Game Background and Maps

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Game Background and Maps

#1 Post by rredmond »

a1 module cover.JPG
a1 module cover.JPG (29.61 KiB) Viewed 2417 times
For several years, organized bands of pirates and slavers have made a living by raiding the coastal towns on the Sea of Gearnat. Ranging from Onnwal to the Wild Coast, they have descended quickly and ruthlessly on the small towns and villages, and carried off innocent citizens into the night. Although these marauders were not approved of by the lords and rulers of the lands they raided, they were allowed to continue their depredations. Feuding amongst the lords and lack of funds prevented all but an occasional naval battle with the villains and the slow fortification of towns. Bribery was often a more effective method of protecting one’s lands from the incursions of these avaricious seawolves.
Recently, however, the slavers’ attacks have become more frequent and vicious. Believing their prey to be weak and helpless, the raiders have burnt entire villages and pulled down the walk of towns. Women, children, and whole families have disappeared; and though bribes are accepted, the agreements are ignored. Vast tracts of coastline have been reduced to ashes, left barren except for packs of wild dogs.
The lords have finally become determined to take action, forgetting their petty squabbles to unite against the marauders of the yellow sails. Through information gained from escaped slaves, and those fortunate enough to have been found and bought by families or friends, the lords have traced the slavers to a port from which they launch their swift attacks on the coast - the despoiled city of Highport in wasted Pomarj. Some who have lost kin and fortune to the
reavers have advised taking a fleet and crushing the outpost, but cooler heads have prevailed. They have pointed out that such a base is undoubtedly well-defended and that the slavers, if alarmed, might arrange that loved ones and kin are never seen again. Instead, they have chosen a plan of stealth. Several bands of adventurers have been gathered together and will be sent to infiltrate the base and destroy the leaders of this evil band. Caution is recommended, for the true strength and extent of this slave ring is not known, but they seem to be stronger and better organized than encounters with their small raiding parties would indicate.
Highport was once a human city, but the land and town have been overrun by humanoids - orcs, goblins, kobolds, ogres, and gnolls. Looted, burned, and ill-kept, the city has become a base for human outcasts wishing to deal with these unsavory creatures. Your party, provided with transport, has managed to arrive in Highport and pose as one of these groups come to deal.
Your mission is to use the secret entrance (which location is provided to you by an escaped slave) and crush the organization by killing it's leaders, and freeing any slaves that you find.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Game Background and Maps

#2 Post by rredmond »

PLAYER'S MAP
Players Map.jpg
Players Map.jpg (120.8 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
The Temple in Highport is the headquarters for the Slavers, all reports would indicate. The main entrance is through well defended portcullises to the North. By all accounts the utility shed and stable entrances are well defended also. The whole city is filled with ruined, burnt buildings. The Temple is no exception though it shows signs of some upkeep. Obviously it was once a 3 story building, but the upper levels are collapsed by fire and war, but it seems the roof has been reinforced as you see patrols on the stone ramparts. At infrequent intervals guards will be seen patrolling the walls. From the secret door northward, the walls are 15' - 20' high, but the eastern part, which looks like the temple proper, starting about 30' west of the portcullis and including everything on that side, except the charred wooden areas (which I indicated) the walls are higher, around 35' high, and there are guards patrolling throughout. These will be humanoids or humans in small groups, apparently bored with their duties. At other times parties on foot or horseback will arrive at either the stable door or the main gate. These visitors will hail the guards, announcing themselves as having business; they are then admitted by the guards in small groups. These visitors appear to be either merchants with guards or parties of adventurers. At night, the guards will be more numerous and creatures will be seen to flutter up from within the compound to fly off into the night. No slaves or slaving parties will be observed in the time that the characters are in the area. The walls are constructed of large blocks of stone, closely fitted together. The temple itself is located on the edge of the city and most of the buildings around it have been destroyed, or torn down, giving the roof patrols pretty good line-of-sight. There is little traffic about and while you were walking around in the day, passersby paid no attention to the party. It was recommended that you sneak to the secret door, in the south of the Temple, away from the main entrances, and enter in that manner, but how you accomplish the mission is up to you. At night you can see it would be easy to get the whole party right up to that door, and get in without being noticed - as long as you are careful.

I'll try to get a better scan, but this gives you all the idea.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

What I'm going to do is just update this post, I'll leave the map above alone, and just change these maps. The first one, in this post is the whole thing. I'm taking crappy pictures of the maps with my phone, instead of the crappy scans.

full map, to the north is the stairs you avoided, south is the secret entrance you started at and the door on the far right is where you are standing at right now:
full map.JPG
full map.JPG (70.71 KiB) Viewed 2303 times
Close up map of what you've just explored:
Players map 10.jpg
Players map 10.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 2254 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

Up close and personal. :)
The first map notes the hole in the wall with a circle. It's uncertain where that open area to the south goes, or what it is, etc:
playersmap7.JPG
playersmap7.JPG (44.39 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Here's closer with 5' per square, more like a battle map, sounds like the door is actually closed, but you guys can tell me:
playersmap8.JPG
playersmap8.JPG (50.78 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
And lastly just a wider view of that 5' per square map:
playersmap9.JPG
playersmap9.JPG (83.04 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by rredmond »

Updated map: Room #2 is where you made the hole in the wall, Room #10 is the basilisks den, 1 is where you all entered the temple and #3 is where you fought the undead, the Green area is the inside area that you haven't explored. X is the pile of debris and where Elwita and Blodget fought the creature. You are all in between X and the north wall of 10.
Just to clarify, Area's 1, 2, and 3, as well as the hallways are all "inside" the temple. Thus they have ceilings, which obviously the orcish guards are posted. The dark blue edges of the temple are also areas that guards are walking on, but the courtyard is open to the night sky. The top of the temple is about 35' high.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (183.7 KiB) Viewed 2164 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Players map:
You are at the red X at the first door in the eastern hallway. The hallways are 5' wide, which seem pretty standard in this place, allowing for only single file (if you want to remain combat ready) Marching Orders.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (116.46 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

I did an overview map for my other game. I wanted to do something similar here:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (88.84 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by rredmond »

Picture2.gif
Picture2.gif (61.15 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (53.94 KiB) Viewed 1602 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by rredmond »

Party moving from the room at the top right, where you killed the slaver.
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (337.4 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by rredmond »

You are at the top of the stairs at the black X.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by rredmond »

At the crossroads:
Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (88.9 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Picture1.gif
Picture1.gif (92.74 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”