Character set up / brainstorming

Liaozhai
Scout
Scout

Re: Character set up / brainstorming

#101 Post by Liaozhai »

So we jumped into the story in medias res and have been letting character dynamics and histories shake out naturally, which is great, but I'm curious if anyone had any ideas about who we are and how we came to be (to borrow a phrase).

What we know:
  • We've been on at least one mission together (for Talos)
  • Tatiana is explicitly the newest member, so we've been on more than one mission together, or our first mission was to Kham
  • We completely own a sweet ship with a level 2 spike drive, which would have required a significant amount of capital
Dax comes from wealth, does she own Persephone? Were we all recruited at the same time? For what purpose?

Everyone on the crew is basically a good person, yet we haven't helped Silas find his daughter, even though we have our own ship. Surely therein lies a tale?

What musings do you guys have?

lordgrimli
Strider
Strider

#102 Post by lordgrimli »

Good thinking! I dont have any answers just yet but I love that we have some past that isnt explicit just yet. Half of this journey that I am really enjoying is slowing finding out the past as we find out the future.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Marullus »

I have been enjoying this coming out organically in play - I am impressed by this group of players because this takes a lot of both skill and trust. I am happy to pivot and accept the past assumptions you are projecting my direction - they're awesome.
Liaozhai wrote:Dax comes from wealth, does she own Persephone?
I recuse myself from this vote, but am happy to accept it. (I would imagine it is "rich kid got a Porsche for graduation" and is running it down joyriding with friends.) It is an interesting choice - she wouldn't value it with pride and willingly abdicates to anyone with more zeal for the hard aspects. It easily explains how Wei is the defacto captain and Lloyd pilots "his baby" with impunity.
Liaozhai wrote:Were we all recruited at the same time? For what purpose?
If Dax does have an influencial say, her primary interest is gathering interesting misfits (rather than a deliberate crew). Not having a purpose, it is natural to defer to Wei who has a clearer and less chaotic approach to "doing good" with their talents (and thus providing satisfaction).
Liaozhai wrote:Everyone on the crew is basically a good person, yet we haven't helped Silas find his daughter, even though we have our own ship. Surely therein lies a tale?
I look forward to this tale. :) I like that he is doing a slow reveal in expository play... That is better than deciding OOC, IMHO.

For Dax's part, she is sympathetic to the daughter who ran away and not finding her until she wants to be found. She won't say this out of Empathy for Silas, which WOULD look like a slow-roll. I imagine more pressing things "keep coming up." That allows maximum flexibility for him to reveal as he wishes.

Faanku
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Faanku »

I'll parrot what Marullus said, that keeping things impromptu rather than planned is a lot of fun. I think our crew is great thus far.
Liaozhai wrote:Everyone on the crew is basically a good person, yet we haven't helped Silas find his daughter, even though we have our own ship. Surely therein lies a tale?
I wonder how open Silas has been with the rest of the crew in regards to his missing daughter. Maybe something is keeping his search private? Tatiana would definitely get a sense that something very heavy is weighing him down, but certainly wouldn't push him to talk unless it seemed like he wanted to open up.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by Antman9 »

I too am enjoying how naturally everything is unfolding, and how unique and colorful all of the characters are. I think it is working really well so far. I have a few ideas about Silas around his daughter and other personality traits that I want to bring out in game. In'character Silas sort of forgot about Eli for a short while due to all the excitement of landing, and possible pirates, and now lizardmen attacking.

I agree with the comment about misfits..in that Silas would have no particular purpose other than searching for his daughter , primarily out of fear, because she's his daughter, but also, because his wife is dead, and he needs something to keep him occupied, something to keep his hands and mind busy, but also something new and exciting, which this crew offers. I've been thinking abut how Silas would interact with the rest of the other crew members, and I'll continue to do that and interact accordingly.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Return to “Into the Unknown (Stars Without Numbers)”