distorted Humor »

NPC_Randy wrote:Is there a tutorial for making those character sheets that Rukellian posted in the Player Character thread?

Let me check, if not, I will make one for you :)

As for the lasso - iron rolling pin, I don't see why not, but before I say yes, I need to figure out how I will handle it...

ApathyJesus
Squire
Squire

#5 Post by ApathyJesus »

Are we using encumbrance? I rolled well for starting gold, and could quite easily weigh myself down in adventuring gear, since apparently in LL strength does not increase carrying capacity?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#6 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Can MUs use a sling?
How do we know you're not a donkey-brained man?

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#7 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Another important question: how does Agathon the MU best go about hiring a retainer? Is this type of thing handled in-game?

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rukellian »

Hiring Retainers
Retainers are NPCs that are hired by characters for extra
hands during an adventure. Characters are limited to a finite
number of retainers, which is indicated by the characterÊs
CHA score. Retainers are not mindless slaves, and although
they will share the risks of the PCs, they will not act as battle
fodder willingly. In fact, if abused in any way, retainers will
typically warn others of this abuse and the PCs will soon find it
difficult to hire other retainers.

Retainers are recruited through negotiation. The Labyrinth
Lord plays the roles of the NPCs the PCs attempt to hire. The
PCs can just walk up to strangers in pubs, or seek adventurer
guilds. Alternatively, they may advertise by putting up fliers or
other means. The PCs will have to explain what the job entails
and the rates of pay. Some means of pay might include a
percentage of any treasure recovered, or a flat payment.
Players will also typically pay for any new adventuring gear or
weapons the retainers will require for the adventure, and may
need to secure them mounts. After the offers are made, the
Labyrinth Lord will roll 2d6 on the table below to decide the
potential retainerÊs reactions:
Reaction to Hiring Offer
Roll Offer Result and Reaction
2 Agrees to offer*
3-5 Agrees to offer
6-8 Reroll
9-11 Declines offer
12 Declines offer**
*The offer is accepted with very good spirit, and the retainerÊs
morale receives a bonus of +1 for the adventureÊs duration.
**The potential retainer acts so negatively to the offer that he
spreads negative rumors about the PC, which results in a +1 to
the roll on any further reactions to hiring rolled on the table above
while recruiting in the same town or area.

In Labyrinth Lord the most common races are humans and
halflings, and these races will be available most often as
retainers. More rarely dwarves and elves will be available forhire. Retainers can be of any class or level, except that the
hiring PC must be of an equal level or higher than the
retainers he hires.

Checking Morale
Retainers have a morale rating, indicated by the hiring
characterÊs CHA. This rating can be adjusted at the Labyrinth
LordÊs discretion. It can be increased if the PC has been
particularly good to the retainer, or reduced if the PC has
been cruel or contrary to his word. Morale rolls are made each
time the retainer is exposed to a particularly perilous situation,
and at the end of an adventure. The Labyrinth Lord rolls 2d6,
and if the result is lower than the morale rating, accounting for
any adjustments, the roll has succeeded. If the roll fails, the
retainer will likely flee. If the roll is failed at the end of an
adventure, this retainer will not work for the PC again.
Retainers and Experience

Although retainers are „played‰ by the Labyrinth Lord, they
acquire experience in the same way PCs do, can advance in
level, and are affected by all of the same class rules. Because
retainers follow instructions when on an adventure, thus not
engaging in problem solving, they suffer a penalty of -50% to
experience points (they get 1/2 of a share).

Straight from the LL core rules. Let me know if you need more elaboration on something. :ugeek:
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#9 Post by Distorted Humor »

ok - the Retainers has been answered, I am also using a generator to generate who "shows up" depending on your advertizements.

I have no problem with a Iron rolling pin, (It is a club) but the lasso is a issue, can you find me published rules for one to review?

Slings for MU is fine, as I think of it as a "Small" weapon.

encumbrance is a optional rule - i will make a easy house rule. You can carry 50lbs outside of your armor. Otherwise get mules and horses and the like.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rukellian »

I found info on the Lasso on http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

It was under the Arms and Equipment Guide --> Chapter 3 Weapons --> Miscellaneous Weapons --> Lasso

Though it can be chosen as a main weapon profiency, it says that it gets its bonuses from the Rope Use non-weapon proficiency, depending on how we go about the game, I'd be fine with not fussing about it and just sticking with my rolling pin, but for role-playing sake, it fits my character perfectly I think.

On a side note, I think I'm ready to go with everything else, just waiting on everyone else and the DM to officially start things! I even have my advertisement for Retainers/Hirelings ready to go!

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#11 Post by Distorted Humor »

Rukellian wrote:I found info on the Lasso on http://www.purpleworm.org/rules/

It was under the Arms and Equipment Guide --> Chapter 3 Weapons --> Miscellaneous Weapons --> Lasso

Though it can be chosen as a main weapon profiency, it says that it gets its bonuses from the Rope Use non-weapon proficiency, depending on how we go about the game, I'd be fine with not fussing about it and just sticking with my rolling pin, but for role-playing sake, it fits my character perfectly I think.

On a side note, I think I'm ready to go with everything else, just waiting on everyone else and the DM to officially start things! I even have my advertisement for Retainers/Hirelings ready to go!
I will treat the Lasso like a net.

ApathyJesus
Squire
Squire

#12 Post by ApathyJesus »

That sounds totally fair for encumbrance. Does a shield count as armor, or separate?

I'll finish up my equipment list tonight then :) Thanks!

NPC_Randy
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by NPC_Randy »

Distorted Humor wrote:

GM Fiat (or in this case, LL-Fiat)...gotta love old-school gaming.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#14 Post by Distorted Humor »

NPC_Randy wrote:
Distorted Humor wrote:

GM Fiat (or in this case, LL-Fiat)...gotta love old-school gaming.

Yes, it is what I love about old school gaming, someone has a idea, you think about it, you make a call, and you keep having fun :)

ApathyJesus
Squire
Squire

#15 Post by ApathyJesus »

Detect and Read Magic. I know in my home campaigns I usually gave those to the magic users for free. Is such the case here? (I took them as my first level spells. I'd be delighted to add something else to my book as well, but I don't have a problem with hanging back and being a bowman for a level either.)

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Distorted Humor »

Read magic is free - detect magic is not. But is is ..commonly found/easy to obtain

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Distorted Humor wrote:Read magic is free - detect magic is not. But is is ..commonly found/easy to obtain
In that case, I need to update my spell list....

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rukellian »

I know it was stated earlier that the game's pace would would be 3 posting sessions a week, but I find myself wanting to keep posting when available. If due to my activity the game becomes too fast, someone is probably going to need to tell me. Otherwise, I will eagerly await the next post in the forum.

Probably should have posted this under the chit chat page. Oh well! *shrugs*

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Distorted Humor »

Rukellian wrote:I know it was stated earlier that the game's pace would would be 3 posting sessions a week, but I find myself wanting to keep posting when available. If due to my activity the game becomes too fast, someone is probably going to need to tell me. Otherwise, I will eagerly await the next post in the forum.

Probably should have posted this under the chit chat page. Oh well! *shrugs*
The start of the game is always a mass of postings, then it settles down to a standard number of postings.

SocraticLawyer
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by SocraticLawyer »

Re languages, should those with high INT pick bonus ones now, or learn them in-game?

Return to “Adventures in the Barrowmaze”