It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:15 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
It has been a hard four weeks since you met horror in the halls of stone. You have learned much, and grown in ways that you might not have dreamed possible before you took that desperate chance at wealth and fame. But you did not make your fortunes. The need for food, shelter, and clothing forced you back into your old lives, like an adult forced into the ill-fitting clothes of childhood. Your fellows meet you now with mixed looks of awe and horror, and whispers of those who died in the Barrowmaze dog your steps. If only you had found that one big treasure, the one strike that could lift you upwards onto the road of adventure, and away from the small village where the daily grind consumes you all!

Setting off without supplies would be a huge gamble, and the back-breaking labour of the village simply doesn't pay enough to obtain the arms, armour, and tools you feel you need.

It is worst for Jedak, who dreams each night of two sons murdering their father, their shapes mere shadows thrown on rough walls. Jedak feels the pull of the Barrowmaze in his very marrow, and men fear to pass him in the shadows of the night.

At last though, as chance would have it, you have a dream of buried treasure, a chest of gold beneath an old elm in the village square, to be safely dug up at midnight. There is no question of scoffing; as though by compulsion you find yourself drawn to the village square, where your companions of the Barrowmaze are also converging. That you were not alone in having this dream -- that it came from some source outside you, some source that wants you to return to the lonely moorland and what lies beneath -- is clear to all.

And, beneath the earth, an ages-old chest, containing 160 pieces of still-bright gold.

With this unexpected bounty, perhaps you can equip yourselves well enough to try the Barrowmaze again. Or you can roll for initiative, winner take all, and flee this village forever, in search of adventures much farther afield......?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:40 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Are there 5 of us? That's 32 gp each.

Grim proposes that as an equitable split. Daryll grudgingly agrees.

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:27 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Assuming that's okay...

During the four weeks' time, Grim will seek to apprentice himself to the best smith he can, and hope to trade as much labor as possible for a price break on a warhammer (list price: 5 gp). He'll also seek to trade his leather armor plus as few coins as possible for studded leather armor (list price: 45 gp, out of price range), or stud it himself under the supervision of the smith or an armorer, if he can find one. He will try to conserve as many coins as possible, because whatever's left over (after upkeep, and purchasing backpack (list price: 2gp), 2 pieces of chalk (2 cp), flint and steel (15 cp), 2 days of rations (10 cp), 50' of rope (25 cp), a large sack (12 cp), and a waterskin (5sp) (total gear cost estimated: 2 gp, 5 sp, 64 cp or 3 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp) will get bundled up and mailed home to his uncle, Pikar's father, with a note: "Dearest Uncle Ottar: Pikar fell in the Barrowmaze and was slain; we were unable to help him. But here is a little bit to offer at the Temple in his memory. Know that I go now to avenge him against the vile things that dwell in this unholy place. If I should fall, this will be my last letter. Know that I died valiantly, in that case, and speak the good news to my father. Your nephew, Grim Oddson." If it's not economically feasible to get studded leather armor, he'll try to find some good stout hide armor (list price: 30 gp) to trade for.

Daryll will make some discreet inquiries about the local Guild. He needs to acquire some tools of the trade, which he hopes are issued to him by the boss, in exchange for a "tithe." He's not really sure how it works here, he's just going on what he's heard. He's not much of a politician (Per 8) but he's smart (Int 12) and knows he'll be a good earner. He's also convinced there's a king's ransom of treasure down in the maze... he'll see if he can convince the boss, or at least whoever his immediate supervisor-type might be, that the adventure is worth the Guild's sponsorship (in coin). He's looking to pick up some padded armor (list price: 5gp) and a shield (list price: 10 gp), plus he'll trade/sell his club and look to pick up 2 daggers (list price: 6 gp) and a short sword (list price: 7 gp; total for weapons/armor: 28 gp). He'll purchase an identical setup to Grim in terms of regular gear (backpack, etc; total estimated price: 3 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp). Whatever's left over, he'll donate to the Guild in a show of good faith (and in the hopes that they give him a set of tools).

