[Closed] 1: Otosan Uchi

Starbeard
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: Prologue: Otosan Uchi

#81 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru while thinking the scenic route a nice change of pace merely defers to the experts and agrees to the first travel route, he merely daydreams of the scenery of the scenic route.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

LtTibbles
Ranger
Ranger

#82 Post by LtTibbles »

Koga will vote on Route B, leaving on horse day.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#83 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

Aiko

ooc: I think Aiko would try and cajole Kago into route A, leaving on horse day. I don't think the scenic route would get them to Harada's village in time for the festival there. Maybe I'm wrong but, if they go that way, they may not even make the Beiden Pass festival unless they are able to make good time. She's determined not to do that.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Starbeard »

Okay, so it looks like we have a basic consensus for route A. Koga and Osaru would rather take route B, but seem intent on deferring to the party rather than planning their own separate trip.

Senichi wants to leave on Morning Day (25th), and not travel during Death Day (being a priest, that's against his vows). The Mirumoto siblings are edging for Horse Day (24th), presumably in the hopes of getting to Doji Castle in time for the Star Festival. The different preferences shouldn't be a problem, since Senichi has already expressed an interest in staying away from Assitant Harada during the trip.

As far as preparations go, you can walk, or ride if you have a horse (or can procure one). There are Imperial way stations all along the highway, spaced out so that on average you should encounter about two way stations per day. Most are just small rest stops where you can pay a copper zeni for a meal and tea, and they may or may not even have someone watching over the station. Something like this:

A few stations will be larger, with a small garrison led by an Imperial magistrate. They may even guard over a gate that blocks the road, so that they can question anyone who passes. Often you will find a country inn or small hamlet near the way stations, too. In other words, while you might want to do some shopping to get ready for the trip, as long as you stay on the Imperial Roads and don't have complications then you should be able to buy your food and drink as you travel.

I'll finalize the travel stuff and get back to you. I've been down sick, so it might take a day or two, sorry for the delay. If there is anything you'd like to do on your initiative before the History Festival, let me know; otherwise I will make the rolls and fast forward everything to the next encounters and/or final preparations to leave.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Starbeard »

Falling Leaf Month, 22nd (Death Day, Low Week)
Two days go by without incident, and the eve of the History Festival arrives. The city is alive with anticipation. Paper lanterns are hung over the doors, children play with dragon streamers, and the evening sky is scintillant with firework displays. Street goers toss coins at the feet of the monks who slowly pace through the streets playing bamboo flutes, their heads covered by wicker baskets.

The inn is now filled to the brim with occupants, some even paying good money just to sleep on the floor in the common rooms. The brash Crab samurai who was staying with you at the inn departs, not wanting to bother with the coming crowds.

Falling Leaf Month, 23rd (Luck Day, Low Week) — The History Festival
The festival itself is breathtaking. You’ve never seen so many people, so many parades, so many displays of magic, so many fireworks. The main event in your own neighbourhood is a kabuki play reenacting the birth of the Empire, when the eight Children of the Sun and Moon fell to the earth and formed the seven great clans and the Hantei dynasty.

Aiko receives 2 honor points for attending a festival

The festival continues well into the evening. Eventually you end up at a small party with Master Kagewo in his home, on the other side of the garden behind the inn. The party goes into the smallest hours of the night, and Kagewo wasn’t exaggerating—his liquor is the best.

Attending the party is a famous Phoenix actor, Shiba Takeyuki, one of the players in the kabuki drama from earlier. He clearly comes from wealth, and brings a few small gifts to hand out. When he hears that you are on your way to Beiden Pass, he waxes nostalgic about the time he performed at the Mountain Shrine there, and the Goddess of the Lake came down out of the water to watch the ritual.

“I was to perform there again this year, but unfortunately I have duties elsewhere. I would be in your debt if you give this tea set to Lord Nasu of Beiden Pass, as my apology for not coming. To show my gratitude, please accept this humble box. It is not much, but it has brought me warmth in the cold mountains of my home.” He presents to the party a small black lacquerware box, with a winter scene painted on it. A live cricket is inside. “So long as a cricket lives within,” he says, “the bed next to which this is placed will always be warm.”

Anyone who accepts the charge to deliver the tea set receives 1 glory point for the gift. Please update your character sheets accordingly.

Falling Leaf Month, 24th (Horse Day, Low Week)
Everyone wakes late the next morning. The twins Aiko and Koga plan on leaving today, with Assistant Harada, so that they can make it to Kakita Castle for the Star Festival, while Senichi will wait until tomorrow and get a lucky start to his trip. The others haven’t yet decided which party they’ll travel with.

