Session 4: The Grove

DM: Dave
Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: The Grove

#361 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

With the bolt perfectly placed and watching as the druid fell to the ground dead, Hargrem did the only thing he could. From his place among the brambles and tangles, he witnessed the woman fall thanks to a well placed strike by the gnome. With the battle well in hand, Hargrem received some words of encouragement from Sky as he attempted to free himself from the lasting effects of the druid.

Luckily, he did not need them, and he ran over to the dragonborn and sent that last of his holy energy his way.
Strength Check: [1d20] = 16
Cast Cure Wounds on Klilxuac: [1d8+3] = 3+3 = 6
Last edited by Shaede on Thu May 02, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#362 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben steps around the druid nodding his thanks to Hargrem and tries to attack Sharwyn.

Rapier To Hit: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24, Damage: [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#363 Post by dmw71 »

GreyWolfVT wrote:Kelben steps around the druid nodding his thanks to Hargrem and tries to attack Sharwyn.

Rapier To Hit: [1d20+4] = 20+4 = 24, Damage: [1d8+2] = 1+2 = 3
Sky, you're up next.

This (obviously) isn't an official update, but this attack kills Sharwyn (the daughter of the woman that hired you. :lol: )

Please plan your action accordingly.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#364 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Out of the corner of her eye, Sky sees Kelben racing forward to join the melee. He does so with great effect as his blade strikes true. "Good to see you still feisty, Kelben."

She leaves Kelben to his task and continues on to check on Klilxuac. "Hargrem! Nice shot. But it's time to get off the grass." Sky uses words of encouragement to try to help Hargrem break free of the weeds. Another Bardic Inspiration for Hargrem.

She will attempt to stabilize the dragonborn when she reaches him.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#365 Post by dmw71 »

Shaede, feel free to revise your action based on the latest.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#366 Post by dmw71 »

Round 10
Technically, Kelben would not have been able to reach Sharywn without using Dash for his action (which would prevent him from using his Attack action); but as every subsequent response assumed Kelben's attack took place, I'm just going to allow it.
Fueled by his desire to end the threat, Kelben, the battered and bruised gnome, propels himself across the battleground faster than he's ever moved before! Rapier extended when he arrives, he drives it into the already weakened wooden form of Sharwyn who topples over; chunks of barky "flesh" chip off and fly at the point of impact, and also the side of her form as it crashes to the floor.

Sky, scampering out of the way of the fallen tree form, races towards Klilxuac. The tabaxi tries her hand and stabilizing the fallen sorcerer, studying the scale pattern of their dragonborn companion. She's relieved once she's able to detect a very faint heartbeat, and feels confident that it's not too late. Using words of encouragement, she encourages Hargrem to finally break free of the weeds and assist in making sure Klilxuac's life doesn't still slip away.

Mere seconds away from passing into the afterlife, Klilxuac feels a powerful urge to cling to life for a bit longer.

The conflict essentially over, Hargrem finally manages to break himself free from the entanglement. Naturally, it was his sheer force of will, and not the fact that the conjured plants had begun to wilt away at the passing of Belak. The holy man spends a second pulling away vines and leaves and weeds from his form while he moves to the unconscious, but stable form of Klilxuac. Saying a quick prayer to Tymora, Hargrem causes a blue flash of divine healing energy to spread over the sorcerer's form. The surge of healing energy begins to sharpen the red color in the dragonborn's scales as it works its course.

Klilxuac opens his eyes. "I swear, I was dead..." he says, weakly.

Nearby, the Twig Blights continue to sleep... for a short bit longer.

---

Nice work, guys!

Any final actions before we bring this one to a close?

---

Date: 15 Flamerule 1489
Time: 09:51 (Sunrise: 05:56, Sunset: 20:07)
Temp: 56°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac's 'Light' spell (see below). Concealed.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 15 Flamerule @ 10:32)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 15 Flamerule @ 14:01)
  • Klilxuac: Advantage on Charisma checks for 24 hours (Ends: 16 Flamerule @ 07:48)
  • Sky: Sleep on Sharwyn, Blue Twig, Red Twig (Ends: End of Round 12)
  • Belak: Entangle (Ends: End of Round 13)
  • Restrained: Hargrem
  • Hargrem: Bardic Inspiration (1d6) from Sky
  • Belak: Shillelagh on Staff
  • Sharwyn: Sleep on Hargrem (Ends: End of Round 16)
  • Sharwyn: Bane, from Hargrem (Ends: End of Round 18)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#367 Post by dmw71 »

What a battle!
Battle.jpg
Battle.jpg (51.92 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

That was hard-fought. What's crazy is, you guys had hits that took the Tree, Belak, and Sharwyn down to exactly 1 hit point. That single hit point allowed them to hang around just a bit longer, and really could have made a difference.[/ooc]
P.S. I just noticed a math error in the calculations of Sir Braford's hit points, so he should still have 2 hit points left.

