Interlude 2: Rest & Resupply & ... ?

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Interlude 2: Rest & Resupply & ... ?

#61 Post by bobloblah »

Brother Galen looks somewhat non-plussed at Torgyr's suggestion, but leans in to whisper, "The thought had occurred to me. Didn't we agree that hiring this thing as guard for the price of pigs was worth it? Ranulf, my boy, I'd appreciate you letting it know about this and future pigs, and then offer to have Fortune smile upon it's wound..."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#62 Post by kalstone »

Solaine agrees with Galen. "Make sure he understands that we agree that this area is his."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by drpete »

Ranulf speaks to the ape man, his language punctuated with grunts and huffs. As he talks, his hands motion toward the pig, which the ape man seems to respond well to. Then he says something else to the apeman, which seems to draw his attention to the group, and the ape man seems to get visibly agitated. It's hard to tell if things are going well. Ranulf looks back at the group, a little worried.

After a bit more back and forth, it's clear that *something* isn't working, and that apeman is getting upset and growing unfriendly. Thinking that perhaps discretion is the better part of valor, Ranulf backs away, giving way to the ape man. The ape man proceeds to grab up the pig and drag it up toward the tower.
Basically, this interaction is suffering from the fact that beastmen and humans are historical mortal enemies. The ape man doesn't trust you, even though you're offering it a pig, and possibly healing.

Using this: http://autarch.co/forums/ask-autarchs/r ... d-stacking
I determined that he was indifferent. Subsequent rolls, penalized by the "historical enemy" penalty (even taking into account the gift, etc) were tending to drag the relationship down, rather than improve it, and it moved down to neutral, then unfriendly (this was largely independent of the details of the modifiers, actually... the raw rolls were just low). You may need to find another angle if you want to keep trying to recruit the ape man.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#64 Post by Dogma »

apologies for being off for a bit...life and all that led to a busy weekend

"Sorry guys, big, hairy, and smelly there just isn't being to trusting at the moment. I think if has to do with his kind and our kind been killing each other for a few hundred years," says Ranulf. "I think if we keep bringing him the piggies and don't do anything hostile towards him he might come around eventually. At least enough to where he won't try to rip us apart and eat our innards."

A sudden thought crossed his mind,"Brother Galen, give me a bunch of that comfrey you have sitting in your pouch. Big hairy there won;t let us touch him, but he might know enough about woodcraft to know how to heal himself if he had the stuff."

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#65 Post by Lamech »

In town Steel will focus on several goals when not assisting the party with negotiations.
1) Buying new bolts for his crossbow.
2) Getting the spare time to build an automaton. If possible it would be ideal if he could drop the standard automaton abilities to increase the HD up to two. (That was what I meant for the original to be. I think there was some confusion. :(
3) Figuring out how much his share of the loot was, and getting it.

He will go assist with the demon ape negotiations.

Also 7gp deducted for living expenses.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by drpete »

Lamech wrote:In town Steel will focus on several goals when not assisting the party with negotiations.
1) Buying new bolts for his crossbow.
2) Getting the spare time to build an automaton. If possible it would be ideal if he could drop the standard automaton abilities to increase the HD up to two. (That was what I meant for the original to be. I think there was some confusion. :(
3) Figuring out how much his share of the loot was, and getting it.

He will go assist with the demon ape negotiations.

Also 7gp deducted for living expenses.
1) You currently have 9 boxes of 10 bolts. Going for an even 10 boxes? The box of bolts takes a day to make (which you had), and costs 1.8 gp.
2) There's really been no time, so far. You want the automaton to be vulnerable to poison and sleep and charm and such, is that right? I'm not sure how that would work, really... would it have a human wired into it somehow? You can "reduce" the special abilities it has by either a) having it require an operator (though if it can move under its own power, you need to give it a passenger space, so this is a wash), b) remove its ability to move under its own power (get a mule to pull it?) or c) removing its attacks.

It looks like it'll either need to be dragged by something, or be a non-combatant to get the 2HD for free.

3) There was no loot, really. Some folks might have taken some black skeleton bits, but none of them have been sold, yet, and the mask sale didn't really work out.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#67 Post by bobloblah »

Brother Galen will make up a comfrey poultice and bandages for the gigantape, then shows Ranulf how to mime putting it on the wound.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by drpete »

Galen makes a poultice, and Ranulf gets the apes attention, and tries to mime putting on the poultice.

