Session 24: The Search for Jerrod

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Session 24: The Search for Jerrod

#21 Post by Johnny Champion »

XP and Treasure for Session 23: The End of Piter

Total: 439,015 XP

Per Player: Groot and Nihil (-18,000 XP adj)
Groot 36877
Tungsten 60877
Lumiere 60877
Mooki 60877
Kaleb 60877
Faelwen 60877
Rickul 60877
Nihil 36877

Quests: 135,000 XP
Death of Piter 80000
Reputation, Grand Duchy 25000
Rescue of Jerrod 30000

Magic Items: 55,500 XP
Telum
Lightning Spears (5)
Lightning Arrows (20)

Treasure XP: 87,415 XP (See Spreadsheet for details)
Treasure Value: 174,829 GP (See Spreadsheet for details)

Foes Vanquished: 161,100 XP
Werewolves,
Beholders,
Drow, Elite
Drow, Mage
Mind Flayers
Water Elementals
Ragahak
Piter
Piter

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Agnati »

Bahahahaha. If it weren't for that rule where you can only go 1/4 into a new level's XP.... Rickul would be 16k away from lvl 20.
That's only about a week's worth of boar-killing!
And Lumiere is our first lvl 20 PC.
AND at level 20, her Divine Intervention now has a 100% chance of answer
"At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required."
This may be beneficial in dealing with our dear Kaleb's.... situation....
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

PCs that Died

#23 Post by Johnny Champion »

Deaths: Nihil and Groot were revivified. Kaleb was disintegrated and thus requires Resurrection.

Revivify: Lose random ability score: roll 1d6 (S,I,W,D,C,Ch), Requires 5,000gp Gem or Equivalent

Groot, Nihil

Resurrection: Lose (2) random ability scores: roll 2d6 (S,I,W,D,C,Ch), Requires 10,000gp Gem or Equivalent, Magical Item or priceless Item will help pay off *Nerull, god of the Dead. Loses level, must perform (2) System Shock Rolls (3d6 vs. Con). If either roll is equal to or higher than Con, then PC will not be able to return without divine intervention.

Kaleb: ** Nerull is not a fan of your party.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Jerrod Speaks and Piter's Scroll

#24 Post by Johnny Champion »

In the combined library/laboratory of Piter: The party finds a mysterious scroll; it is not a spell scroll, but etchings and markings denote an otherworldly origin. It must contain something vastly important if it is sealed in such a manner. Even Faelwen cannot open it with her magic, which is now almost unequaled in Caldaera.

Jerrod: After several hours of healing and recuperation, Jerrod begins to offer thanks to the party.

“Thank you my friends. May the power of Malazar, through the Helio Verum, save the Grand Duchy! All Praise.”

He speaks fondly to his Ranger brother of Nouveau, Rickul:
Norfeinne, in the ancient tongue, meaning Piercer of Dragons I will call you henceforth. When this is over, I will bring you forth to the Grand Assembly of Rangers of Nouveau, so your deeds will be counted among our most illustrious Rangers.”

To the Party at Large:
“You wonder why you have found me here, in the lair of Piter of Old. I was given a quest to which I could not provide details to even my father. But Elissa read my mind and knew that I was to locate the Mizaret."

This is his story:

Jerrod: "The Cloud King, Uhlathyon, though imposing and self-righteous, has no aim at the destruction of Weshphalia, or any other terrestrial kingdom. They care little of the affairs of man. But, knowing my friendship with other Cloud Giant clans, he requested my presence in his Hall, the Great Hall of Altus Fretus. He implored me of the urgency of their kingdom; to locate and return to him the Lost Altus Stone, the Mizaret of Core Obsidian, a magical fist-sized gem, crafted by the Torreans of legend in their great kingdoms of old. He requested of me silence, and his blue wizards spun a spell on me to guarantee my silence unless my life would be forfeit. Altum Fretus has only one more cycle before it falls back to earth, and the legendary kingdom of millennia will perish; a fate too tragic too ignore. I was instructed on the probable location of the Stone from their ancient sages of old. However, the means to acquire it, both magical and physical, were beyond my station. They left it upon my wisdom and knowledge of the Caldaera to determine if it is indeed where legend has spoken, and then to determine how to recover this relic and deliver to Uhlathyon. I was instructed to inform my father, and his court, only that I must travel to the City of Westdell to retrieve an item under the care of Ancient Order. Uhlathyon stated that the Stone’s location is guarded by Torrean magic that only a few may defeat. However, he failed to warn me that others were searching for the Stone; those whose purposes go much deeper than maintaining the flight of a magical cloud kingdom. As a disguise and misdirection, I had to lie to my father; I instructed him of the vast power and demands of the Cloud Giants as a rouse for this important task.

