Interlude 7: Rolling in cash

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Interlude 7: Rolling in cash

#61 Post by barkman »

I'm sending someone to present him with a note with some terms, talking to him about safety before bringing anything to him. The note will mention that I may have found what he was looking for.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

"A prince of spiders or a princess? Certainly their spider was huge, with fangs like large daggers. Can you combat their venom at all? If we go back I mean, Miss Solaine here and Bro Galen, I 'm sure they hope to carry on their investigations. I am always willing to help the church authorities out if I can, the Termax heresy should be snuffed out not left to simmer tension or uproar. Is there another question we need to ask of the Oracle?"

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by drpete »

Randolpho receives a letter back from Janus. It says:

"I'm interested. No tricks. Let's talk."

You recognize that he is interested in hearing your pitch. What do you want to present to him?
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by drpete »

The priestess shakes her head "A 'prince' according to lore and his followers, not a princess. Spider venom is extremely dangerous. I strongly advise you to be cautious when dealing with them. Especially giant spiders, the accursed family of the Spider Prince."

When Quinn mentions his desire to help the Church, Morna looks at him closely. "I see that you have stumbled upon some fortune, sir, good and ill. Are you a member of our church? Would you like to express your appreciation for all that fate has ... bestowed on you? Are you happy with the way fortunes dice have fallen for you? Do you wis to pledge yourself to be Fate's agent?" She winks at Quinn when she says this last bit.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by Dogma »

drpete wrote: Ranulf, are you looking for love, looking for adventure or just out to get drunk?
Yes

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Stirling »

Quinn
Do you wish to pledge yourself to be Fate's agent?"
"Yes I stumbled and with this leg, stumble still. Do I fight with luck or skill? rubbing his chin,I have never been too competent with either. I was schooled in religion on the Gloris frontier though in truth we took little notice of the ordained church. I get by I suppose, does Fate offer me an opportunity to do more than 'get by'? Several times in the Dwimmermounts' dark recesses I have found myself grateful for the arrow that failed to land or the poison that did not take hold. For the smiting of a hammer to injure my leg and my pride but not my resolve. What kind of offering sates the desires of Fates' whims. 'The wind blows where it pleases, you cannot tell where it comes from or whence it goes but you feel its' effect.'

Quinn quotes a chapel proverb he may have learned in his youth. Maybe his desire to explore and adventure is part of that inner vacuum of purpose he seeks to find he thinks. "Your pardon, Matriach Morna, my friends and I gave thought that I could find healing for my leg within these walls, I don't wish to act in duplicity and vow allegiance to fate in exchange for restoration. I would be happy of course to make a restitution in gold to have my body healed, my covenant to follow where Fate would purpose to breathe her wind should be free of clause or condition."

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Zorroroaster »

Dogma wrote:Yes
Classic Ranulf. :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by drpete »

Morna smiles slyly at Quinn, considering his request for aid. Her eyes twinkle at a private amusement.
"Sometimes, we don't know what fate has in store for us, or what we should do at any given moment. When faced with these moments, we teach our faithful to take a coin... like this..." She holds up a gold crown. "And toss it in the air, like this... and catch it." She grabs the coin from the air, and slaps it down on the back of her other hand.

She smiles at Quinn "Would you trust your life to the flip of a coin...?" She peeks at the coin, then shrugs and winks.

"We can fix your leg, I think. But we are a Temple, not a Hospital. A donation to help with the maintenance of the Temple, commensurate with your ability to give, would be appreciated. Give what you think it would be worth it to you to have your wound healed, and I'm sure Tyche will smile upon your sacrifice."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by drpete »

Meanwhile, Ranulf is out drinking and looking for adventure and love.

He starts out checking out the Jade Flower, which has some live music, some friendly girls and a bunch of tough looking caravan guards and such. After buying a couple of rounds of drinks, and getting everyone to sing a few rounds of lively drinking songs, Ranulf gets the feeling that this place is played out and for tourists. He gets into a conversation with a 14 year old "kid" hanging around the bar. The kid tells him about a much cooler place, down near the docks, where the girls aren't just trying to tease the money out of you, and where he might be able to score some lotus. He suggests bringing a dagger, in case of trouble, but you won't be let in with your full adventuring harness.

This seems like a great idea...

Mark off 30 gp, and get ready for something ... interesting :)

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by barkman »

Randolpho will meet him at a tavern that is typically a quiet location wizards will gather. Speaking to him, I will talk about what we found in Dwimmermount, specifically about the room with the crack and the liquid. If I can get any of the samples from someone else that they grabbed, I will share with him, see if it is the lunar emissions he is looking for.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

"I have a fat purse of gold, though Tyche can foresee my colleagues and I hope to cash in a variety of trove we recovered from foes who assaulted us. It would be deceiving to say I give my all knowing a fatter purse comes my way. Perhaps I should take a day free of revelry and Adamas' sights to seek how Fate my wish to lay my path. Maybe in the calm and silence of the midnight hours I would hear how I may serve as her (is Tyche a 'her'?'Soldier of Fortune'. Do you have any meditational rooms whereby I may seek such a solace?"

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf listens to the kid's spiel, and if this place wasn't so damn boring, and if he hadn't already had several drinks, and if the girls had been a bit more friendly, he probably would of told him to piss off. But instead he finished his drink in several large gulps and takes him up on the offer, "Lead the way kid. This place sounds like just what I'm looking for."

A poor decision made with poor judgement? Only time will tell....

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by drpete »

Randolpho:

You meet Janus in a Coffee House. There are various intellectuals there, mostly sages, or aspiring sages. He hears your description of the crack and the liquid with obvious interest. Examining the small vial, he seems quite interested.

