chapter 1 : Shipwrecked!

Synthalus
smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

Re: chapter 1 : Shipwrecked!

#101 Post by smoke warrior »

Fenrir sets out at first light to find what is left of the dwarfs.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#102 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik would have the whole clan go to the dwarf clans aid but knows some should stay back and watch over the camp. Leaving a few of the level 1 fighters behind with Morag and whomever else wishes to remain behind. Horik himself goes with Fenrir to aid the dwarves. "I cannot stay behind every time I to would like to see the face of battle. Delwin clan Orcbane will be aided this day."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#103 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

The aid/recon party forms up for departure, lead by Horik and Delwin. Everyone checks and stows their gear one last time before sallying forth. It is a somewhat boring journey through the woods following Fenrir to the battlefield. After about an hour of hiking the party begins to smell the foul stench of burning flesh. it seems to be coming from the direction of the battlefield. The party hastens their travel to find out what is going on. Upon reaching the massive clearing at the base of Sundered Mountain where the battle took place the party makes a gruesome discovery. Roughly about 40-50 Dwarven soldiers are chopping up the remains of the dead goblins and feeding them into a great pyre in the center of the clearing. There appears to be hundreds of dead burning goblin on the pyre already and another couple hundred piled up being butchered. There are three Red and white tents at the base of the mountain where hundreds of dwarven bodies staked up on wooden ceremonial pyre trees. The dwarves near the tent seem to be chanting some kind of rite to the staked bodies and are about to set them ablaze as well. It is all very macabre and no one in Clan Volsung has ever seen a battlefield this big with so many dead before. Horik is taken aback at the shear slaughter that must have accured here. Delwin Orcbane motions a hand towards the tents and says.

" Those be what remains of me Clans war leaders and clerics. Its as good a place to start as any. Please allow me to speak with them before you approach. You my come with me just don't butt in until I give you the word to introduce yourselves. We Mountain Dwarves are a solitary people and you are the first outsiders we have seen in nearly 150 years. Since the fall of Stratlehiem keep. Please follow me.

Delwin waves a hand for the party to follow and leads them across the grisly battlefield still soaked in blood and gore. they approach the tents and four dwarven guards rush out to meet them. Delwin puts up his hand and they stand down.

" Wait here I shall return shortly. "
Attachments
Clan Orcbane.png
Clan Orcbane.png (9.75 KiB) Viewed 864 times
"that is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons death may die"

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#104 Post by Synthalus »

GM

The party my talk amongst themselves for the time being. Delwin Orcbane needs to confer with his elders before letting the Human foreigners aid his clan. I will post their response tomorrow night once I have had time to think about what they might say to him and think of the sudden arrival of human Vikings just after the epic battle for sundered mountain.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#105 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

Nearly an hour and a half goes by as Delwin converses with his kinsmen. Finally they seem to come to some kind of an agreement and Delwin approaches the party.

Delwin Orcbane

" It has been settled. My uncle Feldrick Orcbane will assume mantle of Sundered Mountain Stronghold and leader of our clan. He is the oldest and wisest left amongst our warriors and a prime candidate for Clan Chieftain. I have stepped down from my claim to the title so that you and your clan may have a place among ours. Do not worry about me, I am alive because of you and land and title are meaningless to the dead. Consider my life debt paid to you and yours King Horik.

Tonight we honor our dead and drink ale as the flames of the dwarven ceremonial pyres climb high into the night. You are welcome to join us this evening and meet some of my people. Tomorrow we travel to Sundered Stronghold where you will be given quarters of your own inside the city.

-H.P. Lovecraft

smoke warrior
Tracker
Tracker

#106 Post by smoke warrior »

"Thank you friend I would never turn down a feast with fellow warriors".