However, Elissa, the Dominion Mage, was able to read my thoughts. I had no choice but to confide some information to her. I could not tell her the exact nature of my quest. After several days I put my band of adventurers together, friends from a decade with whom have become like brothers. Days before my journey, Elissa returned to me in my chamber. She told me to seek the Oracle of Valtre, located near Lake Belaney. He alone in the Caldaera was familiar with Torrean magic. I trusted her. I fear that my trust was misgiven. Elissa, is a traitor."

More Jerrod:
"I fear that secrets that I was entrusted have been revealed to Piter while in my pitiful state. Now that he is dead, I hope that the secrets have departed along with his soul, though I am not certain. While I was conscious, I overheard Piter on multiple occasions. He had no problem in discussing his plans around me, assuming that I would be devoured soon enough by one of the Mind Flayers or his pet dragon outside the Keep. But Elissa sent me to this Oracle, but it became all to clear that the Oracle of Valtre was in fact the Piter of legend. Even the Mages of Esterik viewed him as legend. In regard to Elissa, I must warn my father!"

"In any case, there are other who claim the Stone"
Last edited by Johnny Champion on Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tungsten
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#25 Post by Tungsten »

Faelwen searches high and low for Piter's Spellbook. BTW.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Jerrod Speaks and Piter's Scroll

#26 Post by Agnati »

Johnny Champion wrote:Elissa, is a traitor."
Rickul, pointing his finger at Jerrod: "Totally called it. She had red eyes!"
(Also, what of the two sisters we rescued?)

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#27 Post by Johnny Champion »

Tungsten wrote:Tungsten comments " Let's be accurate: Elissa is a super hot traitor!!!"
For your viewing pleasure...I offer the image of Elissa, The Traitor.
elissa at Wesphalia.png
elissa at Wesphalia.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1403 times

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#28 Post by Johnny Champion »

Lightning Spears (5): Each has (4) charges remaining, +1 to hit and damage, piercing, on hit +3d6 Lightning damage, no ST. On hit, a lightning charge hits target and 1 charge depletes.

Lightning Arrows (20): Each has (1) Charge: +1 to hit and damage, piercing, on hit +3d6 Lightning damage and arrow loses ability, no ST. On miss, 1d4 chance of loss as normal.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#29 Post by Rhourk »

Agnati wrote:
Rhourk wrote:Dropping 4 saving throws in a row, by 1 point and blowing three straight death rolls is a humbling experience to be sure.
As encounters become more and more difficult, I think a Hero's feast is a necessity if we're all going to walk out of there alive in the future.
Sure, but resting will negate it, like last time. So it's fun for the first session, but can't be counted on for prolonged adventures, like the last one.

Agnati
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#30 Post by Agnati »

What's the status of the two sisters we rescued?

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Sisters

#31 Post by Johnny Champion »

You learn that their names are Elya (pronounced Ella) and Harcy. They and many from their village were captured by werewolves. Her parents are most likely consumed by the mind flayers of the Keep. After a recovery, they lead you to their village, and soon the party makes your way to the town of Belaney, a small fishing community at eastern shore of Lake Belaney.

Map: Lake Belaney and Surrounding
Mount Reynolds.png
Mount Reynolds.png (600.16 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Jerrod Speaks and Piter's Scroll

#32 Post by Johnny Champion »

Johnny Champion wrote:In the combined library/laboratory of Piter: The party finds a mysterious scroll; it is not a spell scroll, but etchings and markings denote an otherworldly origin. It must contain something vastly important if it is sealed in such a manner. Even Faelwen cannot open it with her magic, which is now almost unequaled in Caldaera.