The ape seems to understand, but roars at Ranulf. The ape tells Ranulf to bandage it, or else. The ape man seems to be threatening to club Ranulf if he doesn't help with the wound, now.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Zorroroaster »

"I've got a bad feeling about this..." Torgyr mutters to himself. He surreptitiously slides a bolt from its case, carefully eyeing the exchange between Ranulf and the ape man. He only moves when he sees the giant's attention focused elsewhere, as he brings the bolt close to his crossbow. He doesn't go as far as attempting to load his weapon, let alone crank back the action. He's content just to have a bolt close at hand in case things go poorly.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#70 Post by barkman »

Randolpho follows Torgyr's lead and quickly and silently palms a sling 'ball/stone/shot' into his hand to be ready to load and fire if things look they're going bad.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#71 Post by Dogma »

"Easy there, big guy,"Ranulf says (in beastman) to the ape man with more calm than he's feeling. "I'll come over and give you a hand...just put that big stick there down. We don't want your tower...we just want an understanding that this is yours and where we are..well that's ours."

He removes his sword and leaves his shield on the ground. Taking the poultice from Galen he says (in common), "No sudden moves now if you don't mind. Big hairy over there is a mite touchy and I don't feel like getting to know the hurting end of that club of his."

With the poultice in hand and arms spread wide, He slowly approaches the ape-man, "Easy does it. Just going to bandage up that leg and then we'll be on our way. Won't be back until we got another pig for you."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by drpete »

A sinking feeling passes through you all as the giant ape crouches down, bringing its face down to Ranulf's level. It exposes its wound to Ranulf, but doesn't let go of its club. The process of exposing itself to this treatment makes the ape somewhat vulnerable, and he looks ready to jump if something goes wrong.

To Ranulf, in beastial, he says "I killed the man who hurt my leg, he's up there" and nods up toward the tower, decorated with a severed head.

Watching from a distance, Galen can see that Ranulf is holding the poultice backwards as he moves in to press it on the ape's leg...

Obviously, Ranulf cannot actually use the poultice to heal the ape. Only Galen is able to do that.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by bobloblah »

drpete wrote:Obviously, Ranulf cannot actually use the poultice to heal the ape. Only Galen is able to do that.
Actually, had that been obvious, I wouldn't have pre-packaged a poultice and bandage, then sent him to die.

Brother Galen clears his throat, loudly, then speaks slowly and calmly "Pardon me, my boy, but that's the wrong way up. As the healer here, it probably makes the most sense for me to do that. Hopefully you can let our friend, there, know..." Galen begins shrugging off his pack, and carefully sets down his staff, "I can't imagine our friend here thinks me much of a threat, but just to be sure..." once Galen has set down his equipment, he stands with his arms raised, palms out, "I'm going to come over there to make sure that wound is properly cared for..." and then begins walking slowly towards the gigantape. As he gets close to Ranulf, he holds his hands out, palm up, waiting for the warrior to hand him the bandage and poultice. Once has them he will slowly and purposefully move towards the beast, applying the poultice, gently, "You'd best tell him there might be some stinging, but that will ease as it heals..."

[1d3] = 1
Why the Hell did it have to be a one?!

"My boy, you can tell him that I can heal it more fully, but that it will require the use of... magic."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by drpete »

Alright, fair enough... "it becomes apparent". Comfrey is a tool for characters with healing proficiency. You're right, I should have piped up with that before, sorry.

Galen moves forward to care for the giant ape. The ape at first seems apprehensive, but then Galen's gentle touch calms him. At one point, Galen looks up at the ape to see if the wound is stinging, and their eyes meet. Galen senses a gentleness under the harsh exterior of this giant ape, an almost human connection. After a moment, the ape man's muscles tense, he breaks eye contact and starts grunting and looking away, the moment gone.

After Galen offers to heal him with magic, the ape nods, winces, and braces himself, as if for something very painful.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#75 Post by bobloblah »

Brother Galen carefully kneels next to the enormous ape, holding his hands just above the creature's wounded leg, not actually touching it. He recites a simple litany to Tyche, calling for good fortune in the speedy recovery of the ape's wounds...

[1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by drpete »

The wound closes up, and the giant ape stops gritting his teeth. He checks at the wound spot, then looks at Galen, and you see him start to shake forward and back, excitedly.

The ape then gets up and grabs the pig again. In Bestial, he says "You bring more pigs to Nilus soon. You can pass my post freely." He then seems to want to move away with his pig toward his tower.

Lamech
Guide
Guide

#77 Post by Lamech »

Steel watches all this, rather tense. He thinks this has a very good chance of going badly. The ape talking and not stabbing does ease his tensions a little. Especially when the ape heads off.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”