"This... this isn't what I was looking for, but it... this is very interesting. I think. It will take a bit of study, but I think you've found something extremely powerful. There's more of this...? I will happily pay you for it. This amount here... I'll give you 25 gp for, and similarly for as much as you can find." he examines the pint-sized flask. "Unless I'm mistaken, this 'tar' is Azoth, the essence of magic."

Quinn:

She takes your comments as a desire to meditate in a cell. She nods serenely to you, then picks up a small bell and rings it. When an acolyte answers the summons, she directs her to take you for a bath, and to take care of you.

The pretty young acolyte brings you first to a room with a big pool. She directs you to a small stall, then asks you to remove your clothes and enter the pool. There are other young ladies hanging around the room, talking in low tones. They seem to be attendants at this bath. It seems clear that the intention is that you leave all of your stuff in the stall and be bathed by them.

Ranulf:

The boy takes you through a maze of unfamiliar streets, leading you down toward the river. You pass butcher shops, smoke shops, and you are propositioned by various barely dressed ladies hanging out in doorways.

He leads you, ultimately, down a flight of stairs into a darkened basement. Here, in the candlelight, you see several men lounging against the wall, smoking from waterpipes. A man in another room seems to be playing a flute to a mysterious tune. The boy leads you past the smokers into the other room, where you find a room which is better lit, and whose walls are decorated with murals of vivid colors. A man with burn scars over half his face smiles gruesomely at you, and offers you a spot at his table. A naked woman takes your arm and leads you toward the chair.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

Quinn gives his leave to Solaine and the others present. At least they know where he is and that he may get the healing for his leg in due course.

Well he doubts he is going to be robbed in the church of all places, so will strip off his grubby masculine frame, telling any of the girls where and how he got this tattoo or that scar but will otherwise just relax in the hot bubbles (?) and try to focus on not letting several pretty and young nubile girls massaging his weary body get to him too much...

If it seems prudent he will ask about Matriach Morna and her duties here and within town, how did the acolytes choose their paths here, are there more 'agents of Fate' doing errands for Tyche. perhaps they could tell Quinn of some heroes past and present. What connection does Tyche have with the Dwimmermount, a specific chapel, an idol?

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#75 Post by barkman »

Randolpho will return thecflask to his pocket, and describe how we saw a broken pipe full of the flow in dwimmermount.
"We do have some other things we have recovered that register they are dweomered to the eyes of our Mage. We are interested in knowing more about the items, history, curses and the like, what it was created to help with. We could offer what is in flask, as well as discussed shipping more to you in return for services?"

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf allows himself to be lead to the awaiting chair. "The location leaves a bit to be desired, but the..ahem...decor...more than makes up for it. Ans the murals are nice too."

Being in a strange place, Ranulf will check out the room for any other exits, other patrons, or basically any other thing of note.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by drpete »

Randolpho:

Janus smiles humorlessly at Randolpho and pulls his hand away.

"How many magic items do you want to identify? I'll take care of a few for you... if you let me keep my favorite. Or if you pay me appropriately. Bring me 10 gallons of this stuff, and you've got a deal. I said it was interesting, but not in little dribs and drabs."

Quinn:

Quinn soaks in the bath with the acolytes. They seem unembarrassed by his nudity, and they clean him up well. At the end of the bath, he's given a loose, flowing robe to wear, and he is shown to a little meditation cell. There is a meal of greens and fruits, with a bit of bread waiting in the cell. The acolyte asks if there's anything else you need before she goes.

Morna, the high priestess of this temple, and senator of the city, is not around for this. It's been delegated to these attendants. Do you want to ask the girls questions, or do you want to finish up with the bath, meditating, etc, and meet again with Morna? For all intents and purposes, you'd be able to wander around, if you wanted to, as you are not under close guard. Your stuff, however, seems to have been taken away.

Ranulf

The man grins at you, and laughs somewhat menacingly. He waits for you to sit down, and nods as the girl slides into the chair beside you, and leans her body against you. Looking around, you see a few other men hanging around the room, but they have the look of toughs, thugs working for this man, rather than patrons.

The scarred man greets you "I hear that you're looking for a good time, and you have money to spend. Welcome to my home. Do you like Labinia?" he asks, indicating the naked woman beside you. "Are you a gambling man? What shall we play for... do you prefer games of skill, or luck?"

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#78 Post by barkman »

"I'm sure we could work something out, but we would need to retrieve and send you the 10 gallons on our next expedition. If you would agree to do the work ahead we would be more likely to return, using the powers of the items"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

Will ask the acolytes as he is being bathed, a few questions, about the history of Tyche, their own life in the service of the church. Has any one them thought of venturing further. He will say how brave Sister Solaine has begun to dedicate a chapel and perhaps one might feel they have the same frontier pioneering vocation.

After dressing in his gown, Quinn will look in a mirror to find how considerable more charismatic he appears after a clean bath and shave. Retreating to his room he will let the acolytes know that if Matriarch Morna wishes to ask him any further questions when she finishes her duties, he can discuss with her in the room or elsewhere if called.

Quinn presumes his stuff is being washed and cleansed of blood and sweat, so makes no appeal for them yet.

Are there guards and Templars around? Quinn will try to make a note of other folk who seem to act with authority in the place, anyone being called, Sir, Mi'Lord, your honour, etc.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#80 Post by kalstone »

Having seen to Quinn's recovery, Solaine goes over to the Temple of Mavors. She donates 500 gp to the temple and spends 200 gp carousing with the City Guardsmen.

I'm waiting to see how much Quinn's healing costs before adding gold to my character sheet. Solaine is +1200gp and -700gp as of now.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”