01: The Heart of the Living Beast (Rukellian)

Fulci
GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

Re: 01: The Heart of the Living Beast (Rukellian)

#41 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Max thinking more then saying it aloud "Not tired just perhaps thinking too quickly. Likely our best action lies in resealing the area. To prevent this from happening once more."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Fulci »

======================================================
3/6/2117 - 21:20
Characters: Lawrence (Rukellian), Max Rokossovsky (GreyWolfVT)

Lawrence reasons that sealing this one ventilation outlet is a solution. It will throw the air supply of the Hydroponics out of balance, but will defend the Vault against further intrusions. For the time being. But he also understands that Max is right: this is just a half-measure.

"I... I'm not sure going out is a good idea," says Mario, surprisingly bleakly. Looks like Mario is one of the Vault Dwellers, who are, frankly, quite afraid of whatever might be on the surface.
Then the usual hint of puns and playfulness returns to his voice: "We have a sack of meat to move to the butcher's..." he says, meaning the molerat corpse.

When the Dwellers are ready with their investigation and conversation, they transport the dead beast to the laboratory. Mario resumes his security routine.
"Okay, go and get Doc Barnes while I prepare this place for the dissection," says Alex Rokossovsky.
G A M E S :
Running Vaults & Wastelands [Fallout]
Isaiah Bartlett in That Which Should Not Be [CoC]
Ingrid Esthof in The Horror at Briarsgate [1e]
Jónas Gillman in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh [1e]

I N A C T I V E : (
Ballar Uh in Dungeonesque [LL/AEC]
Favrick in The Rise of Smaug [BW]

GreyWolfVT

#43 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Max "right away father." he says in reply to his dad. Turning to reply to the odd Mario "I guess that will taste better than our usual pastes. Hey and at least we already tenderized it." then heads off to get Doc. Barnes.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Rukellian »

3/6/2117 - 21:20

After helping carry the dead creature to the Maintenance Lab, Lawrence will pull off his gloves and post an update on the terminal. He makes note that the extinguisher needs refilling/replacement and that the water supply in the Hydroponics Lab needs replacing. This part of his night is routine, though he would normally save it for when he finishes his check up of the vault. When finishing his quick blur of keystrokes, the mechanic stands up from his chair and approaches the table holding the overgrown mole rat. He says to his boss while keeping his eyes on the creature,

"Do you think I will be needed for the inspection? I'm no doctor in training like Quincy and I do have to get to doing my vault inspection..." Lawrence points towards behind him with an over the shoulder thumb gesture. "I... I understand that there has been something going on lately, lots of paranoia about things being kept secret. If this is one of those things, I will just keep my nose clean?" Lawrence ends this statement, hesitantly, as a question. He is not sure how to approach the subject, not being one to talk about rumors or even spreading them. And tonight, his boss has been quite open to him, much more than any other day he can think of readily.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 21:25

GreyWolfVT wrote:Turning to reply to the odd Mario "I guess that will taste better than our usual pastes. Hey and at least we already tenderized it."
"Thanks, I'll stick to Soylent Green, it's 100% molerat-free."

"I don't think this meat is fit for human consumption," says Alex Rokossovsky very seriously - his son's joke is totally lost on him.
Rukellian wrote:"Do you think I will be needed for the inspection? I'm no doctor in training like Quincy and I do have to get to doing my vault inspection..." Lawrence points towards behind him with an over the shoulder thumb gesture. "I... I understand that there has been something going on lately, lots of paranoia about things being kept secret. If this is one of those things, I will just keep my nose clean?" Lawrence ends this statement, hesitantly, as a question. He is not sure how to approach the subject, not being one to talk about rumors or even spreading them. And tonight, his boss has been quite open to him, much more than any other day he can think of readily.
"Dr. Munro is bent on keeping all these things a secret. That's her policy," Rokossovsky's trip of honesty continues. "But all in all, she keeps things in order as well. Do you ever wonder how we survived all these years down here in the Vault? How we never ran out of supplies? It's because Dr. Munro and her predecessors were very good. Even Lorca, up until his death." Lawrence knows that Lorca was the previous Vault Overseer, who died a good 20 years ago. "They ran the Vault by schedule. Effective - yes. Boring - hell yes... You know the systems we depend on. They are fragile. Any small malfunction can throw them out of balance. Well, for Dr. Munro... I don't even know how to put this. For her the minds, the collective consciousness of the Vault Dwellers is a system as well."