Cisneros will spend the 4 weeks studying his magic, thinking about a patron. He'll also send to the elves (or speak with those locally, whatever the case may be) about acquiring a mithril two-handed sword (list price: 15 gp; book says "at no extra cost"); he'll sell/trade the staff. He'll seek out an identical set of regular gear as Grim, plus a lantern and 6 flasks of oil (list price: 10 gp + 12 sp, or 11 gp, 2 sp; total plus Grim's setup: 14 gp, 3 sp, 4 cp).

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
During the four weeks' time, Grim will seek to apprentice himself to the best smith he can, and hope to trade as much labor as possible for a price break on a warhammer (list price: 5 gp). He'll also seek to trade his leather armor plus as few coins as possible for studded leather armor (list price: 45 gp, out of price range), or stud it himself under the supervision of the smith or an armorer, if he can find one. He will try to conserve as many coins as possible, because whatever's left over (after upkeep, and purchasing backpack (list price: 2gp), 2 pieces of chalk (2 cp), flint and steel (15 cp), 2 days of rations (10 cp), 50' of rope (25 cp), a large sack (12 cp), and a waterskin (5sp) (total gear cost estimated: 2 gp, 5 sp, 64 cp or 3 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp) will get bundled up and mailed home to his uncle, Pikar's father, with a note: "Dearest Uncle Ottar: Pikar fell in the Barrowmaze and was slain; we were unable to help him. But here is a little bit to offer at the Temple in his memory. Know that I go now to avenge him against the vile things that dwell in this unholy place. If I should fall, this will be my last letter. Know that I died valiantly, in that case, and speak the good news to my father. Your nephew, Grim Oddson." If it's not economically feasible to get studded leather armor, he'll try to find some good stout hide armor (list price: 30 gp) to trade for.


Okay. By dint of hard labour, I'll let you shave the warhammer to 3 gp and the studded leather to 30 gp.

Quote:
Daryll will make some discreet inquiries about the local Guild. He needs to acquire some tools of the trade, which he hopes are issued to him by the boss, in exchange for a "tithe." He's not really sure how it works here, he's just going on what he's heard. He's not much of a politician (Per 8) but he's smart (Int 12) and knows he'll be a good earner. He's also convinced there's a king's ransom of treasure down in the maze... he'll see if he can convince the boss, or at least whoever his immediate supervisor-type might be, that the adventure is worth the Guild's sponsorship (in coin). He's looking to pick up some padded armor (list price: 5gp) and a shield (list price: 10 gp), plus he'll trade/sell his club and look to pick up 2 daggers (list price: 6 gp) and a short sword (list price: 7 gp; total for weapons/armor: 28 gp). He'll purchase an identical setup to Grim in terms of regular gear (backpack, etc; total estimated price: 3 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp). Whatever's left over, he'll donate to the Guild in a show of good faith (and in the hopes that they give him a set of tools).


Discreet enquiries about the local Guild turn up nothing about any organized body. Perhaps this village is too small? Or perhaps they are too wary? In any event, your enquiries draw the attention of Old Krok, who works as a stablehand now. He offers you a set of tools, old but kept in good condition by a well-oiled cloth. "Messin' about wi' stuff o' that ilk be a youngun's game," he says. "So, here's a loan, and you 'member me well should you return, eh? And, for both your sake and mine, have nought to do with them Hatters, can you help it!" He refuses to elaborate on that last remark.

Quote:
Cisneros will spend the 4 weeks studying his magic, thinking about a patron. He'll also send to the elves (or speak with those locally, whatever the case may be) about acquiring a mithril two-handed sword (list price: 15 gp; book says "at no extra cost"); he'll sell/trade the staff. He'll seek out an identical set of regular gear as Grim, plus a lantern and 6 flasks of oil (list price: 10 gp + 12 sp, or 11 gp, 2 sp; total plus Grim's setup: 14 gp, 3 sp, 4 cp).


No worries with the mithral sword....and, as the book says, no extra cost this once.

