Fourth Expedition

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Fourth Expedition

#61 Post by beermotor »

Bah, lame. d20 roll the body check = 9. [Edit:] He'll burn a point of Luck so he lives. But, now he's got no gear. Yay?

Daryll, sans ear, will seek out Cisneros. "You REALLY owe me big now, elf."

[Hooray for 2 gimped chars, this is going to be a whole lot of fun, heh.]

One he heals up, Daryll will try to use Pick Pocket to steal a weapon or two. Any opportunities before they go back to the dungeon?
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#62 Post by beermotor »

Oh and can we recruit a couple of 0-levels? Whatever happened to the 3 girls and their uncle or whatever that were mentioned at the very beginning of Expedition 3?

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#63 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:Bah, lame. d20 roll the body check = 9. [Edit:] He'll burn a point of Luck so he lives. But, now he's got no gear. Yay?

Daryll, sans ear, will seek out Cisneros. "You REALLY owe me big now, elf."

[Hooray for 2 gimped chars, this is going to be a whole lot of fun, heh.]
Obviously, my legendary kindness as a GM has been overstated.
One he heals up, Daryll will try to use Pick Pocket to steal a weapon or two. Any opportunities before they go back to the dungeon?
We are now three weeks out on a four week timeline before the expected return date to the Barrowmaze. How long does Daryll heal for?

[Absolutely you may recruit more 0-levels, or additional players, as you desire.]

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#64 Post by beermotor »

Raven Crowking wrote: Obviously, my legendary kindness as a GM has been overstated.
Haha... THAT's legendary kindness? Hate to see what difficulty must be...
We are now three weeks out on a four week timeline before the expected return date to the Barrowmaze. How long does Daryll heal for?
I think he only needs 5 days to recoup the luck and HP loss.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#65 Post by Raven Crowking »

beermotor wrote:
Raven Crowking wrote: Obviously, my legendary kindness as a GM has been overstated.
Haha... THAT's legendary kindness? Hate to see what difficulty must be...
:lol:

Actually, despite what you may think, you almost pulled the theft of the longsword off. If Daryll had laid low for longer, he might have gotten away with it. Of course, consequences are the real balancing factor in any rpg.
I think he only needs 5 days to recoup the luck and HP loss.
So, say, two days to look? With the merchant train gone, the Lord's Men of Malmourn Keep are your best bet, although that might not be what one would call a wise decision, unless you can ensure that you will not be either seen or caught. If seen, it would be unwise to remain in or return to Helix.

On the other hand, getting your hands on a dagger or two might be eminently possible with relatively risk.

But, heck, you've got two characters now who are wishing really hard for something. If all other players would select 1 or 2 characters who are also wishing really hard for something, please join me for an evening's rest..........Another example of my legendary kindness!

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#66 Post by beermotor »

Raven Crowking wrote: Actually, despite what you may think, you almost pulled the theft of the longsword off. If Daryll had laid low for longer, he might have gotten away with it. Of course, consequences are the real balancing factor in any rpg.
Durrrrr... /sigh

So, say, two days to look? With the merchant train gone, the Lord's Men of Malmourn Keep are your best bet, although that might not be what one would call a wise decision, unless you can ensure that you will not be either seen or caught. If seen, it would be unwise to remain in or return to Helix.
No. Uh uh. No way.
On the other hand, getting your hands on a dagger or two might be eminently possible with relatively risk.
Yes please. One will do. Pick Pocket roll: 8 + 4 = 12. Given the timing, he only has one luck to burn I think, so... hope that's enough.
But, heck, you've got two characters now who are wishing really hard for something. If all other players would select 1 or 2 characters who are also wishing really hard for something, please join me for an evening's rest..........Another example of my legendary kindness!
Uhhh... /covers eyes
Okayyyy...

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#67 Post by Raven Crowking »

Okay, you have a dagger.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#68 Post by beermotor »

In anticipation of the new expedition, some fresh meat arrives from the local village.

Grim is greeted by another cousin, Gunnar Ottarson, who's received word of the death of his brother, and has come to assist with retrieving the body. Their reunion is a tearful one. Both dwarves swear eternal vengeance on the undying things inside the Barrowmaze.

Howard Phillipson the corn farmer has spent his last minute harvesting corn. "No more will my hands be pierced by these gods-cursed stalks! Death to you, O hated farm! Let the locusts take you forever into the blackest pits of tiny devourment!" He appears, wild-eyed and seemingly feverish, intent on delving into the Barrowmaze to uncover the quickest route to a better, more power-filled life...

William Nelson the "herbalist" has been playing the the lute on the street corner for years, his long red braids reeking of the herbs he grows secretly in the nearby woods, then dries and sells to the locals. It isn't particularly good stuff, though, and he's not very successful, either at lute-playin' or herb sellin'. Most of his songs are about how down on his luck he is. Then one day he sees Daryll steal the longsword from the green-skinned guard, and later happens across Daryll's bloodied body in the street, which he rolls over to find is still alive. "Hey man, I'm interested in gettin' on the road." He starts tagging along, leaving the battered lute behind.