Rokossovsky takes out a set of surgical knives from a drawer and places them next to the molerat.

"I don't want mass hysteria. I don't. But... I just don't know anymore."

GreyWolf, if you want Max to be present during this conversation, he can be.
G A M E S :

GreyWolfVT

#46 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Max will stick around until that speech is done then head off to get the doctor.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rukellian »

3/6/2117 - 21:25

Lawrence cannot help but notice the struggle that his boss must be going through, whatever is going on his head, whatever it is that he knows, that no one else can know about too, it is clearly eating away at him. The mechanic wants to help, but does not know what words to say, how to say them, if he should say anything at all. He stands there for a moment of silence and stares at the creature as Alex prepares the table for surgery.

"No, I don't think anyone wants to see mass hysteria. And if the collective mind of the vault's residents is a well-maintained system, then I have no complaints as to how it has been maintained. The Overseer and her predecessor has done an excellent job. The fact that we have lasted this long underground is proof enough. I am grateful, and I think everyone else as well, for the hard work that takes place in the background, some of us just have a hard time showing it, and other still were born curious."

Lawrence pauses again. This time taking a seat. He wants to say more, but his mind is screaming don't. 'I've never been good with words when it matters, not like Victoria. If I say something wrong now... screw it, it needs to be said. Now may be my only chance.' He waits for Max to leave before he begins speaking again, not wanting to drag his friend down with him.

Lawrence speaks.

"Put simply, we are essentially a pressure cooker, and the lid has been fastened shut. The steam and pressure inside the cooker cannot escape, and if this continues, the food will overcook, become damaged, and when the pressure cooker is finally opened, the burst of steam will scald the user. Timing is everything. If the vault is a pressure cooker and we are the contents, then the steam and pressures within is our anxiety and curiosity. There are many who crave to learn more about their world, not just what is allowed within the confines of the vault, myself included. Though I may not speak out about it, it would do me no good to deny it either.

"Many of man's past achievements revolve around gaining a better understanding of how things work. Through learning and experience we have, as a race, achieved mastery over our environments, developed new technologies and forged relations with those who carry different beliefs and ideas. We came together as a people and formed nations, formed friendships, and... well, you get the point. Our great grandparents and those before them, they lived in a world full of life and excitement. They had the freedom to expand their knowledge, experience new things, mentally, physically, socially. Sure there were many obstacles in the process, many threats and dangers that sometimes could not be avoided, but that will always be the case when given such great privilege, the freedom to evolve as a human being.

"We, the second generation of this vault, and perhaps the third as well, have been trapped in an age of stagnation. The libraries have been exhausted and we all grow restless now at times. We crave the chance to learn again, to be human and experience the world once more. It doesn't have to happen immediately, or all at once. Even when opening a pressure cooker, the steam inside must be released gradually. And that is what needs to happen in our case, eventually. If we are to come to terms with what truly happened to the world above us, and eventually start rebuilding, we need to actually step out and see it for ourselves. It can be one or two people at first, certainly, and if they are able to spend, I don't know... just a few hours out there, and then return, the information learned in that single experience will prove valuable."

Speech Skill Check 20% [1d100] = 69

'Well, that certainly sounded better in my head. Perhaps the steam cooker analogy did not go over too well... At least it's been said.'

"S-sorry sir. I guess I've had too much time on my hands to think about it. Working nights all by yourself will do that to you haha..." an awkward laugh, the rubbing of the back of the neck, a penchant for honesty, Lawrence would never make it a politician. The mechanic is frozen to his chair now, his legs now paralyzed by his self-induced nervous state. For a moment, he forgets to breathe as he waits for the inevitable reply, the punishment to be carried out later. 'No amount of apologizing will get me out of this one... god why did I have to say all that?!'
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

GreyWolfVT

#48 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Max after his dad's speech and before Lawrence's heads to get the doctor.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 21:30

Lawrence

Rokossovsky listens to Lawrence, but seems to lose the thread halfway through the speech.

"Look, son," he starts slowly. "Your pressure cooker analogy has a flaw, though. Outside is no soup kitchen. Also, what spills out, might not get back into the pot, so to say. If a nice slice of jelly falls on the dirty floor, it becomes dirty as well. Not fit for eating alongside the, um, Vault Dwellers in the pressure cooker. Um... not fit for living with the others any longer.

Okay, why don't we forget about analogies for now.