While my kindness as a GM/judge may be legendary :lol: I will require you to make contact with a suitable patron and perform the ceremony required at an appropriate spot. As one of the most flavourful aspects of the DCC rpg, I would be doing a disservice to you and all others involved if I did not. :twisted: The Barrowmaze may be the hook & the linchpin around which this little pbp revolves, but it would be a mistake to imagine that I will not give you the opportunity to get pulled far afield, and into other adventures! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:55 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Raven Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:
During the four weeks' time, Grim will seek to apprentice himself to the best smith he can, and hope to trade as much labor as possible for a price break on a warhammer (list price: 5 gp). He'll also seek to trade his leather armor plus as few coins as possible for studded leather armor (list price: 45 gp, out of price range), or stud it himself under the supervision of the smith or an armorer, if he can find one. He will try to conserve as many coins as possible, because whatever's left over (after upkeep, and purchasing backpack (list price: 2gp), 2 pieces of chalk (2 cp), flint and steel (15 cp), 2 days of rations (10 cp), 50' of rope (25 cp), a large sack (12 cp), and a waterskin (5sp) (total gear cost estimated: 2 gp, 5 sp, 64 cp or 3 gp, 1 sp, 4 cp) will get bundled up and mailed home to his uncle, Pikar's father, with a note: "Dearest Uncle Ottar: Pikar fell in the Barrowmaze and was slain; we were unable to help him. But here is a little bit to offer at the Temple in his memory. Know that I go now to avenge him against the vile things that dwell in this unholy place. If I should fall, this will be my last letter. Know that I died valiantly, in that case, and speak the good news to my father. Your nephew, Grim Oddson." If it's not economically feasible to get studded leather armor, he'll try to find some good stout hide armor (list price: 30 gp) to trade for.


Okay. By dint of hard labour, I'll let you shave the warhammer to 3 gp and the studded leather to 30 gp.



Okay, so Grim has 32 gp and a few copper pennies, plus some leather armor to sell/trade, and his gear costs a total of 36 gp, 1sp, 4 cp. Can he make that work? He'll sell his smithing hammer if he has to.

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Raven Crowking wrote:
Quote:
Discreet enquiries about the local Guild turn up nothing about any organized body. Perhaps this village is too small? Or perhaps they are too wary? In any event, your enquiries draw the attention of Old Krok, who works as a stablehand now. He offers you a set of tools, old but kept in good condition by a well-oiled cloth. "Messin' about wi' stuff o' that ilk be a youngun's game," he says. "So, here's a loan, and you 'member me well should you return, eh? And, for both your sake and mine, have nought to do with them Hatters, can you help it!" He refuses to elaborate on that last remark.


Daryll has about a gold piece left, which he flips to the old man. "Much obliged, old timer. I pay my debts." Then he smirks. "Well, I try to anyhow." He chuckles. "Maybe you'll see me again fore too long."

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
Okay, so Grim has 32 gp and a few copper pennies, plus some leather armor to sell/trade, and his gear costs a total of 36 gp, 1sp, 4 cp. Can he make that work? He'll sell his smithing hammer if he has to.


Your master (the smith) will loan you the difference until you return from the Barrowmaze. Keep the silver and the copper; you owe him 4 gp yet for the armour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
I know you said to wait on the patron until later, but can he go ahead and spellburn the bond while we're having downtime? Invoke will have to wait because of MM result anyway.

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:27 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
I know you said to wait on the patron until later, but can he go ahead and spellburn the bond while we're having downtime? Invoke will have to wait because of MM result anyway.


Sure. Burn, baby, burn.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Cisneros the Elf secludes himself away from the rest of the villagers, so that he can properly bond with his patron in secret. Sacrificing his physical form with fasting, bloodletting, and ritual inhalation of ... certain dried herbs put to flame ... he detaches his spirit from his mortal coil and sends it streaking to the heavens, toward Lihtan, the Star of the Morning, an emissary of the elven god Belanus. (Spellburn: 21 points, all physical stats at 3.)

Patron Bond roll: 10 + 1 (int) + 1 (level) = 12 + 21 = 33.

The rest of the four week period will be spent in recovery... :-)

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 am
Posts: 138
Jed finds himself back on the parsnip farm. He hears the whispers, and ignores them. He has other problems; his dreams disturb his sleep at night and occupy his thoughts during the day. Besides, he has a new friend, now. After the day's labours, when he's lying awake on his pallet at night, he tries to focus on his new friend, reach out to him, one question on his mind, "How can I serve you?" If he can find people to listen, in the fields, when getting water, in the evening, in town, he will speak about neutrality, the middle path.

