Back To The Mines! 1

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Back To The Mines! 1

#41 Post by Tamerlaine »

Led by Grey Tail, the party nervously make their way through the parted kobolds and through the large pair of bronze doors wrought skillfully by the dwarves so long ago. Each of you step through a large chamber with two rows of stone columns, each again carved by dwarven hands. Smoky braziers line the walls, the burning embers casting the chamber in contrasts of golden light and shadow. Two bronze doors are at both the east and west wall.

There are kobolds throughout the chamber and they part out of Grey Tail’s way as you follow close behind. A little child without fear walks up and lifts a hand as if to touch one of you before the mother snatches the youngster away. You met with a mixture of fear, suspicion and awe from the mass of dog-like lizards, yet none offer violence.

Ahead of you, resting on a ‘throne’ of skulls (mostly animal and goblin) is a kobold much bigger than the others. A rather porcine specimen, this kobold is fat with a huge belly and rolls of quavering fat about his person. A necklace of gold hangs from around his thick neck and rings of various metals and glittering gems adorn his pudgy digits. A bevy of what appears to be mostly naked female kobolds lounge at his feet while a line of officious males wait by one side of the throne. They appear to fawn over their king, laughing at every joke and sneering at every insult from their monarch.

With Grey Tail as translator, he introduces you to his king, Snuzud Spiderchew along with a litany of fanciful titles such as ‘Destroyer of Goblins and Bain of Trolls.’

“Sister Parthenope, as a gesture of good faith in regard to our union as allies, my king offers you the remains of your comrade who was unfortunately killed.”

Rreposed upon his throne, Snuzud barks out in his tongue, his fleshy jowls quavering as he claps his hands. Kolbolds suddenly show up with plates and bowls and goblets loaded with a modest quantity of food and drink. You are feted to a feast of grilled rat meat, goblin stew, and mushroom wine. As the feast gets underway, a small cask is brought forward and to your surprise it is dwarven beer! Grey Tale claims the king was waiting for an auspicious moment to tap the beer.

OOC: This is a good time to ask any pertinent questions or role-play your characters.

Actions?

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope can do little to disguise her disdain for the kobold king and his wanton displays of squalid opulence, but she manages to hold her tongue. She nods a curt thanks and accepts the remains. "Parson Paulson, you will surely want to join me now in invoking the Rites, having failed to do so at the time." She tries to put a real sting of judgement in her accusation that Paul should have preformed the Rites while fleeing kobold arrows, but she's too distracted by the strain of repressing voluble judgement on the kobolds all around her to really land the blow.

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#43 Post by alver »

Cedric rests his eyes on the jewelry of the kobold king. He whispers to Ganeg (he couldn't reach the ear of the humans), "Gold! Finally..."

He eyes the food with obvious suspicion. The rat meat looks the least disgusting, almost normal. He takes a bite gingerly.

"So what are ya gonna pay us for taking care of the goblins? We ain't gonna do it for free ya know!"

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#44 Post by VonAlric »

As they walk through the bronze doors, Ganeg begins to take in the craftsmanship. He nods as he looks at the columns, the braziers, the doors that lead to the side rooms, an appreciative look in his eyes. When he sees the kobold king on the skull comprised throne, he angers for a second then gains his composure again. He notes the looks on the faces of the kobolds, recognizing similar looks that were aimed at him many times among humans, elves and others.

Ganeg's stomach growls a bit as the feast comes out. While it is not a normal fare he would consider, he knows how to be polite when necessary. The dwarven beer helps make the rest of the food palatable. After a few mugs of beer, Ganeg then addresses Grey Tail.

"So, you've got a goblin problem. You think it is something that we can help you with. What I would like to know is are you making an alliance with us or is this more of 'hiring' us to assist you? How about telling us what you would like to have happen here? Then, I think, we can figure out how we are going to get along. So, how about it?"
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Antman9 »

Raynor Kjarr: Human Fighter (HP: 8) (AC: 3/4/4 - Banded Mail, Shield)
Action/Status: Proceeds with Caution

Raynor is in awe of the Dwarven craftsmanship of the hall, though the presence of the Kobold dogs dims its grandeur a bit, and saddens him appreciably. Sidling up to Ganeg he whispers, “The Dwarven craftsmanship is grand. Certainly lost I imagine on the new inhabitants.