So... You want to go out?"
he asks. There is no judgement in his voice. "Dr. Munro will never authorize it," he adds quickly. "Not now. Especially not now. The, so to say, exodus from the Vault must by done collectively, according to protocol---there's a Vault-Tec manual for it, you know? In multiple volumes. Of course, it's not in public access."

---

Max

Max hears Lawrence launching into a complicated speech, but he's already out of the lab. Probably about some maintenance issues. Max takes the elevator. He wanders how his friends are doing. Those wounds seemed serious... As the elevator door opens, he sees Zack passing through the corridor.
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rukellian »

Lawrence

Rokossovsky listens to Lawrence, but seems to lose the thread halfway through the speech.

"Look, son," he starts slowly. "Your pressure cooker analogy has a flaw, though. Outside is no soup kitchen. Also, what spills out, might not get back into the pot, so to say. If a nice slice of jelly falls on the dirty floor, it becomes dirty as well. Not fit for eating alongside the, um, Vault Dwellers in the pressure cooker. Um... not fit for living with the others any longer.

Okay, why don't we forget about analogies for now.

So... You want to go out?"
he asks. There is no judgement in his voice. "Dr. Munro will never authorize it," he adds quickly. "Not now. Especially not now. The, so to say, exodus from the Vault must by done collectively, according to protocol---there's a Vault-Tec manual for it, you know? In multiple volumes. Of course, it's not in public access."
"Heard and understood, sir. But if that is true, then we will never be ready for it, as a group. The over-protective nature of the vault has made sure of that..."

Lawrence looks away with a sullen look on his face. He knew better than to challenge the impossible, and got smacked down for it, like a child. With great self-control, the mechanic says the following without showing attitude, or tries to at that. "Will I be needed for the creature dissection, or can I continue my night's maintenance check of the vault? It won't do the vault any good if something else was overlooked tonight."

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Fulci »

Characters: Lawrence (Rukellian)

"You are right, Lawrence. The best you can do now is making sure everything runs smoothly in the Vault. Keep the system in balance."

Rokossovsky nods and starts putting down layers of plastic foil on the floor around the dissecting table. Better avoid those bloodstains.

Lawrence picks up his weighty toolbox and continues his maintenance check route - which was interrupted by the most peculiar events earlier. He's been on shift only for 90 minutes, yet he already had his views about authority, the Vault and the surface challenged. Snapping back into routine is hard! What was he about to do?..
  • Check the Maintenance terminal time stamps, but only after the midnight system back-up/re-set.
  • Replace Hydroponics fire extinguisher. This has to be done through Requisitions, so he can put in a request form (e44/C) tonight and then receive the actual item by next shift.
  • Continue standard maintenance route. He and Max fixed a few light units, but then were distracted by the molerat. Lawrence should pick up where he left off, at the Level 4 corridors, then move up to Level 3 and so on.
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rukellian »

Vault-Tec Systems - Facility 14 Termlink
<User Login- Lawrence>

ENTRY 3/6/2117 - 21:30

TO: [Requisition Office]

---ITEM REQUEST #e44/C:
Hydroponics Lab is short one extinguisher. Current unit is inoperable at this time and will need replacing.

Lawrence pauses for a moment after typing in the request entry. The gaping hole in the Lab's wall comes to mind and he wonders if he should patch it up now or later... 'Best wait for those orders to come.' The idea of sealing it up and having to tear it down again because someone wanted to check it out seems a bit silly to the mechanic. That and he doesn't want to anger anyone tonight, especially the overseer.

Sending the request form through the terminal, Lawrence grabs his equipment, takes one last look at the creature on the table, and then leaves. He has work to do and he doesn't feel like lingering around here, not after what happened. Before he leaves, Lawrence gives his boss a heads up on something. "If I find anything else during my rounds, something that is out of the ordinary, I will send you a quick PipBoy message. I figure you would want to stay informed of anything important as I find it. Umm, if you are awake to receive it that is."

Continuing where he left off, he will finish examining the Hydroponics Lab for anything else that may need his attention (faulty sprinklers, flickering lights, loose screws and bolts, the usual). Lawrence is looking forward to this routine work now, it will help take his mind off of things, hopefully.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by Fulci »

3/6/2117 - 21:35

The floor of Hydroponics is smeared with blood and extinguisher fluid in places - Lawrence wonders whether or not the Cleaning Division will have questions about this. Maybe Rokossovsky or someone from the Council will make sure a trusted man with a mop is assigned to this job. It's not of Lawrence's concern.