Roll initiative. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#368 Post by Scott308 »

dmw71 wrote:Technically, Kelben would not have been able to reach Sharywn without using Dash for his action (which would prevent him from using his Attack action); but as every subsequent response assumed Kelben's attack took place, I'm just going to allow it.
I almost mentioned this, but then I realized Kelben could get there and attack by using his cunning action to dash as a bonus action. Also, Klilxuac would have died on his turn, before Hargrem could have healed him, unless Sky would have succeeded on a Medicine check to stabilize him. Or pulled Klilxuac's Potion of Healing out and administered it to him.

I guess we should kill the sleeping twig blights. We need to loot the bodies, get the ring from Sharwyn, find the other ring, head back up and get to town for our reward.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#369 Post by dmw71 »

Scott308 wrote:...I realized Kelben could get there and attack by using his cunning action to dash as a bonus action.
Ahh, yes. I was forgetting about that.

For the benefit of everyone else, it was very fortunate timing for Klilxuac. If Kelben or Sky hadn't healed him before his turn, Scott just failed his third death saving throw so Klilxuac was on the verge of dying. I was legitimately starting to think up some side quest for the group to go through in order to get money/locate a high enough level cleric in order to get him raised before starting off on the next module.

Speaking of which, I'm going to need a bit of time to get the next adventure ready, and you guys may or may not be switching up your characters, but I'll be sure to keep you guys rolling before too long.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#370 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

With everyone back on their feet, Hargrem assessed the situation. "Yes, let's put those things down!" he said. The cleric took out his mace and went to town on one of the blights hacking and thrashing as he did.
Attack Red Blight: [1d20+2] = 16+2 = 18
Advantage roll: [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21
Damage: [1d6] = 3
Crit Damage due to Unconscious: [1d6] = 5

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#371 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

Sky gently pats the Dragonborn sorcerer on the back. "Nah. Can't let you die. Wouldn't do for telling the tale at the tavern. Although, maybe a good heroic death would be even more enthralling. I'll keep that in mind next time." Sky says with a wink.

She moves over to the fallen druid and checks him for items or information.

"Everyone still standing? Sorta is a fine answer."

GreyWolfVT

#372 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben moves over to help take down the sleeping blights. Attacking the opposite one from Hargrem.

Rapier To Hit: [1d20+4] = 10+4 = 14, Damage: [1d8+2] = 7+2 = 9
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Scott308

#373 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

Gathering himself after regaining consciousness, the dragonborn makes sure the party gets Sharwyn's family ring. We need to figure out where the other ring ended up and return that to Lady Hucrele as well.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#374 Post by dmw71 »

Epilogue
Hargrem and Kelben do the honors and eliminate the defenseless twig blights in their slumber.

After inspecting the deceased form of Belak, Sky discovers the druid was in possession of a key, three potions of healing, two doses of antitoxin, and, after witnessing Belak using it to great success against them, a Wand of Entangle.

Mindful of their original objective, Klilxuac moves to the fallen tree-hybrid form of Sharwyn and does manage to carve the family ring from her right hand. "We need to figure out where the other ring ended up and return that to Lady Hucrele as well," he adds.

Before beginning to head back, Sir Braford is also searched, and the only item of any interest in his possession was his sword -- which seemed to be quite effective when used against them.

Once the group had finalized everything they intended to do in this final battleground, they take several moments to reorient themselves and retrace their progress through this Grove level and back towards the shaft, through which they descended to this lower level from above. Once there, their memories are sparked, and they recall the goblin leader tossing the second Hucrele ring down the shaft, which was previously not discovered.
  • Everyone that wants to search for it, feel free to make an Investigation check for me.
After the search for the second ring is concluded, the group uses the vines to climb back up the shaft, then work their way through the upper level back towards the entrance -- avoiding the previously detected trap.

Their journey back to Oakhurst is uneventful.

The group eventually makes their way back to the General Store, and their arrival brings much delight to Kerowyn Hucrele, its owner and operator. Her delight is short lived once the fate of her children is shared with her, but she is extremely appreciative for the return of her family rings. "One moment," she says, ducking down behind the counter before rising with several sacks; you can tell, from their sound, they're filled with coins. "You've earned this," she says, handing two sacks to each of you.

