Character Creation

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Character Creation

#62 Post by Dogma »

NJWilliam wrote:Jofrid assures Slim that it is indeed a wise investment, and that together with a recent "loan" he obtained from a dwarf (and that, unknown to the dwarf will pay excellent dividends), he can purchase the crossbow he had his eye on to better protect both of their "interests."

How is ammunition being handled, will there be a chance to retrieve used bolts, they are expensive, 30 for 10 gold!
We used to play that if the bolt/arrow hit its target it was retreivable, if it missed it was lost/broken from hitting a wall, etc.

I think I'll stick with that.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#63 Post by NJWilliam »

thirdkingdom wrote:Did you include the ten gp from Alastor?
No, but it would buy 30 more quarrels if still available.
Sebastian, A Candle in the Darkness
Ulrich, Tales of The Troll Company
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers
Hakon Geirmundarson, Pawns of the North Wind
Jameson Rowan, Silverband
Disston Symonds, Sigma Chronos

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by thirdkingdom »

Dogma, how are we going to handle levelling up? I have always played that you don't get XP until you return to civilization. As I recall, this is a fairly large adventure … thoughts?
I've been thinking about this too. In Basic D&D experience is given at the end of the adventure, and is a combination of treasure recovered (in gp) and a pittance of XP for killing things. (As an aside, I've always liked the idea that you only get XP for gold spent, not just recovered, but that won't really apply in this setting either.)

I think the easiest way would to just track XP and when a character gets enough to move up, they get the level. An "experience is the best teacher" sort of thing. I'll have to think a bit on the `1 gp = 1 XP' because that would mean you guys are carrying around a lot of gold.

The other idea I've been toying with for awarding XP is to do at at certain "milestones". It would be a bit arbitrary on my part as to what they are, but then it divorces it from the gold recovered. I also though about doing it by level of the dungeon reached, but I don't want to encourage a mad rush to find the way down to the next level.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I am open to ideas.

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#65 Post by NJWilliam »

Excellent, thank you.
Thief with crossbow ready to go.
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

NJWilliam
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by NJWilliam »

FYI, Jofrid can scout ahead at 120' movement if he carries his leather armor, and 90' if he wears it.

I am so much happier with a THIEF than a Rogue!
Alex Fiord, The Rescuers

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by max_vale »

AMEN....I know I'm a crusty old 36 year old; but every time I hear a D&D player say "Rogue" instead of "Thief" I want to pound them with a mallet.........and don't get me started on the word "Fey"..... UGH!

Ahem....sorry.....little rant just popped out there! :oops:

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#68 Post by Dogma »

(DOH!...somehow I managed to overwrite ThirdKingdom's post with my response about XP. Sorry.)

I've been thinking about this too. In Basic D&D experience is given at the end of the adventure, and is a combination of treasure recovered (in gp) and a pittance of XP for killing things. (As an aside, I've always liked the idea that you only get XP for gold spent, not just recovered, but that won't really apply in this setting either.)

I think the easiest way would to just track XP and when a character gets enough to move up, they get the level. An "experience is the best teacher" sort of thing. I'll have to think a bit on the `1 gp = 1 XP' because that would mean you guys are carrying around a lot of gold.

The other idea I've been toying with for awarding XP is to do at at certain "milestones". It would be a bit arbitrary on my part as to what they are, but then it divorces it from the gold recovered. I also though about doing it by level of the dungeon reached, but I don't want to encourage a mad rush to find the way down to the next level.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by thirdkingdom »

I ask because I am used to, especially at low levels, doing a fair amount of dungeon crawl until fully laden/too wounded, retreat to town to heal/gain XP/purchase better equipment, etc., repeat. This module doesn't really offer that ability and, when one considers the caverns underneath the pyramid (metagaming, I know), could probably take most of us from 1st to 3rd.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

Dogma wrote: I'll have to think a bit on the `1 gp = 1 XP' because that would mean you guys are carrying around a lot of gold.

Jewelry and gems, man. :) Consolidated gold!
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

riftstone
Ranger
Ranger

#71 Post by riftstone »

Wow, I missed a lot this morning! Nice RPing there!

I believe XP should be doled out when we are resting in a "safe area". We find a place to make our own, fortify it and make forays from it, always returning to rest, heal up, and gain spells.

However, I am fine with whatever ruling you like. I'm an easy elf... 8-)

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Dogma »

I have an idea on how I'm going to handle XP and leveling up. I don't want to say to much about it because it depends on how things go during the adventure, and I don't want to influence events. Suffice it to say that XP will be doled out based on Basic D&D guideline (1 gp = 1 xp, small amount for killing things or creatively dealing with a situation) and at some point leveling up will occur.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

If only we could get started...

<tap tap tap>

viewtopic.php?p=20746#p20746

;)

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#74 Post by Computer +1 »

Ahhhhhh message received!

Character complete pending review.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#75 Post by Alethan »

Computer +1 wrote:Ahhhhhh message received!

Character complete pending review.
:D

I've never been accused of beating around the bush...

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Dogma »

initial review the characters looks fine.

I'll need to add encumbrance to a few but we can start...

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by thirdkingdom »

No OOC thread yet, so I'll post here for now. I will be at a show from this Wednesday (the 7th) through Monday the 12th. I should have internet access on my phone but it will be difficult for me to roll. Also, I will have little time to post during the day. Dogma can roll for me as needed, to not slow anything up. If he is willing, of course.

Return to “B4 - The Lost City”