No other encounters have come up; once I know who's going in which travel party, I'll move things along.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;7, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

GreyWolfVT

#86 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Osaru is happy going in which ever travelling group the rest decide to go in, I'd rather not split us up. However he does not wish to deliver the tea set.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by ffilz »

With our two travel groups, can folks who travel in the group other than the one the tea set travels with get the glory (it sort of feels like no to me). Senichi would be delighted to take charge of the tea set.
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Starbeard »

I'll say that the party with the tea set gets the glory now, and if the other party can meet up at the other end to present the tea set, then they'll get it too.

ffilz
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by ffilz »

Starbeard wrote:I'll say that the party with the tea set gets the glory now, and if the other party can meet up at the other end to present the tea set, then they'll get it too.
Sounds fair. So we need Osaru and Kenta to declare which group they are leaving. Osaru indicated a desire to not split the group, but unless the twins decide not to leave today and decide not to accompany Haruda, we're splitting in two groups (even if the second group is Senichi by himself).
Dr. Samuel Linkletter 6AAB83, Age 30, Doctor, 3 Terms. Medical-3, Blade Cbt-1, Streetwise-1, Mechanical (Cloth)-1, Scholar-2, Mechanical (Metal)-0, Mechanical (Wood)-0, Mechanical (Stone)-0, Mechanical (Machinery)-0, Admin-0, Pistol-0
Matsumoto Senichi Iuichi Unicorn Shugenja, Rank 1, Glory: 2;0, Honor: 3;6, XP: 5, FIRE 3 // Agility 3 / Intelligence 3, AIR 2 // Reflexes 2 / Aware 3, WATER 3 // Strength 3 / Perc 3, EARTH 2 // Stamina 2 / Will 2, VOID 2,
Calligraphy (Per) 1, Defense (Agil) 1, Herbalism (Int) 1, Horsemanship (Awar/Agil) 1, Hunting (Per) 1, Meditation (Void) 1, Kenjitsu (Agil) 1
Giotto Lombardi 856994 Age 26 (2 Terms) Electonics-1, Vacc Suit-0, Computer-1, Bribery-1, Shotgun-0, Cr 1000, Shotgun

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Rex »

Kenta is going with Senichi.

Captain Kinkajou
Ranger
Ranger

#91 Post by Captain Kinkajou »

In character Aiko would willingly/eagerly take the tea set but ooc I'm happy to say that Senichi got in there first. It feels like it would be the first person to agree that took primacy, though others could then help to see the job done. As Frank says, at least 2 groups is on the cards here. There's not really any way around it that I can see.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Starbeard »

The matter is settled. Senichi and Kenta will travel together as one party, carrying the tea set and the gift of the box, accompanied by Senichi's servant Saburo; and Aiko, Koga and Osaru (unless he says otherwise) will travel together as another party, accompanied by Assistant Harada.

Senichi and Kenta each receive 1 Glory Point as the famed actor Shiba Takeyuki bows before them in front of the entire party.

Alright, I've got encounter tables together and everything. I'll split the two parties into separate travel threads, and post tomorrow morning/dayish when I have the time to look up some nice pictures. I'd like to really set the scene as we move ahead from here.

登場人物
  • Kenta, monk: no armor (TN10), naginata 6k4 (DR 7k3) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Matsumoto Senichi, Unicorn shugenja: no armor (TN10), wakizashi 3k2 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;6, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2 | Spell Slots: F3/A2/W3/E2
    • Saburo: 3E/3W/1F/1A/1V | TN5, DR 1k1 | Hn 2;5 - Gl 0;0 - Wds (6) 0;0 | Void Pts 1/1
  • Mirumoto Koga, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN15), daisho 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Mirumoto Aiko, Dragon bushi: no armor+daisho (TN25), daisho 6k3 (DR 4k2) | Honor 2;7, Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2
  • Yoshida Osaru, ronin: no armor (TN15), katana 6k3 (DR 5k2) | Honor 2;5 Wounds (4) 0;0 | Void Pts 2/2

GreyWolfVT

#94 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Starbeard wrote:Image

Koga and Osaru (unless he says otherwise) will travel together as another party, accompanied by Assistant Harada.
Osaru does not say otherwise this works for him.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Starbeard »

Return to “Roleplaying in the Emerald Empire (L5R)”