OOC: Apocalypse Engine Rules & Monsterhearts Framework

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

Re: OOC: Apocalypse Engine Rules & Monsterhearts Framework

#41 Post by Q.Q Elf »

As far as there is a "good time" to make a move, the game is about carving out your own niche as well. I try to set up story and ways to turn things sideways, but they're should be as much "ah ha" moments for me from what you say as there is the other way, I think.

I will think about it.

Ok. Just read the Ghost again.

So you need to be actively tagging people with the blamed condition in order to forgive. You've got to be less nice of a hero, I guess...

Remember, the Ghost is about that psychic wound, the pain that lasts, and the scar that will never fade. Remember back to the times when you can't let go of pain, and bring that out.

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rukellian »

Q.Q Elf wrote:As far as there is a "good time" to make a move, the game is about carving out your own niche as well. I try to set up story and ways to turn things sideways, but they're should be as much "ah ha" moments for me from what you say as there is the other way, I think.

I will think about it.

Ok. Just read the Ghost again.

So you need to be actively tagging people with the blamed condition in order to forgive. You've got to be less nice of a hero, I guess...

Remember, the Ghost is about that psychic wound, the pain that lasts, and the scar that will never fade. Remember back to the times when you can't let go of pain, and bring that out.
We do have something to go off of in this regard. Vanessa knows about how he died and that he is a ghost. It would appear as if Clarence is in denial of his current state, however. He thinks he is still alive and that the hazy and blurry nightmare he had was just that, a nightmare (his nightmare is the recollection of his death, but with all dreams, it is easily forgotten and filed within his subconscious). He would be crazy to think himself actually dead. Being the sane person that he is, he wouldn't jump to such a conclusion so quickly, or easily for that matter.

We know something else as well, his death was caused by a tragic accident. Whether it was staged or preplanned by someone else remains to be clarified ;)

EDIT: I noticed your post changed while posting mine. Hmmm, less nice...

Well, he has placed blame on a lot of people already, but none of it is revolved around his death yet. He blames Mr. Finney for Vanessa's condition, he blames Marcus for Mrs. Meecher's condition, he blames Lucinda for the drug problem at school.
Last edited by Rukellian on Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Metal Fatigue
Guide
Guide

#43 Post by Metal Fatigue »

So clarify it. Clarify the heck out of it. :D

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#44 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Yes. Figure out what you think you want the story to be, and work the angles. It could be totally untrue in the end, but that shouldn't stop Clarence from blaming others for his pain. Why didn't they stop it? Why did they laugh? Why didn't they care?

Concentric circles of pain, radiating outward. I know you want to cure and to help, which is natural for a problem solving player. Lash out with the pain, though. The Chosen would have been a better masochistic problem solver... The Ghost is about the pain first. Then you lance the boil, and then you get to heal things.

Just my impressions anyway.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rukellian »

Q.Q Elf wrote:Yes. Figure out what you think you want the story to be, and work the angles. It could be totally untrue in the end, but that shouldn't stop Clarence from blaming others for his pain. Why didn't they stop it? Why did they laugh? Why didn't they care?

Concentric circles of pain, radiating outward. I know you want to cure and to help, which is natural for a problem solving player. Lash out with the pain, though. The Chosen would have been a better masochistic problem solver... The Ghost is about the pain first. Then you lance the boil, and then you get to heal things.

Just my impressions anyway.
Right. I guess I should start working on how my character died now ;) Give me some time. I might be able to finish it before I log for the day.
Even a child that receives one bit of praise has the ability to excel in a single talent, and those who receive regular encouragement can feel confidence, achieve success, and become leading members of society. Because they don’t believe they are worthless, they don’t need to raise a fist and have vengeance against fate or the world at large… ~Inspector Lunge

Rukellian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rukellian »

Okay, perhaps I need some clarification on the whole casting blame system in place for this game, considering my character is going to be using it a lot. When used on a pc, I'm guessing it requires a roll? What about regular npcs, a roll as well?

Edit: Does it have secondary effects like strings gained, lost, conditions put on, ect.?

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#47 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Rukellian wrote:Okay, perhaps I need some clarification on the whole casting blame system in place for this game, considering my character is going to be using it a lot. When used on a pc, I'm guessing it requires a roll? What about regular npcs, a roll as well?
The deal is this... When you pull a String on a character (PC or NPC) or slip them a condition, it should be a big deal. (Summer eats conditions for breakfast, so you use that lever at your own peril)

Both Strings and conditions make it easier for you to do stuff to those characters. It's as much of a big deal as punching them. It's power.

