Alright, first things first.

We need you to roll 3d6 "in order" for each of the stats. The stats are:
STRength:
AGIlity:
STAmina:
PERsonality:
INTelligence:
LUcK:

You can swap one pair of these to try to get the character you want to play.

We then need you to roll some dice about things related to your background...

For Birth Augur/"Lucky Roll", roll d30 (this might need to get re-rolled, since we're not doing level 0 stuff, and there are no clerics, etc)

Determine place of origin: d8

Determine Benison (which is an advantage): d20+luck mod
Determine Doom (which is a disadvantage): d20+luck mod

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Enoch character creation thread

#2 Post by Enoch »

STRength: STR: [3d6] = 7
AGIlity: AGI: [3d6] = 9
STAmina: STA: [3d6] = 14
PERsonality: PER: [3d6] = 13
INTelligence: INT: [3d6] = 14
LUcK: LUK: [3d6] = 16

I will probably want to swap one of these to boost my AGI a little; I'm just not sure which yet. I rolled really well, with the exception of STR and AGI. Right now I'm leaning toward swapping AGI and STA.
We then need you to roll some dice about things related to your background...

For Birth Augur/"Lucky Roll", roll d30 (this might need to get re-rolled, since we're not doing level 0 stuff, and there are no clerics, etc)
Birth Augur: [1d30] = 24
Determine place of origin: d8
Place of Origin: [1d8] = 7
Determine Benison (which is an advantage): d20+luck mod
Determine Doom (which is a disadvantage): d20+luck mod
Benison/Doom: [1d30+2] = 11+2 = 13
Benison/Doom: [1d30+2] = 14+2 = 16
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by Enoch »

Looking at those rolls, they're obviously well above average. I didn't create multiple characters until I got a set of rolls I liked, but I suppose I could have, and as far as I know you wouldn't know the difference. I'm happy to re-roll, or have the GM generate a set of stats if that's what's decided.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by drpete »

The good thing about the dice roller is that we can see that your rolls are legit, so no worries.

Going through your rolls, I see that your lucky sign in "Warrior's Arm", and your rolls on the critical hit table will benefit from a +2.

You are from the Eastern Lands, which is roughly similar to the Middle East of earth, both with a big, exotic city, and lots of desert nomad tribes. You might want to think about which you are from.

For a boon, you get a magical scroll. I'll work that out for you.

For a doom, you have that you are a eunuch... you either committed a crime worthy of that punishment, served as a harem guard, or something similar, and are now unable to sire children.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Enoch »

I think I will swap AGI and PER (13 AGI, 9 PER). That lucky sign is nice--I suspect a lot of my damage in combat will be front-loaded from backstabs, because a 7 STR is not incredible. I'll look at the Eastern Lands; the idea of being a eunuch sounds like great fodder for roleplaying.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by drpete »

Here's a little blurb about the Eastern Lands:

Continuing our journey, we cross the Sea of the East to the Eastern Lands on its far shore. The River Tilth empties into the Sea of the East and marks the westernmost verge of a massive desert. This arid land is the Great Eastern Desert and home to the empire of the King of Kings, perhaps the greatest potentate in Nehwon—or at least to those under his dominion. The capital of his empire is the citadel-city of Horborixen, second only to Lankhmar in size and splendor. There the King of Kings rules his demesne from his gilded court, surrounded by his wives, concubines, ministers, and devoted assassins.

Easterner is a broad term for any native of Horborixen and its subject cities as well as the various tribesmen from the arid desert lands beyond the River Tilth. Easterners are a more homogenized culture than those of the Inner Sea region, seldom intermarrying outside their own people. Easterners are therefore usually tan or ruddy in complexion and nearly always have dark hair and eyes. Their culture, customs, and architecture somewhat resembles that of the Earth’s Middle East and arabesque flourishes and motifs are prevalent in the Eastern Lands. Easterners respect both skill in battle and in trade and it’s common to find steely-eyed assassins lounging with fat merchants in the kasbahs of Eastern cities. Easterners venerate a multitude of gods and spirits, some of whom make their way to the Street of the Gods in Lankhmar via wild-eyed desert holy men and women.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by drpete »

Understanding that you're planning to play a thief...