After tonight's events, he seeks comfort in handiwork. Going through the Hydroponics, checking everything. The new extinguisher will be delivered tomorrow, he will just have to hang it on the wall--------or maybe not! Lawrence notices, that when Victoria took the fire extinguisher, she yanked it with such force, that she tore out the fixtures as well.

Now this is a nice little job for Lawrence!

He takes the metal hook (that holds the fire extinguisher in place) and carefully hammers it back into shape. Then he examines the wall and learns that some drilling is required. He takes out his favorite power drill to make new holes for the fixture. Leaning in close to the wall, making sure the bore is perfectly perpendicular to the surface.

Lawrence switches on the drill. He feels the resonance building up in his hand, than in the wall. There is a short screeching, then the drill settles into place, and the sound is transformed into a steady, pulsating hum. The Vault's reinforced concrete probably has some specific structures inside, that amplify and modify the sound of the drilling; Lawrence wonders. Such an interesting problem! Building tectonics, architectural engineering, acoustics, all kinds of physics in a single bunch!

Then it suddenly dawns on him...
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rukellian »

'There is that hum again...'

Lawrence looks at his drill and thinks back upon the sound he heard waking up and what Max mentioned to him a while ago. It suddenly dawns on him what is happening, a grim realization. Just like how he created that humming sound in the wall using his handheld drill, so must something else be doing the same outside the vault. The sound he heard just now was greatly amplified, according to Max, on the first level of the vault, where the main vault door is. If the act of drilling into metal is the source of the amplified humming sounds heard in the walls of the vault, then...

The mechanic packs up his tools and runs back to the lab. Regardless of what mood his superior is in right now, Lawrence feels that he will want to hear about this in person.

A bit out of breath, not used to running like that in short spurts, Lawrence puts his toolbox down upon entering the lab and tells his boss of his sudden realization.

He explains the sounds of humming he and others have been hearing lately, what he had to do for the fire extinguisher fixture and how he thinks the two may be related. Lawrence even goes one step further, and boldly says the following, making sure to keep it in strong whisper.

"Some of us may want out, but there might also be those who want IN. If there is some large drill trying to crack through the front door of our vault, it would explain the humming in the walls, the sounds that occurred during Max's patrol of level one. And if my analysis of the situation is correct, this will clearly be a matter for security now, and the overseer will need to be told about this, especially if she wants to prevent 'mass hysteria' amongst the vault residents.

"That creature over there is bad news, what could potentially be happening right at our front door, that's even worse! If a creature of that size was able to break into our vault, that just goes to show how vulnerable and weakened our vault is becoming. It's showing its age. Yes, we can continue to maintain it, but if something or someone is actively trying to break it..."
Lawrence just shakes his head as he deliberately trails off the statement. The mechanic feels that he has thoroughly delivered his discovery, the point he was trying to make, intentionally not getting too heavy into the scientific jargon and physics based principles so as to not cause any more confusion.

Fulci
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Fulci »

Rokossovsky listens to Lawrence. The young mechanic picked the right strategy this time: no complex physics, no messy metaphors, just simple sentences.

"That... That is possible..." he finally squeezes out of himself a few words after a long pause. "After all, the Vault's walls are reinforced with all kinds of resonant materials, metals...

"Breaking through the wall even in the weakest spot requires very heavy machinery. Which would also mean that the villagers got their hands on a sufficient power sou-------"
Rokossovsky abruptly stops. "I mean... I'm not supposed to talk about this."
G A M E S :

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Rukellian »

Lawrence raises a hand up, showing that he understands the situation. "Then I will forget I heard that last part. If the overseer must know how such a conclusion was drawn, say it was your discovery. You know more about what is going on then I, and technically," the mechanic pauses for a moment, reassuring himself mentally that he is picking the right words, "I'm not supposed to even know what I'm referring to, yes... that sounds about right." Lawrence smiles.

"If questioned directly, I will just report everything tied to the creature's break-in, how I came across it, and the maintenance that followed afterwards. If you wish to mention me in any part of your report, I will leave that at your discretion. My previous opinions on the matter set aside, will this work for you, for the overseer?"

The others may be leaping forward with the kind Doctor Barnes and paving their way to the surface, but Lawrence will take a different approach and play it safe. As a warning to all, I WILL role play this cautionary stance to the best of my ability. ;)

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rukellian »

3/6/2117 - 23:00?