Then came the night at the old elm in the village square, a hidden chest dug up, and a cache of gold. Jed took his share and the next day went to certain village merchants, purchasing supplies for a return trip to the barrow. He buys a mace and some leather armor, a backpack, flint & steel, a small hammer, 5 iron spikes, 5 oil flasks, 2 additional days rations, 50' of rope, a waterskin and 3 empty flasks. He leaves the blacksmith's, eyeing that shield on his wall, but with a coin pouch too light for it.

If he has managed to find people who will listen to him, he'll pass the hat around, talking about the mysteries to be uncovered in the barrows, seeking support for his return trip. He realizes it would take a small miracle, though; he's almost 8 gold short of the cost of the shield.

_________________
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:59 am 
Offline
Tracker
Tracker
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 am
Posts: 138
Murq returns to his old trade as a blacksmith, regaling his fellows at the shop and fellow patrons at the local watering hole with tales of terror and courage below the barrows, telling his tales with a zest he does not feel. What he feels is loss, and a burning desire to avenge his fallen brother, to smash the evil creatures that have infested the barrows. He has to return, but he doesn't have the gear to properly exact his revenge.

After that night when he and his fellow delvers found themselves standing at the old elm, he decided to pool his resources to see what he could make of it. He had held onto the small ingot of mithril which had been in his possession for a long time, but now was the time to use it, to barter with the master blacksmith, to see what he could trade it for.

_________________
Jed [AC: 14, HP: 9/10, Deity Disapproval: 1-2], Murq [AC: 13, 8/8]


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:54 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
Cisneros the Elf secludes himself away from the rest of the villagers, so that he can properly bond with his patron in secret. Sacrificing his physical form with fasting, bloodletting, and ritual inhalation of ... certain dried herbs put to flame ... he detaches his spirit from his mortal coil and sends it streaking to the heavens, toward Lihtan, the Star of the Morning, an emissary of the elven god Belanus. (Spellburn: 21 points, all physical stats at 3.)

Patron Bond roll: 10 + 1 (int) + 1 (level) = 12 + 21 = 33.

The rest of the four week period will be spent in recovery... :-)


Rolling 1d24.....13! Cisneros develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him. Hmmmm, well that's interesting. Given the amount of spellburn that Cisneros used, that's one hell of a sore.

End result: The patron considers the caster integral to his long-term goals. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to his patron and may cast it up to four times per day at a +2 bonus to the spell check. The patron also gives the caster a gift (for which a counter-gift is to be expected, of course). The gift is two patron spells, selected from the patron’s spell list. The caster can cast either of these spells once per day in place of a casting of invoke patron. Each time he casts either of these patron spells or invoke patron, the caster is indebted to his patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

So, I have a bit of work to do to get this patron up to snuff (and I won't be able to start until October 1st, as I am working hard on patrons for Angels, Daemons, & Beings Between, so that it makes its release deadline!) Luckily, your rolls make it easy to give me a little more time:

"Child," says the voice of the Star of Morning from the crackling flames, "much value can I see in thee, and much will I give thee, but first thou must prove thy worth. To thee then shall I give these three gifts: to heal the self-inflicted wounds from which thou dost suffer, to grant thee access to the hearth in the gloaming, and to grant thee access to the smoke of the morning star....but for each of these gifts, thou must bring to me first, through fire, a red gem of a value not less than 100 gp. Until the first of these gifts be delivered, call not upon me, lest thou find me in a stern mood. Let these wounds stand until the first gem be burned, a warning to thou not to presume upon the kindness of those who inhabit the otherworlds. Until then, as thou hast done to thyself, so let it remain."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:23 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
Dumnbunny wrote:
Jed finds himself back on the parsnip farm. He hears the whispers, and ignores them.

<snip>

He realizes it would take a small miracle


Ouch. Bad combination to use in relationship with each other! Nothing is forthcoming, and your fellows shy away from you whenever it is dark out. But in your dreams, the old voice whispers, "Faith, My vassal, for all that you need comes from Me, and in the end it is in My arms that you shall rest....seek the Tablet of Chaos in the place where My sons' servants yet dwell.....It shall be a hard task, and a long, but you and those who seek with you, shall thus earn great reward."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:25 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Raven Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:
Cisneros the Elf secludes himself away from the rest of the villagers, so that he can properly bond with his patron in secret. Sacrificing his physical form with fasting, bloodletting, and ritual inhalation of ... certain dried herbs put to flame ... he detaches his spirit from his mortal coil and sends it streaking to the heavens, toward Lihtan, the Star of the Morning, an emissary of the elven god Belanus. (Spellburn: 21 points, all physical stats at 3.)

