House Rules

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

House Rules

#1 Post by ffilz »

HOUSE RULES FOR PLAY:

The limits for stats are (take the lowest limit):
for xDy max is x*y + x (i.e. 3D6 max is 18+3 = 21)
for xDy+z max is x*y+z+x+1 (if z is > 6 check with me, there might be more than a +1 - I don't think any PC races have more than +6)
for STR, CON, DEX max is 1.5 * original (round up, this is a house rule)
for STR and CON max is the highest of CON, STR, SIZ

The die combo maxes apply to INT and SIZ as well, but not worth noting them since they are not normally improvable.

House rule: HP is (CON + SIZ) /2 (round up) + POW bonus. And then I realized that reduces the maximum possible for humans, so if CON or SIZ is 17+ add +2, if 13-16 add +1 (no penalty for low CON or SIZ, that's already been factored in the averaging...).

For skills a few things about the ability bonuses (you should list these on your character sheet also):

1. If your previous experience sets a flat percentage for a skill, you get your ability bonus on top of that.

2. For experience and training, the ability bonus is left out (this makes experience and training a bit easier for anyone with a positive bonus).

Due to #2, you may want to indicate your skills as Spot Hidden 25 (35) assuming you have a +10% Perception and got trained to 25%.

They do add some additional skills, which is fine. I guess I also started to use the Oratory ability bonus (renamed Communication) for Languages also (which is fine and good).

Newtlings get a base Swimming of 80% and Ducks a base Swimming of 90%.

The additional skills:

Knowledge:
Identify Plants base 5% (from Cults of Prax)

Manipulation:
Boat base 5%
Crafting base 5% (if this is advanced must chose a specialty)
Dancing base 10%
Throw base 25%

Communication:
Singing 5%
Bargaining 5%
Bribery 5%
Story Telling 5%

Here's some info on using your cult credit (and some "house rules" on spells - some of the little bits I take from RQ2):

You can train skills up to 25% or one 5% increase if your skill is already 25% (remember, this is the base skill, you don't consider your ability bonus, so if a skill has a 5% base, you can train it 4 times to 25% and then you add your 10% ability bonus for an effective 35% skill).

Speedart and Multimissile are variable spells (variable 1-4). I use the RQ2 costs for those:

1st point 500, 2nd 1000, 3rd 1500, 4th 2000, 5th 2500, 6th 3000.

I'll also add here that RQ2 combines Padding and Protection into a variable spell (1-4) and adds the Xenohealing variable spell (used for healing animals and critters) and Spirit Shield (I think this is also a 1-4 variable spell).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: House Rules

#2 Post by ffilz »

CHARACTER GENERATION

Here I combine all the notes on character generation.

NOTE: RQ2 has some significant differences, especially in the Previous Experience, if you only have RQ2 rules, please consult with me before just haring off and rolling...

Use campaign 697 in the dice roller: http://www.unseenservant.com/

Pick the race you would like to play and I'll let you know what you should roll for stats. Many attributes will be rolled with [4d6k3] but there are some exceptions. For example, a player may want the option to have more choice for SIZ in which case the player should roll [1d6][1d6][1d6][1d6] and choose the three dice rolls they prefer to sum up. This allows picking a smaller SIZ if desired. Non-humans get don't all roll their stats on 4d6k3. Also INT is rolled on 3d6k2+6 generally.

Since we are doing Pavis, you can roll Background (p.15), but you may always choose to be a barbarian (Praxian nomad). We will also be doing the Previous Experience from pp.106-108 (this has significant changes for anyone who happens to only have RQ2 just as a fair warning). The Background roll may need modification for some non-humans. The Previous Experience may also need some modifications (some noted below).

For the most part, pick a race from: Human, Elf, Duck, Baboon, Newtling

Possibilities with consideration: Dark Troll, Dwarf, Pixie, Wind Child

If we did a whole campaign: Lycanthropes

For a Duck:

STR [3d6k2]
INT [3d6k2+6] (this is an official variant to roll INT on 2D6+6)
POW [4d6k3]
CON [3d6k2+6]
DEX [3d6k2+6]
CHA [3d6k2]
SIZ [1d4+2][1d4+2] (pick one of the two rolls)

The effects of SIZ from a Duck's perspective

SIZ 1-4 gives +5% to Defense (dodging), +10% to Stealth
SIZ 5-8 gives +5% to Stealth

Damage bonus is based on the average of STR and SIZ:
1-6 -1d4
7-12 no bonus or penalty

PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NOTES

Note the characteristic improvement can not exceed the maximums listed in the house rules above.