Typically, to gain this advantage, you need to roll +Dark. It's in the description for Unresolved Trauma. I may say Yes in rare instances, and forgo the roll, but the description says you need a tool to tag with blamed.

Once they are blamed, then go to town. Pull your moves on them and mess that character up! Or find a way to let go and forgive. That's all within your power.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#48 Post by Q.Q Elf »

If someone has a Condition, and you describe how your character is taking advantage of the condition dying a Move, then it's a+1 modifier to your roll. Boom. It doesn't go away like spending a String either, but it's more limited in some respects, and the bonuses aren't as great as a String.

So stick people with blamed. That's one of the driving forces of the Ghost! Blame them and go nuts until you let go of the pain.
There is only one real path: the river of fire. Everything else is an illusion. Trevor Faith, in Christopher Moeller's Faith Conquers

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#49 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Werewolf transformation... What are our limits?
  • any time? Only in moonlight? Only during full moon?
  • does it require Darkest Self?

MonkeyWrench
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by MonkeyWrench »

Well... I know, coming from the werewolf character and all but hear me out.

Lets first ask the big question, in this setting is being a werewolf a curse/blessing like in the old movies or is it a genetic trait? like in true blood or the originals?

Once that is answered I can see this being two ways, feel free to try and modify or "balance" my lists if you feel they need it.

If a curse/blessing:
1. Transformation is only at night, or at the full moon only
2. moonlight makes the transformation and werewolf in general stronger
3. is not controllable - mindless beast
4. can be cured through magical means perhaps? Also means it can be given by magical means
5. bite is infectious
6. has no memory of when transformed

If a genetic trait:
1. Takes control (adulthood) to not go crazy but is able to transform at will - day/night
2. moonlight makes the transformation and werewolf in general stronger
3. Is able to control actions with enough control (hold steady action probably when in intense situations)
4. either turned (bitten) or born as a werewolf - there is no cure, changes the DNA
5. goes into 4 but the bite is still infectious, or maybe it can work more like vampires? the bite is infectious and will kill anything not strong enough to withstand it (so probably anything but the undead, Ghosts/vampires/ghouls/etc) and in order to be turned one must drink the blood?
6. does retain memory of transformation
7. while able to transform at will, during the full moon the change is involuntary and not controllable - night of the hunt for werewolves

That is so far what I got, of course we can get further into it with weaknesses, like, what harms/kills a werewolf? This can probably be a good discussion for a few of the classes as well.
Edit: Although as I type all this it does kind of go against the game harm system...

If were going for a true supernatural theme then most the "skins" in this game have supernatural regeneration like the werewolf and vampire, maybe even the ghost and hollow? So it begs the question on what can really hurt them?

For werewolves I suppose the traditional, silver bullets and decapitation, maybe even large amounts of physical trauma like falling out of a very tall building?

For a Ghost probably burning their earthly remains (bones)? or an exorcism?

The hollow, chosen, infernal, witch, queen can probably all die through regular means... but if not, hmmm.....

Hollows are created by another person right? wishing them into being through intense emotions of depression or something? I haven't read the skin. So maybe they can be released by their makers? a certain key phrase or a certain level of humanity they need to reach in order for the hollow to not be needed?

I don't know on the rest, everything else seems pretty mortal, except for the Fae but Keehnelf hasn't been here in a bit so I'm not sure if he is still with us...
Life is a roller coaster, if you don't stop to enjoy it then you may as well not even ride.

Q.Q Elf
Ranger
Ranger

#51 Post by Q.Q Elf »

Keehnelf had to drop this one. So he's out.

The book says to discuss with others, buy I suspect that they don't care so much.

So, what will work best for your character and story? What you have written so far implies it's an inherited condition. That works for me. Down the line, we'll have to make the pack into something... But that's not needed at the moment

Darkest self implies the ability to change at any time under extreme stress. Some Werewolf moves require Darkest self to trigger... but otherwise, the fiction is wide open.

As far as being supernatural goes, all player characters have a card to escape death... Which is Darkest Self, or losing all your Strings on others. As foot healing Harm, every Skin is equal. If you make time to rest, you can cure 1 Harm (per "session"). If someone else "delicately and intimately" cares for your wounds, that also can cure 1 Harm.

The biggest deal with bring the Wolf is how the story is going to twist around you. People are going to freak out normally.

Since I am MC, and I'm equally happy with any story direction, I will work with whatever definition of Werewolf you like.

Return to “Monsterhearts: Against my better judgment”