GreyWolfVT

#107 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik "I am honored. What of the viking temple we discovered and turned into a camp? I understand your home will be a great place for us but we should do something to ensure the temple is not taken over by these goblins if there be more of them alive around these parts. I'd like to offer my thanks on behalf of my clan. We may have saved you but you too and your clan have saved us as well. For we came here with naught but what you saw at our camp. It was more until we became shipwrecked. Perhaps we can build a village outside of the mountain. What do you think King Delwin? Or well what title shall I call you now that you've stepped down from the crown?"
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#108 Post by Synthalus »

LORD MARSHALL, DELWIN ORCSBANE

Delwin laughs a hearty laugh at the human kings concern for his peoples temple and says;

" Your Quarters in the Stronghold is merely a formality. You may stay in them as long as you like, hell you could make our stronghold a second home, but I mean no disrespect when I say this. You are not dwarves, our ways will be just as new to you as yours to us. It has been a long time since my people have shared meal with worthy humans of like mind and ideals. You will feel welcomed but alone at the same time i'm afraid. We have had a catastrophe strike us out of the blue and my people will be busy rebuilding their lives. I will send 10 Dwavern engineers and four of my finest warriors to your temple, to fortify it an then safe guard it from those that would destroy it.

Delwin motions to a group of his men that seemed to be awaiting his signal to approach.

"This is Dollo Helmcrusher fighter and trapper/furrier of much renown, Next is Gimund Sheildhearth Fighter and Mason/Carpenter also your lead engineer, then we have Ulbek Stromborn fighter and Blacksmith, and lastly I send with you Thongrim Mountainheart fighter, dwarven cultural advisor and Farmer/Tanner. They will be my liaisons to your temple camp as well as your estate in Sundered mountain stronghold. They will help you and your people establish yourselves at the base of our mountain. Now come we have much drinking and feasting to do well we get to know one another better and celebrate our honored dead!
Attachments
Dollo Helmcrusher.jpg
Dollo Helmcrusher.jpg (174.57 KiB) Viewed 849 times
Gimund Sheildhearth.jpg
Gimund Sheildhearth.jpg (117.18 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Ulbek Stromborn.jpg
Ulbek Stromborn.jpg (109.93 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Thongrim Mountainheart.jpg
Thongrim Mountainheart.jpg (149.62 KiB) Viewed 853 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#109 Post by Synthalus »

GM

The ten dwarven engineers are under the direct command of Thongrim Mountainheart. Thongrim reports directly to Delwin Orcbane but has standing orders to fall to King Horiks command well on assigned to him. The Engineers are considered 1st Level fighters when used in battle. They are a permanent addition to Clan Volsung's budding Village. They of course are free to travel to and from their homes in sundered mountain as they please but are assigned to King Horik and his people as an honor guard by Delwin for his assistance in saving his life and helping his people re-build. It is the first step of many in forming an alliance.

-H.P. Lovecraft

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#110 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

Two months Pass relatively quickly as dwarves and humans bond and forge friendships that will last a lifetime. The Dwarves of Sundered mountain prove themselves capable masons and carpenters and in no time there was a small village and fortified Longhouse/Temple built for the Humans of clan Volsung. A few small skirmishes happen during this time between the human/dwarf settlement and small bands of goblins but no man or dwarf were lost it the bouts. Delwin Orcsbane Visited on many occasion's and broke bread with King Horik and his men forming a bond that would no doubt lead both men to glory in the future. The humans of Volsung as the village would come to be known were given a great estate house within the gnomish quarter of the Sundered Mountain Stronghold. Surrounded by Uldra a type of mountain Gnome few men had ever seen or heard about before the humans created friends among them as well. The day came when Delwin asked King Horik for favor in return for favor.

" Mighty King Horik, my friend and ally. I have need of you and your men, and in return I will help you obtain what your people need most in order to flourish here on Stratlehiem. I ask that you help me rid my people of the foul goblin chieftain that inhabits the hills south of the river Forgewash. His ranks have been decimated and he has few in number to defend his goblin city. We could take it with but a dozen bold men that where strong of heart and brave of mind! In return I will aid you with men and dwarven built longships to raid the Viking settlements to the south and the west, to claim their women and plunder for your own. What say you Good King Horik?
Attachments
New map.png
New map.png (702.72 KiB) Viewed 843 times

-H.P. Lovecraft

GreyWolfVT

#111 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Horik smiles extends his hand in a warriors handshake "You have a deal my friend."

Synthalus
Ranger
Ranger

#112 Post by Synthalus »

NARRATOR

An with the Alliance formed between the Clans of Volsung and Orcsbane ends the first chapter of the campaign. I hope to see you all in the next Chapter of Vikings.

Delwin Orcsbane raises a toast in honor of his new brothers!

-H.P. Lovecraft

Return to “Viking Sand Box Adventure (1e)”