Patron Bond roll: 10 + 1 (int) + 1 (level) = 12 + 21 = 33.

The rest of the four week period will be spent in recovery... :-)


Rolling 1d24.....13! Cisneros develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him. Hmmmm, well that's interesting. Given the amount of spellburn that Cisneros used, that's one hell of a sore.


Sweeeeet. Where is it? He'll bandage it. Or maybe it's kind of all over the place, like lots of little sores? If so, he'll bandage himself up all over. He'll take to wearing looooong robes and a cloak to cover himself with (nothing fancy, plain brown is fine for now).

Actually, given the nature of the deity and the patron, could it just be like a horrible sunburn? skin peeling and whatnot in a very yucky fashion? Constant pain and discomfort.

Quote:
End result: The patron considers the caster integral to his long-term goals. The caster learns the spell invoke patron as it relates to his patron and may cast it up to four times per day at a +2 bonus to the spell check. The patron also gives the caster a gift (for which a counter-gift is to be expected, of course). The gift is two patron spells, selected from the patron’s spell list. The caster can cast either of these spells once per day in place of a casting of invoke patron. Each time he casts either of these patron spells or invoke patron, the caster is indebted to his patron, who will call in the debt at some point.

So, I have a bit of work to do to get this patron up to snuff (and I won't be able to start until October 1st, as I am working hard on patrons for Angels, Daemons, & Beings Between, so that it makes its release deadline!) Luckily, your rolls make it easy to give me a little more time:

"Child," says the voice of the Star of Morning from the crackling flames, "much value can I see in thee, and much will I give thee, but first thou must prove thy worth. To thee then shall I give these three gifts: to heal the self-inflicted wounds from which thou dost suffer, to grant thee access to the hearth in the gloaming, and to grant thee access to the smoke of the morning star....but for each of these gifts, thou must bring to me first, through fire, a red gem of a value not less than 100 gp. Until the first of these gifts be delivered, call not upon me, lest thou find me in a stern mood. Let these wounds stand until the first gem be burned, a warning to thou not to presume upon the kindness of those who inhabit the otherworlds. Until then, as thou hast done to thyself, so let it remain."


"It will be done." (I understand "bring to me first, through fire" to mean put a valuable red gem in a fire, as an offering.)

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:57 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
Raven Crowking wrote:
beermotor wrote:
(Spellburn: 21 points, all physical stats at 3.)

Patron Bond roll: 10 + 1 (int) + 1 (level) = 12 + 21 = 33.

The rest of the four week period will be spent in recovery... :-)


Rolling 1d24.....13! Cisneros develops a bleeding sore that will not heal until he pays back the aid of the power that assisted him. Hmmmm, well that's interesting. Given the amount of spellburn that Cisneros used, that's one hell of a sore.


Sweeeeet. Where is it? He'll bandage it. Or maybe it's kind of all over the place, like lots of little sores? If so, he'll bandage himself up all over. He'll take to wearing looooong robes and a cloak to cover himself with (nothing fancy, plain brown is fine for now).

Actually, given the nature of the deity and the patron, could it just be like a horrible sunburn? skin peeling and whatnot in a very yucky fashion? Constant pain and discomfort.


The spellburn is a self-inflicted wound (because you are not yet rolling of the chart I will make for your patron). Hoping to gain the Star of Morning's notice, you have inflicted a gaping wound in your chest. You can bandage it, but it seeps through, causing your loooooong brown robes to stick to your chest where the wound is inflicted.

Quote:
"It will be done." (I understand "bring to me first, through fire" to mean put a valuable red gem in a fire, as an offering.)


Until the first offering is made, your Strength, Agility, and Stamina damage does not begin to heal. Once that offering is made, healing will occur at the normal rate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
[Oof. Well, that sucks. Haha...]