Praxian nomads are automatically mounted barbarian. You will also need to select your tribe:

Bison, High Llama, Impala (you must be small for this tribe), Sable, Zebra

Other tribes are Bolo Lizard, Pol Joni, Rhino, and Unicorn (female warriors)

Ducks don't do cavalry...

Since previous experience doesn't add to the new communication skills at all, divide 20 percentage points across the skills as you desire (in 5% increments).

An additional option for Apprentice in previous experience is any craft, take one craft at 75% (I will be generous as to what the craft covers or if it makes sense to have related ones, up to two related ones at 50% - basically I'm mirroring Armorer).

There is a boatman's guild (similar to Maritime) you can attempt to join. If you succeed, it will give you a chance at languages just like Mercenary does (roll your skill percentages for whatever languages you learn using the chart on p.107 from Nobles and then apply them to your choice of languages. The other skills it gives are Rowing 50%, Swimming (50% or +5%), and Limnology (roll skill using the chart on p.106 from Mercenaries). Boatmen learn languages due to the folks they transport and deal with.

Maritime: Add languages like Mercenaries.

Fisherman (no need to roll for peasant). Gives you some River Speech, roll on the Mercenary skill chart.

Farmer (no need to roll for peasant). need to fill in something...

I'm going to relax the rules on apprenticeships for peasants a bit... You can attempt to join a different guild if you fail to be accepted for your first choice.

In some cases (especially shield training) it is appropriate to take a different weapon if you are not strong enough. For shields, take the largest shield you can use instead.

CULT CHOICE

Primarily use Cults of Prax. There is also a thieve's/gang cult, Foundchild (hunter), Zola Fel (river) and a few others.

Check with me about determining Lay or Initiate status.

If your CHA is 13 or higher, note the discount on training, 5% per point above 12.

If your cult offers free spells, you (BIG BONUS!) get the max (4 or 6) for variable spells (BIG BONUS!). For free skills, train up to 25% (or +5% if they offer free training in a skill with a 25% base, or if you train something you got during Previous Experience).

Foundchild

As a house rule, if you choose Foundchild as your primary cult at the start, the requirement for 25% in a missile weapon is waived (otherwise you would need at least a +15% Attack Bonus so your Javelin or Cross-Bow base skill qualifies... Well, unless you stretch and allow Thrown Rock to qualify...).

To abstract the qualification for Initiate status, make a roll of DEX + INT + POW or less on 1d100 if you succeed you are a permanent initiate. If you miss that roll, try again and if you succeed the 2nd time, you are an initiate, but not yet permanent. Otherwise you are just a lay member.

CULT CREDIT

As a house rule, I will still grant cult credit (POW * 100 Lunars). Here's some info on using your cult credit (see house rules above for some changes to spells). You may spend cult credit on any spell or skill the cult teaches as described in the cult write up.

EQUIPMENT

I just sent an invitation to access the Pavis City Players Guide (Common Knowledge). If you haven't sent me your e-mail that you use for Google Docs yet, please do so and I'll send you an invite also.

One thing it has is an alternate price list that we will use (I may need to help convert armor prices since it's based on RQ2 which has different armor).

You can train skills up to 25% or one 5% increase if your skill is already 25% (remember, this is the base skill, you don't consider your ability bonus, so if a skill has a 5% base, you can train it 4 times to 25% and then you add your 10% ability bonus for an effective 35% skill).

LANGUAGES

Language suggestions (with Praxian as your native for most of you):

Lunar (the conquerors)
Sartarite (the neighbors to the west)
Aldryami (Elf)
Darktongue (Troll)
Balazar (the neighbors to the north)
Old Pavic (dead language of Pavis)
Tradetalk (common tongue of trade)

Father afield:
Grazelander (to the west of Sartar)
Esrolian (to the southwest of Sartar)
Tarshite (to the west of Sartar)

There are other more esoteric languages that I think should be learned in play.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Return to “Frank's RuneQuest 1”