Kent Clarke was in all respects an outlier. The Clarkes were moderately successful farmers, his great grandfather was a retired soldier and his grandfather and father grew up and stayed on to work the wheat farm. They'd never been particularly smart, tall, or strong, just solidly, and stolidly, average, if perhaps a bit on the lucky side. Kent's mother ran away from a neighboring town, where her wealthy family had fallen into disgrace because of some unseemly gambling debts, and her parents had actually been hung for thievery. But something in the bloodline mingled with the Clarkes' solid averageness and produced Kent: a massive, muscled, handsome, intelligent boy. He excelled in all things, earned the nickname "Sir Clarke" among his peers. He was well-liked, and always around to lend a helping hand. But finally, at age 18, his father took him aside and told him this was his last harvest. "Boy, you've got to go out and use your gods-given gifts to make the world a safer place for others." Kent nodded; he'd long known it was his destiny . . .

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#69 Post by Raven Crowking »

No doubt Howard Phillipson is a great Lover of Crafts. :lol:

Corsair
Scout
Scout

#70 Post by Corsair »

Raven Crowking wrote:No doubt Howard Phillipson is a great Lover of Crafts. :lol:
Both of you. Wow. :D

"This is not Bellings Court," sniffed the willowy Elf, looking around the hamlet with disdain. "You have managed to get us lost. Again."

"Grom's teet, Malgaliir!" barked the Dwarf beside him. "All I ever gets from you is moan, moan, moan. If I told you once, I told you sixteen times, this is a shortcut!"

"Twenty one times," corrected Malgaliir. "Twenty one times, Themble. And each time I've noticed you wandering off to ask some farrier or costermonger a question that I would bet had to do with directions. Perhaps it is time--"

"GOLD!" barked Themble Undergold, swivelling his head. "Beneath our feet." Uncannily he turned in the direction of Barrowmaze. "We're still short of funds, ain't we?"

The Elf nodded. "We've little left to barter with, I fear, and what monies I do have I would rather keep safe."

"Good, good. Then we're delving. Come on."

The Elf arched an eyebrow. "I don't like 'delving,' Themble."

The Dwarf barked a laugh. "Ye'll delve and ye'll like it, leafkisser, if ya wants to make it to Bellings Court."

Themble led the way, looking to find the leader of the fourth expedition.

As the pair walked on, Torvid Spurn and Colgher Colgher watched. The former, the village barber, spat on the ground behind his hand superstitiously. "Magic. More magic in Helix."

"Moor magic," said his friend, amused at his own humor, for the turnip farmer and his friend had both decided that they too would join the fourth expedition into Barrowmaze. Not because they were brave or greedy, but rather because both had seen enough villagers leave and not return to know that the burial ground contained things that needed to be destroyed before Helix was left a ghost town. Possibly literally.

"Guess we should present ourselves," said Torvid laconially.

"Guess so," replied Colgher. The pair fell in some thirty paces behind the odd Elf and Dwarf pair.

knight.errant
Strider
Strider

#71 Post by knight.errant »

"Present ourselves indeed," says Kadatheron the elf, falling in behind Torvid and Colgher. "When I heard the dwarf bellowing about gold and delving I knew I'd come to the right place. I've been looking for some more companions to explore the Barrowmaze with." The elf nods to a shy looking farmboy at his side. "This is Jeren. We've been traveling together for a few days."

"Hullo." Jeren waves to the group.

"Come on Pod, they're gathering over there." Ellie picks up her empty begging bowl, and nods in the direction of the elf and the farm boy. She doesn't wait for the stable boy to catch up.

Podrick quips as he runs to catch up with the girl, "How is it that you never make any money begging, El?"

"Jus' lucky I guess."

"With a baby face like that, it's no wonder no one believes you're starving."

"If you were lookin' at my face, ya might. 'Sides, I'm done paying those greedy bastards half my take," as she smooths her matted pig-tails, trying to look as presentable as possible. She waits for Podrick to catch up, then follows behind him as he approaches the elf and farmer.

"I'd like to join...ow! I mean we'd like to join too," says Podrick as he rubs his ribs.

Ellie smiles innocently.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#72 Post by Raven Crowking »

As soon as you are ready, we shall begin.

Jed is still lost in his dreams, until he finishes the Cotillion, and cannot be awakened. Indeed, when he is checked upon, there is a great shadowy beast, half crocodile and half lion, crouched near his bed and protecting his sleeping form.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#73 Post by beermotor »

Grim stands ready. "Gunnar and I will venture back into this hell-pit to find the body of my cousin, Pikar, and give him a proper burial." Kent Clarke walks boldly up, positions himself behind the two dwarves. "I'll accompany you."