Lawrence exits the library and slowly walks through the school, closing the doors behind him. His ears were deaf to the world around him, his voice muted by the unbelievable weight he now felt on his shoulders. Barely able to keep his eyes focused on the path before him, he shudders in pain and clenches his chest with his free hand. It was all in his mind, and in his mind, a death row offender's last words seem to resonate, a feeling of walking to one's own execution.

'At the end of all of this, I may end up losing many friends... is that alright?'

The mechanic, he feels like he knows this is the right thing to do, and yet, a part of him feels betrayed by his own decision. All his life, he has tried his best to be on good terms with everyone, going out of his way to do favors and accept odd tasks that distracted from his main work. It was the satisfaction at first that he craved, wanting to be praised for his hard work. And even today, that is still partly true. Doesn't everyone wish the same for themselves every now and then? But now, these last few years, his goals shifted. Sure, it was nice to be recognized for his work, but at the end of the day, quite literally, all that mattered was that everyone in the vault continued to live a happy life, one free of concerns from a failing home. Lawrence gladly took up that role and always worked towards making the vault a better place.

'Don't kid yourself! This isn't why you are doing this. What, a professional mechanic's Hippocratic oath? There is no such thing and you know it. Quit trying to delude yourself. You aren't the vault's saint, you don't put everything else before yourself, no, you are acting selfish right now, you have been for a while now. You may try to hide it from the others, but I know Lawrence, I know why you want to stay behind. It's that girl, Heidi.'

The mental barrage is almost too much to take, the unspoken truth; it hurt to think about it, but it needed to be thought, never forgotten. And it is the truth, Lawrence, at some point, strayed from the selfless path that always won him praise. He chose to think about himself and what he truly wanted in this life, this isolated, dark, cold life of a vault dweller. He wanted companionship, plain and simple, something beyond a simple friendship, something that wasn't work-related. He wanted to fall in love, he wanted something to work for, something to dream of at night.

For a while, he thought he found what he was looking for in Victoria. For the longest time, she was the only one that took the time to 'deal' with him, engage in conversation even if he acted awkwardly and failed horribly at small chat. She put up with his antics, but in the end, it was only a one-sided love, a forever friend zone deal. Lawrence knew this, but he didn't want to accept it. He wanted to live in the delusion, to believe that there was still a chance for him. He wrote poetry, he made time for the occasional visit, and believe it or not, he even tried to ask her out on a date. Something always came up though, Quincy more often then not speaking on Victoria's behalf. She's busy with her studies, she has some work-related obligations to attend to, she is not feeling well. And never being the aggressive type, Lawrence always accepted these excuses, smiling weakly and feigning understanding to the young doctor. Lawrence knew about Quincy too, that Victoria was his, and he Victoria's.

It was during Lawrence's darkest moment, the lowest he has ever been, that she found him, and helped him back up. Heidi appeared on that fateful day and showed him a glimpse of what he has been blind to all along. On Valentine's day, Lawrence learned that there was someone who actually cared about him. Confused, bewildered by the situations he soon found himself in, Lawrence didn't know how to proceed. A lunch date, an invitation into the Hydroponics Lab, the secret night time rendezvous to the Community Area theatre, it all happened so fast, and during it all, HE was the one being pulled around. Heidi always seemed to take the lead.

The more he spent time with this girl, the more he understood that this is what fun felt like. He found it easy to talk with her about his interests, and surprisingly enough, he grew interested in the things she liked too. What was once awkward between the two slowly became natural. Lawrence didn't feel so lonely anymore. His cold furnace of a heart was reignited by Heidi's spark of life. He felt the warmth he was looking for, the feeling of belonging to someone else and vice versa. Lawrence could see a bright future himself, a life outside of the confines of the concrete vault, a birdcage he calls home. That bright future was with Heidi. He wanted this for himself, to keep this happiness alive and strong. He wanted her to be happy too, always, and if that meant staying by her side until the vault was ready to move to the surface, he would do just that, even if it meant watching his friends disappear from his life, even if it meant betraying his old life, his old self. And if the vault's walls crashed down on top of him, at least he would die a happy man.

'Yes. It would seem as if you've finally accepted your fate, the path that all of your choices have lead up to. Your mental resolve is the real deal, now the question is, does Heidi feel the same?'

A tear rolls down Lawrence's face. He didn't know. Closing his eyes, he wipes his face.

He looks up. The Overseer's door is in front of him now. He knocks on the door.

Return to “Vaults & Wastelands - Fallout PnP”