Raynor isn’t opposed to subpar food stuffs, but rat might be at the limit of his palate. But he does his best to get some down before indulging himself on the wine and Dwarven beer.

I agree Ganeg. We should be clear on what role it is we shall play in this affair. I will concede to group consensus as long as my life isn’t in jeopardy without good reason. What troubles these creatures Grey Tail? And why should we trust them or you?
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Tamerlaine
Ranger
Ranger

#46 Post by Tamerlaine »

Grey Tail listens to your questions patiently before replying. "We are not great and strong, us kobolds. In lieu of this, our god the Great Kurtulmak has blessed us with cunning, more so than our enemies below. We seek an alliance with you for totally selfish reasons. My liege King Spiderchew wishes to behold the head of the goblin chief Grylgluk so he may spit in his dead eye for all the torments inflicted on his people and the tributes given that has made us poor. Give him this small tribute and not only will you be allowed to take refuge in kobold territory, but you receive information on what we know about the things and places below us. Information such as the goblin chieftian Grylgluk has a great crown of gold festooned with gems and a heavy necklace of gold to match it. They have much gold and treasure, more than all of you can carry out in one trip to the surface. Whatever you find you can keep."

The king barks out after rubbing his eyes and patting his rotund belly. Grey Tail nods and continues, "My king is sleepy and wishes to retire to his royal bedchambers. But he wishes for you make a decision now for his hospitality is conditional upon your response. Accept and he will allow you rest till morning where a guide will take you to the way down. Decline and you will be allowed to leave the way you came. But should you decline, well...it will be unfortunate as you will not be allowed to come back in ever again. I hope you choose well."

Actions!

alver
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by alver »

Cedric is unsure where exactly his new companions are going with these negotiations. However, everything he has heard seems in line with what was hastily discussed behind the door shield. So he just looks at his fellow party members, shrugs and nods to show his agreement.

--
Cedric Noakes: AC 6, HP 2/7

VonAlric
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by VonAlric »

Ganeg

Listening to the proposal, Ganeg lets go with a small snort when he hears the true reason. As the time limit is imposed, Ganeg speaks to the kobold king and his advisor (in Kobold).

"So, you give us refuge in here to allow ourselves to heal up and prepare for delving into the goblin area? If this means we can use your home as a place to recover as we make these forays to accomplish our goals, then I think my fellow adventurers may be willing. Allow us to discuss this for a moment."

Ganeg will turn to the party and relay what he said in Kobold. "I know this doesn't suit you very much, Sister, but it can suit all of our goals. Plus, they do provide a little bit of protection when we need to rest up or heal. This arrangement can fit into my reasons for coming here so I see only a small downside where not agreeing makes things much harder. So, what say everyone?"
It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs because they always take things literally.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Antman9 »

Raynor Kjarr: Human Fighter (HP: 8) (AC: 3/4/4 - Banded Mail, Shield)
Action/Status: Acquiesces to the Terms

"Hmmm," Raynor says. "Perhaps there is benefit to everyone in this deal. They do hold the advantage to entry, for now. Their terms are agreeable, if they agree to provide safe haven for our forays. As Ganeg has suggested." He looks to the others for their take, pausing on Sister Parthenope. "There are many ways to skin a cat Sister. Which would you choose at this moment?"
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Pulpatoon »

Sister Parthenope looks like she is trying to tie her eyebrows into a knot as she wrestles with the situation presented before them. Finally, she lands on a homily to guide her. "Even the radiant saint must cross the shit-filled street to enter the temple doors. As long as these creatures treat us in accordance with the tenets of Law and Justice, we shall do the same to them. However, should they betray us, then we will treat them with twice as much Justice!"

She finishes preforming the Rites on poor Aldredus' remains. She then says, "What of his possessions? They are to be returned to us."

When the food arrives, she bangs on the table to interrupt those reaching for it prematurely. "You forgot to say Grace, you greedy, beastly jackanapes! Now sit still and keep your hands down until I say so!

"Oh, gods of Righteousness, we beseech you—bless and purify this food. And if you choose, in your wisdom, to refrain from so doing, and it roils in our stomachs and we do break out into cold sweats and our guts are turned into burning geysers of Shame, we will know it is a Judgement upon us for falling into wicked company."
This said, she grabs a rat and tears in.

Return to “The Mines of Khunmar (LL)”