After bonding with his Patron, Cisneros will seek out Daryll. "I have made contact with a power beyond your comprehension. But the cost was ..." <cough cough, wipe at bloody wound> "... is ... great. To my physical being." <pant pant, cough> "I need to secure a red gemstone. It must be valuable. Very valuable. Given my ..." <cough, wheeze> "... incapacity, I'm willing to overlook, ah, the local laws and customs. At this time. Can you help me?"

Daryll shies away from the elf. "Yeah, well. Maybe I'll see what I'kin do. Maybe you'll think about what it's worth to ya. You know. Later down the line."

Cisneros nods eagerly. "Yes, yes."

Daryll will keep his eyes peeled around town, to see if he can find a red gemstone that might look like it'd be suitable. He'll pay particularly close attention to any merchants, clergymen, etc. Anything?

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
[Oof. Well, that sucks. Haha...]


Play with fire...... :lol:

Quote:
Daryll will keep his eyes peeled around town, to see if he can find a red gemstone that might look like it'd be suitable. He'll pay particularly close attention to any merchants, clergymen, etc. Anything?


Obviously, my legendary kindness as a GM has been overstated. In this podunk little village, there is nothing that seems even close.

There is a larger town, Wolford, a couple of days to the east. Feel like trying your luck on an overland journey and a burglary there (if you happen to encounter anything there that meets your needs)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:11 am 
Offline
Pathfinder
Pathfinder
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am
Posts: 435
Location: Atlanta, GA
Yeesh. Well hrm. Cisneros is pretty gimpy; he's very unlikely to want to venture back into the Barrowmaze in his current state. There's no way Grim would participate in outright thievery, being Lawful, so he's out; ditto Murq. Daryll's not sure about Jed's scruples, but he's loathe to make too many aware of the job, lest he be tracked and caught. Loose lips, and all that.

Is it safe enough for a lone guy to travel by foot to Wolford? Or is this something that essentially invites disaster? Can he hitch a ride in a farmer's haycart or something, sneak/hide inside? Wolford intrigues Daryll for other reasons, too... he'd like to make contact with a Guild.

_________________
Barrowmaze Map (by Grim Oddson and Gunnar Ottarson): Updated 03/14/13

Barrowmaze Characters (Active in Expedition 5):
Gunnar Ottarson (Dwarf 1): AC 16 HP 7/7
Daryll One-ear (Thief 1): AC 13 HP 4/4
Cisneros (Elf 1): AC 11 HP 6/6
Howard Phillipson (Wizard 1): AC 13 HP 5/9


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fourth Expedition
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 am
Posts: 1209
beermotor wrote:
Yeesh. Well hrm. Cisneros is pretty gimpy; he's very unlikely to want to venture back into the Barrowmaze in his current state.


Yeah? I didn't foresee this coming, but I do find it amusing. So amusing, in fact, that I opened a thread about it (http://goodman-games.com/forums/viewtop ... 73&t=42212).

Way back when there was a thread about abusing spellburn to ensure a high patron bond result, and it is nice to see that this really is more of a gamble than a give-me.

(You might understandably be a little less amused, but, if Cisneros survives to appreciate it, you might also find the inconvenience worthwhile in the long run!)

Quote:
Is it safe enough for a lone guy to travel by foot to Wolford? Or is this something that essentially invites disaster? Can he hitch a ride in a farmer's haycart or something, sneak/hide inside? Wolford intrigues Daryll for other reasons, too... he'd like to make contact with a Guild.


"Safe" is such a relative term!

What you do know is that merchant trains sometimes travel through your village (Helix) on the way to Wolford from Longport, some days journey to the west, or vice-versa. Few folk in Helix have ever made such a trip, fewer yet in recent years. Centuries back, there was a cult in that region called "The Obsidian Heart", and they were notorious bandits. The merchant trains go heavily armed, and there are talks about bandits along that road again (although presumably not related to the old cult). There are also rumours and stories of things from the moorland being encountered on the road to Wolford...the sort of stories that make farmers latch their doors tight against the darkness. But they may just be stories.

Merchant trains are relatively predictable....there is one due to pass through Helix on its way to Wolford about three weeks after you return from the Barrowmaze, in order to take advantage of the Wolford Spring Fair. Opportunities may abound there for a thief, but the merchant train goes on past Wolford to reach other markets beyond.....there is no guarantee that you will be able to find accompaniment on your way back.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group