Cisneros, the elf, hobbles up, leaning heavily on a crude wooden crutch. His robes are sticky and bloody in the chest area, and he wheezes and coughs and looks just plain awful. But his eyes are feverishly brilliant, like sapphires in torchlight. "I've dreamed ... <cough wheeze> of ... something I NEED ... <cough hack cough> I know where it ... is. Inside." Howard Phillipson the corn farmer looks at the elf curiously, and stands nearby... but not too close... gently petting and whispering to his chicken.

Daryll has a strange bandage on his head, completely covering one ear. He glares at anyone who looks at him. "Lead on, dwarf." William Nelson the longhaired herbalist walks behind Daryll.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#74 Post by Raven Crowking »

Are we ready? Then let us begin.

South of the village of Helix lies a vast and lonely moor, where it is often foggy or mist-wreathed, and the wise fear to tread in the night. The locals are aware of the burial mounds half a day's walk onto those moors, and occasionally share folk tales of the dead walking in the mist and riches buried under the ground. They refer to the underground labyrinth as Barrowmaze, and speak of it in tones of hushed dread.

Some of you have walked in those dread halls, and others are new to the brave group of explorers and adventurers. High hopes for profit, and fear of what else may occur, cannot be far from any mind.

The first expedition to Barrowmaze was in the springtime, but the season has turned to summer now. Looming ahead is the autumn harvest, when all hands in the little village of Helix must bend to backbreaking labour in order to ensure that there is enough food for all in the coming winter. But that is yet months away, and if you are wise and lucky, you will be able to pay your way out of the harvest by hiring wandering labourers, or perhaps be quit of Helix altogether an on to some bigger town, such as Wolford, where the fruits of the harvest are bought more by coin than by aching back.

Or perhaps you will by that time lie dead somewhere in the dark halls, or upon the lonely moor.

What with one thing and another, it takes longer to reach the barrows than you might have hoped, and the sun has passed the noonday mark by perhaps an hour or more. Still, the days are longer now, and it is not as though the sun warms you overmuch through the grey mists.

You can see ancient stones rearing up on either side of the path, as well as mounds seen dimly through the mist. The ground is damp, squelching underfoot, but the mist seems to swallow every other sound, for you hear no call of bird or beast.

The path leads to a central mound is encircled with standing stones. It’s large stone door rests face down, broken in two, in the long grass of the entranceway. The area is littered with skulls and bones. A foul smell emits from the interior of the mound and the darkness beyond is black as night.

Now is the moment of decision: Enter the ancient and stinking barrow? Examine the other stones, cairns, and barrows that stretch out in all directions? Return to Helix and the promise of the harvest? Flee to Wolford? Something else? All paths lay open to you now, and the easiest path may not be the best!

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#75 Post by beermotor »

Cisneros hacks and coughs. "There. In ... there. I will ... tell you the way." <wheeze hack cough>

Gunnar says, "Where the body of my brother lies is where I'm headed. Lead on, cousin."

Grim nods, grunts. "Follow me, lads. One of you braver ones come up and walk beside me. Kent, you stand behind with that ten foot pole, use it to tap the ground in front of us as we walk. Everybody who's got one, light up a torch. These things are fearless but fire harms them. Also, when we were last here, we encountered some strange beetles. Beware of them. Do NOT wander off on your own." He pauses and glances around at everyone in turn. "If you do, we will not come after you, and you WILL die. And probably rise again like these things... you'll see soon enough."

Into the mound!

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#76 Post by Raven Crowking »

Please let me know who is doing what; who is entering the mound, who is staying outside, who is going first, etc.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#77 Post by beermotor »

Grim will press-gang Themble Undergold to stand next to him. 2nd rank is Kent and Gunnar. HP and Cisneros will come next. Don't care after that ... Daryll will bring up the rear and keep an eye out.

knight.errant
Strider
Strider

#78 Post by knight.errant »

Kadatheron nods his head at Grim in appreciation,"We shall heed your words."

Kadatheron hurries to catch up with Cisneros. "Are you unwell friend?"

Podrick glances at Ellie,"Ready?"

Ellie nods, waiting for Podrick to get a step ahead before following him.

Jeren's eyes dart nervously as he adjusts his grip on the pitchfork. He pauses for a moment before finding his courage and following the others.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#79 Post by Raven Crowking »

Old stone steps lead down into the barrow, revealing a space some 60 feet in diameter and with a ceiling that merges into shadows 30 feet overhead at its apex. the ceiling is held aloft by four thick stone pillars. In the space between the pillars, a hole has been smashed into the floor, and a rig for lowering a rope below is placed over it. There is no rope at this time, though. The edges of the room are littered with fallen or broken rock, ancient bones, and rat droppings. The charnel smell comes up from the hole in the floor, to mix with the odour of damp stone and mould.

beermotor
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#80 Post by beermotor »

Kent lights a torch. Grim motions the group over to the hole, and looks down, waving at Kent to hold the torch where he can see. Anything down there?

"Used to be a rope here," Grim mutters.

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”