"I'm sure you've been through a great ordeal, and could use a good night of rest -- Garon, at the Ol Boar Inn, has standing orders to put all of your expenses from his establishment on my tab." she says, smiling.

"I don't know what you plan to do next, but if you're still looking for adventure... "

With that, we're going to wrap this one up.

---

The sacks from Ms Hucrele will contain either 125 gold pieces, or 250 gold pieces, depending upon whether one of you is able to locate the second family ring.

Take your time and use this to divvy up the treasure and decide who's taking what.

I won't lock this one down right away and allow you a chance to role-play with Ms Hucrele, and accept her next offer if you're so inclined. Also, this will be the chance to swap out your character (and to formally introduce Gerrin into the game).

I still need some time to prep the next adventure, so feel free to keep role-playing here in the meantime.

It may be a bit before we get moving again, but hopefully not too long.

---

Date: 15 Flamerule 1489
Time: 14:51 (Sunrise: 05:56, Sunset: 20:07)
Temp: 56°F
Conditions: Cool.
Light Sources:
  • Klilxuac's 'Light' spell (see below). Concealed.
Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • Klilxuac: 'Light' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 15 Flamerule @ 10:32)
  • Klilxuac: 'Mage Armor' spell (1st-level) (Ends: 15 Flamerule @ 14:01)
  • Klilxuac: Advantage on Charisma checks for 24 hours (Ends: 16 Flamerule @ 07:48)
  • Sky: Sleep on Sharwyn, Blue Twig, Red Twig (Ends: End of Round 12)
  • Belak: Entangle (Ends: End of Round 13)
  • Restrained: Hargrem
  • Hargrem: Bardic Inspiration (1d6) from Sky
  • Belak: Shillelagh on Staff
  • Sharwyn: Sleep on Hargrem (Ends: End of Round 16)
  • Sharwyn: Bane, from Hargrem (Ends: End of Round 18)
Character Status ---

Marching Orders
Scout
  • Kelben
5-foot
  • Hargrem
    Kelben
    Sky
    Klilxuac
10-foot
  • Kelben | Hargrem
    Klilxuac | Sky
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

GreyWolfVT

#375 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Scott308

#376 Post by Scott308 »

Qelgrax Klilxuac

I'm honored that we were able to bring closure and return the heirloom to you. I just wish we could have brought better news as well. As for what's next...I don't know. This was a difficult endeavor, and I don't know what others may wish to do. As for myself, I would be interested in another adventure. If you know of something, I would be interested in hearing about it.

GreyWolfVT

#377 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Kelben "It was worth it albeit a challenge, I think we all need a couple days to just rest without something trying to kill us. Been close to death a few times on this endeavor." the gnome adds.

Shaede
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#378 Post by Shaede »

Hargrem

The battle with Belak and his unnaturally natural foes was tough on them all. They had nearly lost the sorcerer, but he was glad they did not. On the journey back to town, he did what he could to patch Klilxuac wounds. They all looked like hammered dung. The group had been through way too much nearly wiping them out in the process. However, Tymora smiled upon them, and they were victorious.

With the objective complete and the rings returned to the children's mother, Hargrem collapsed into a seat at the tavern. It was time to drink, and drink heavily. They divvied up the spoils of war and regaled the adventure they had just concluded. He liked these people. He wished that he could stay, but he sensed that his god was calling him elsewhere.

When morning came, he bid his goodbyes with a lot of hearty handshakes and smiles. He had rid Oakhurst of the evil that had plagued it for so long. Hargrem procured a horse and left town the very next morning. His tale was not quite over, but he knew that it diverged from his new friends.

Exit Hargrem

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#379 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sky

On the trip back through the Grove, Sky looks for Erky and checks what the key may open as she makes her way back up. On the Citadel level, she looks for Grenl and the set of personalized Hurcule armor she left with the Shaman.

Once back above ground, Sky regains a bit of her natural exuberance and takes the time to devise a song and lyrics capturing her mood.
Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle - that's the thing.

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...
After a lovely stroll through the countryside and dealing with the boring accounting of the adventure, Sky spots the inn up ahead. She races to the door and bursts in, proclaiming their complete victory over the forces of the Evil Gardener. She is already a drink and a paragraph deep as the others make their way in.

"So then the DragonPriest burst forth from his prison, eyes red with malice, fangs dripping with intent, focused his entire being on his sole goal in unlife: Eating our small gnomish hero!"

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Session 4: The Grove

#380 Post by dmw71 »

Moving things here: Session 5: Return to Oakhurst.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Tales From the Yawning Portal (5e)”