:?

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: PCs that Died

#33 Post by Rhourk »

Johnny Champion wrote:Deaths: Nihil and Groot were revivified. Kaleb was disintegrated and thus requires Resurrection.

Revivify: Lose random ability score: roll 1d6 (S,I,W,D,C,Ch), Requires 5,000gp Gem or Equivalent

Groot, Nihil

Resurrection: Lose (2) random ability scores: roll 2d6 (S,I,W,D,C,Ch), Requires 10,000gp Gem or Equivalent, Magical Item or priceless Item will help pay off *Nerull, god of the Dead. Loses level, must perform (2) System Shock Rolls (3d6 vs. Con). If either roll is equal to or higher than Con, then PC will not be able to return without divine intervention.

What are the mechanics for the items of value affecting the roll. Brining back a PC without a body, requires true resurrection or wish, both are divine level powers right out of the box, requiring action of a Deity level power to execute. There is nowhere else to appeal if it fails. So I guess I am just a little confused. No one is praying to Nerull, and Kaleb's a Paladin of Malazr, so his soul isn't headed that way anyway. I can't think of another Paladin played so close to his Oaths and the Tenets of his Deity. I'll just do the rolls, and see what happens.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#34 Post by Rhourk »

OK, made the rolls he lost about 100K xp, 39 hps, 2 points of con. I can do the system shock on my own or we can wait till game night, your call.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: PCs that Died

#35 Post by Johnny Champion »

Rhourk wrote:
Johnny Champion wrote:Deaths: Nihil and Groot were revivified. Kaleb was disintegrated and thus requires Resurrection.

Groot, Nihil

What are the mechanics for the items of value affecting the roll. Brining back a PC without a body, requires true resurrection or wish, both are divine level powers right out of the box, requiring action of a Deity level power to execute. There is nowhere else to appeal if it fails. So I guess I am just a little confused. No one is praying to Nerull, and Kaleb's a Paladin of Malazr, so his soul isn't headed that way anyway. I can't think of another Paladin played so close to his Oaths and the Tenets of his Deity. I'll just do the rolls, and see what happens.
Souls are first claimed by Nerull, they drift towards the plane of their deity (Malazar) if he or one of his minions calls upon, which in Kaleb's situation would be the case. However, it is still through Nerull that these spell operate through, even a return from Malazar necessitates this action :)

A wish that alters reality or the direct action between gods may have a chance to return Kaleb if the ceremony and system shock fail. It seems that this is not the case though.

It is known that the Priests of Malazar and Telstoy recommend that these gift(s) be provided. This has become tradition but even the archons recommend this practice to guarantee the return.

End of theology lesson.

Johnny Champion
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#36 Post by Johnny Champion »

Rhourk wrote:OK, made the rolls he lost about 100K xp, 39 hps, 2 points of con. I can do the system shock on my own or we can wait till game night, your call.
Roll before hand. Regarding XP: He loses the amount of XP to bring him down to the 1.25 XP value of the reduced level. He then can add the XP from last session. He also gains 15,000 XP for the experience. This is what we did before.

Rhourk
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#37 Post by Rhourk »

Johnny Champion wrote:
Rhourk wrote:OK, made the rolls he lost about 100K xp, 39 hps, 2 points of con. I can do the system shock on my own or we can wait till game night, your call.
Roll before hand. Regarding XP: He loses the amount of XP to bring him down to the 1.25 XP value of the reduced level. He then can add the XP from last session. He also gains 15,000 XP for the experience. This is what we did before.

OK after I do the math he will be at current level +25% + 15k. SO a net loss of about 50k, not bitching just putting it out there so everyone will know. Also he will regain the lost level of hps but will still lose 18 from con loss. Doing the rolls now, officially. 3+2+2 = 7 , 6+3+3 = 12 , he is alive.

Return to “Black Obsidian: D&D Next”