You'll need to *pick* which thief progression you would like to use. In base DCC, these are based on alignment, but you may choose either the Path of the Boss, the Path of the Assassin, or the Path of the Swindler, and get the corresponding skill progression, since there is no alignment here.

I will also need you to roll a d100 for an intriguing item.

And we need to determine your starting languages. You start with Low Lankhmarese and the tongue of your homeland. You'll need to choose between Horborixic (the language of the city) and Desert-Talk (the language of the nomads). For your bonus language, please roll a d6.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#8 Post by Enoch »

I think I'll go with Path of the Boss. I think he was chosen as a eunuch at a young age and probably grew up in the palace of the King of Kings, though I'm still working on why he is no longer there (some sordid backstory, no doubt; he probably fled just ahead of the sultan's guards.) That would make his thief skills:
  • Backstab +0
  • Sneak Silently +4
  • Hide in Shadows +2
  • Pick Pocket +4
  • Climb Sheer Surfaces +4
  • Pick Lock +2
  • Find Trap +2
  • Disable Trap +2
  • Forge Document +4
  • Disguise Self +1
  • Read Languages +1
  • Handle Poison +0
  • Cast Spell from Scroll d12+1
I'll take Horborixic as his homeland language, given his background.

Intriguing Item: [1d100] = 48

Bonus Language: [1d6] = 5

Swindler looks like a good match for an ex-courtier, but I'm concerned that those skills don't seem to match up well with traditional dungeon-delving.

EDIT: Skills updated to use Path of the Swindler.
Last edited by Enoch on Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by drpete »

Well, this will be a "city" campaign, rather than a dungeon campaign... right now, the players are making their way out of an imprisonment, but I expect a mix of things once they get out... possibly increasing with gangs, the thieves guild, etc, in the world at large. There will probably be some breaking and entering and such, but it'll be far from a mega dungeon type campaign. That said, go with whatever you think might be more fun. Breaking into things will naturally be relevant!

Your bonus language is Northspeak, which should be very convenient, since its the only language everyone in the party speaks!

For some reason, you have a single bronze horse shoe. Wonder what that is about.

Beyond that

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#10 Post by Enoch »

Path of the Swindler it is, then! Besides, burning Luck is what a Thief is for.

EDIT: I've updated the skills in the post above; I *think* they are correct, but I'll double check when I'm not on a phone.
EDIT: They're correct now. I was off by 1 on Disguise Self.

I don't know why he has a bronze horseshoe, but I know what he tells people who ask.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by drpete »

Alright...

Next we need to take care of hp and money.

For hp, it's the sum of the level 0 d4 and the level 1 d6, with bonus from stamina for each. I gave everyone full hp for the d4, so that means you get d6+6 hp, I think.

For gold, you get 3d10 gp, and you can buy equipment, as normal.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#12 Post by Enoch »

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Enoch »

Equipment
  • dagger (2) (6gp)
  • padded armor (5 gp)
  • backpack (2 gp)
  • waterskin (5 sp)
  • rope, 50' (25 cp)
  • oil flask (2 sp)
  • iron spikes (4) (8 sp)
  • garotte (2 gp)
  • bronze horseshoe
  • scroll
8 sp, 5 cp

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by drpete »

Alright, let's figure out your scroll...

Scroll: [1d100] = 93[1d100] = 11[1d12] = 6

1d4 level 1 spells, 1 level 2, 1 level 3
Spell check must be made by the reader, at his normal result
Signed with the sigil of a Wizard's Conclave. Clearly this scroll was intended for their use.

Number level 1 spells: [1d4] = 4

Wow!

1st level spells: [1d27] = 9[1d27] = 7[1d27] = 2[1d27] = 20

Ekim's Mystical Mask
Comphrehend Languages
Cantrip
Read Magic

2nd:[1d24] = 9 3rd:[1d24] = 22

Knock
Water Breathing

Huh! Seems like a pretty comprehensive utility spell list ... ?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Enoch »

Man, I'm glad I went with Swindler! A clever thief could go far with this. I wonder if he was exiled because he was believed to have stolen this scroll, but not executed because there was no proof.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by drpete »

It may not come up, but I think it makes sense, given the fact that it's a marked (and presumably stolen) scroll, that the Conclave has a presence here in Lankhmar. Should word get out that you've got their scroll, this may be a problem for you.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Enoch »

Awesome.

Return to “DrPete's Lankhmar Game (DCC)”