I. Athriel and Marshal

Das
Guide
Guide

I. Athriel and Marshal

#1 Post by Das »

Marshal leads Athriel east, towards the docks. The trip only takes a handful of minutes, but, aside from the random flyers posted about an upcoming auction for "abandoned" ships, there isn't an obvious place or person to engage about actually purchasing a boat.

After an hour or so of subtly continuing their search, they happen upon a dockhand who, after he finishes scraping some brambles off the side of a larger ship, takes a seat on the side of a pier and begins drinking. The pair approach him, and after the dockhand turns out to be friendly, they share with him their objective. "You ain't gonna get five people in a rowboat!" he laughs. "Maybe a jolly-boat," he says, "but you ain't gonna find one of them for sale unless you's a ship captain." He looks at the pair, shifting his gaze from Marshal to Athriel, and back again. "You ain't a captain, is you?" he asks, then burst into laughter. Turning serious, the dockhand leads the pair down the third pier from where they met and points to a tied off rowboat. "That there," he says, pointing at the dinghy, "is probably the best you're gonna do. It ain't fer sale, but I know the owner and could probably convince him to part wit' it... for the right price." he says, elbowing Athriel playfully in the ribs, but powerfully enough to cause his ribs to sting.

"Me thinks a hundred gold could pry away from the owner." he says.

The small boat, into which four people might be able to squeeze, looks well-maintained and in excellent shape.

---

Marshal sucked air through his teeth at the mention of the price. He rubbed his hand with the noble signet on it through his hair. "Well I do enjoy your candid attitude my good...man. But I can honestly say I don't think I would want to purchase a vessel without discussing it with the owner." He looked to his companion. "Perhaps we should simply rent the vessel for a time."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: I. Athriel and Marshal

#2 Post by dmw71 »

"Rent the boat, you say? There's risk there, you know, especially for inexperienced sailors." the dockhand says, considering the idea. "How long a rental are you talkin' 'bout?" he asks.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by ybn1197 »

Athriel looks at Marshal before turning to the dockhand. I would doubt it to be longer than a day's time but we would need to keep the time open."

Das
Guide
Guide

#4 Post by Das »

"If there is any delays in a respectable rental fee you can procure any debts from the Surefoot family. He blusters slightly throwing back his cloak with a flourish.

(Diplomacy +1. Just trying to get him to rent it to us)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

"I ain't never heard of no Surefoots," the dockhand sneers. "The fee to rent the boat, per night, will be fiv-- no, ten gold... payable up front." Watching as Marshal takes pride in tossing back his fancy cloak, he adds: "Surely, someone of your means can afford that."

"So, do we have a deal?"
he asks, extending his hand.

Rolls:
Marshal negotiates rental (12+): [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6
-- Project --
-- DM --

Das
Guide
Guide

#6 Post by Das »

You can literally see Marshal deflate as the man admits ignorance of his great family. He doesn't look at the mans hand nor takes it. He just rubbed his face in frustration and look apologetically towards Athriel. Than shrugs wordlessly. He even stepped away a bit...paced around. He really didn't want to spend the money on something that might not be actually useful nor did he seem to like this mans way of dealing.

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by ybn1197 »

Athriel was appalled at the man's impertinence; gouging them on the price of the boat. "Forgive my friend here. A little of the thespian in him. We will pay 5 gp a night and no more. That is a fortune to you as you are making no money at it sitting here in disuse."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by dmw71 »

The dockhand listens to Athriel, and shifts uncomfortably as he considers the ultimatum. All signs point to the pair losing their best chance to rent a boat when the dockhand shakes his head and turns to walk away... but suddenly stops and turns around. "Fine," he snaps. "Five gold a night, but I require payment up front... in full."

Marshal and Athriel secure a boat, which the dockhand agrees to leave secured to its current post at the dock.

---
Nicely done. (+200xp)

I'll just need confirmation of your acceptance, and also to know how many night you pay for.

Rolls:
Athriel's ultimatum (10+): [1d20+1] = 9+1 = 10
(I almost didn't lower the chance of success to a 10.)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Das
Guide
Guide

#9 Post by Das »

Marshal nods his thanks to his companion and as he digs out five gold coins from his pocket to get to the dockhand he motioned. "You sure you never heard of the Surefoots? Dwarven noble famil...oh nevermind. Thank you for your shrewd dealings. Your a good man. What is your name again? I don't think we ever actually made proper introductions. I am Marshal Surefoot."

(Would like to check if he lies about his name or if there is anything off about this social situation as though he might be trying to rent us a boat he ...doesn't have the ability to do so and is going to pocket the money or something. Sense Motive +0)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

"Aye," the dockhand starts, acknowledging Marshal's introduction. "I ain't never heard of no Surefoot's. Dwarf's ain't exactly the most seafaring folk, you know." he says. Marshal takes a moment to formulate a gut assessment of the social situation; to get a sense as to whether anything is "off" about the dockhand's behavior. Aside from the fact that he seems reluctant to disclose his name, Marshal but believes the situation to be on the level.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's Pathfinder Game”