Garrett's Abbey

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Garrett's Abbey

#1 Post by Marullus »

stone-bridge-over-the-river-small.jpg
stone-bridge-over-the-river-small.jpg (128.86 KiB) Viewed 829 times
A stone bridge now crosses the river in Frogmorton, making passage and pilgrimage to the eastward roads easier and no longer dependent on ferry barges. It is wide enough for one horse-wagon and sturdy enough to bear the loads. On the eastern bank, a four-story stone tower, 40' square with a domed stone roof, rises, its upper windows kept lit as a beacon of the God of Light to those who venture beyond the river. This is Garrett's Abbey, a wayhouse and chapel of Baudh named for its patron. The bottom floor is a chapel for Baudhic services and for the weary traveler to rest, protected by Baudh's might. The second floor has beds for travelers to use for free, and a soup pot kept stocked. The third and fourth floors are the home of a few monastic abbots of Baudh's church in Gaul, who provide the services and aid of Baudh to those in need east of the river.

A fresco is on the west wall, placed to catch the light of the morning sun. Titled "Sir Piers Before The Great Wyrm," it shows the knight standing before the terrible visage of the dragon Scatha, thrusting a blazing brand into his slavering maw.

Services:
- Free lodging and poor meals to all who stay here.
- Baudh's Light: Tower is visible in all surrounding hexes to allow no chance of being lost navigating back to the bridge.
- Baudh's Dominion: The tower is protected from evil, helping keep it from being assailed and protecting those resting within.
- Baudh's Rest: Anyone resting/recovering overnight here gains [1d3+1] per day instead of [1d3] hp.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Garrett's Abbey

#2 Post by Jernau35 »

On his way to the festival Sir Piers Garret stays over at the abbey he has caused to be built in the service of Baudh. He is pleased with it's construction and hopes that it will provide great comfort to all in the name of The Sun Father.

Piers especially admires the fresco on the west wall, placed to catch the light of the morning sun. Titled Sir Piers Before The Great Wyrm", it shows the knight standing before the terrible visage of the dragon Scatha, thrusting a blazing brand into his slavering maw.

Whilst there, reminiscing on his heroic exploit, it occurs to him that perhaps he has not yet fully examined the dwarven hammer he liberated from the dragon's hoard. He decides to cast Detect Magic to see if it possesses any unique qualities.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

Does Garrett live in this abbey?

After checking on the logging yard and sawmill in Frogmorton, Amistad visits the abbey en route to the Fall Festival, enquiring as to the whereabouts of Sir Piers.

He knocks politely on the sturdy doors (obviously made with timber from his yard).

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Jernau35 »

I suppose he does, at least for the moment. He was previously living "at the temple" in Gaul, so he might just as well stay here. At least the soup is free!

Upon being informed of Amistad's arrival by one of the abbots, Piers comes down to the chapel to meet him.

"Ah, Mr Amistad isn't it? I believe we met briefly a week or two ago in your eponymous homestead. How are you? And to what do I owe the pleasure of this visit?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

"Greetings Sir Piers. I understand the pixies and centaurs remained elusive. We have to tread with care in the forest for the boughs shelter all manner of fey and foe. They appear when they want to be seen or not at all. Should Lady Halfpint and company attempt another trip I have instructed my loggers and scouts to afford a better welcome.

And that brings me to my seeking yourself. As you may be aware from scattered notices of intention, I plan to launch an expedition northwards into orc territory after the festival concludes. However I don't feel I would carry the neccessary skills to front the Gaul envoyship. Trade I can handle, furs, minerals and goods but to establish an Embassy requires a nobility and diplomacy.

Sirs Piers, you have no declared interest in land around Gaul. The Duke would authorize your commision should such a prospect entice you?"

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers considers Amistad's proposition for a few moments. "Indeed, you are right. This Abbey was my first venture into property and of course was done on behalf of Baudh. I had thought my own ambitions would be satisfied further down the line. But now that you have brought it up, the idea is.....enticing".

"And of course nobility and diplomacy are what the Garrets are known for. If the Duke requires my service, I will be more than glad to accompany your expedition. You may count me in"
Piers gives Amistad a firm handshake.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

shakes his hand in verbal agreement. If Piers is heading to the fall festival he can be accompanied by Amistad who has his wagon and aides.

Perhaps Piers could make an approach to Crowgar to retain for him again on the expedition north? It helps with planning how many people can fit into the river canoe and what expeditionary supplies I need to take.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Jernau35 »

"I can certainly ask him", Piers says. "Though he did quite well from his share of Scatha's horde and I don't think he was too inclined to risk his life again".

"If not, I'm sure a decent man-at arms would jump at the chance of working for a well-filled purse from Sir Piers Garret. I'm sure the news that Crowgar came back alive and rich from such a dangerous trip will be well known among the mercenaries".

Marullus - I've looked for the thread with Crowgar's last location. Where do I have to go to find him?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

read previous post that his sister declined further expeditions but he offered to join with you again.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Thats the post I was looking for. Where is it? I think he said something along the lines of " if you really need me, I'll join you" so I was assuming it would have to be something along the lines of another save-Gaul-from-terrible-threat type quest.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

"You're an honorable man, Piers Garrett. I am glad we've served you well. Due to the success you've helped us achieve we likely shall have little need to take such risks again. But if occasion should arise that you need strength in the service of Baudh for some dire need, I will hear your call."
taken from chapel of Baudh. Your commision from the Duke to be his potential ambassador to the orcs would surely be warrant enough.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Jernau35 »

I know this sounds a bit silly, but Piers/me has a bit of a soft spot for Crowager & Rowine. They were his first retainers, and with him through a couple of adventures. Crowager almost died in the last fight with the goblins in Scatha's hall and Piers saved his life. I'd rather try Piers' luck with trying to get a new henchperson or two, and try Crowager as a last resort / "dire need". The guy earned his retirement :lol:

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers thinks about the idea of asking Crowager to accompany them on the trip for a few moments. "I think I'd rather leave him in peace for the moment. He did say 'in dire need' and I'm not sure this qualifies. He survived the battle with Scatha. I'd hate to see him killed by an orc arrow to the back, or bitten by a snake."

Piers falls silent again, no longer as self-absorbed as he usually is. Finally he speaks, softly. "He was dealt a terrible blow by a spear in the final battle with the goblins and almost died in my arms. It took all the grace that Baudh could give me to keep him alive. No, Crowager has earned his retirement, at least until a true dire need arises."

"I'll talk with the acolytes at the chapel and see if they can recommend another of the faithful who might accompay us".

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Frogmorton Ford”