Second Expedition

#1 Post by Raven Crowking »

For the second expedition.

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Second Expedition

#2 Post by jferngler »

Herman stands in the village square and calls to all and sundry to join him and the other Mazers in the dead halls under the fen. Avery, with Girt's staff and hammer, Girt with mace and shield, Giant with the remains of a ham bone, walk steadily to Toothy Herman.

"Who else will sally forth to adventure?" Herman calls.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#3 Post by caveman »

Silva the Hunter strides into the square, head held high, his green cloak billowing behind him, bow over his mailed shoulder, bearing a wooden shield with the device of a black scorpion on a field of green. He sets down a sack bulging with expeditionary gear (ropes, hammers, spikes, iron bars, and torches) and says, "Let's get into that barrow."
Knave: Cedric the Defrauded Outlaw
Level 1 HP 8 Armor Defense 12
Str 11 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 13 Wis 14 Cha 12
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hM ... sp=sharing

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#4 Post by Raven Crowking »

Anyone damaged gains 1 hit point on the day of the first expedition, and 2 hit points for a day of rest, meaning that everyone is ready to go for the third day (unless there is something else you want to do).

Anyone going must check in here. I am not going to assume characters are "tagging along" if the players are not sufficiently interested.

Lord Zack
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Lord Zack »

Alexatros and Char the Red will be accompanying the expedition into Barrowmaze again. May I also create two more, new characters to replace John Parsnip and Thordek?

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Raven Crowking »

Yes you may. In fact, that's a very good idea!

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#7 Post by Raven Crowking »

The day dawns clear and cool for the spring; a group of folk gather in the Village Green, ready to try their luck in the Barrowmaze. For some, this is a first expedition. For others, it is a return to danger, as well as possible wealth and glory.

If you are Lawful or Neutral and you gave of your riches for the comfort of others, you have gained +1 Luck. This includes donations to family, the families of the dead, religious donation, etc. This generosity must have occurred before the time of this post to qualify! If you are Chaotic, you gain no Luck, for Chaos cares not about the comfort of others!

When all the characters have checked in, and introduced themselves as needs be, I will move on to to the trip, and the arrival at the Barrow Mounds.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#8 Post by caveman »

Silva leads his two men at arms to glory. Milner is a good lad, but Ballotelli is a spoiled brat whom Silva hopes to convert to a more righteous path. Perhaps Milner will be a good, if boring example.
(sinewy broken-faced but rosy cheeked, oily pompador, frayed tunic, courteous manner, but irascible tendencies, and squeaky voiced)

Vanguard
Squire
Squire

#9 Post by Vanguard »

Four figures emerge from The Broken Cup, a tavern notorious for those down on their luck, and join the crowd gathering on the green. Their tabs aren't going to pay themselves, and after the damage they did last night, risking death in the Barrowmaze seems less dangerous a prospect than showing Rosch, the barkeep, their empty pockets.

The group is being led by Arlo and Pudge, twins with a knack for making rope. There is a short, well-dressed fellow in tow who goes by the name Lyle. Lastly, there is Valanthe, a minstrel, who is strumming her Ukelele singing:

The froth of ale and the glimmer of gold
Lead us down the adventurer's road
We'll travel it until the end of our days
Lest we die forgotten in the Barrowmaze . . .
My RPG Blog: The Earthlight Academy
http://earthlightacademy.blogspot.com/

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#10 Post by Raven Crowking »

You set off into the cool morning, across the forbidding moorland. Although the sun is past the zenith by the time you reach the barrow mounds, clouds have massed slowly in the sky as you journeyed, and now the air is heavy. Low stone cairns line the overgrown and broken path, which leads to a large central mound. You can see smaller mounds off the path, in all directions – Many covered with stone doors, a few whose doors are cracked and opened into a jumble of stone, and still more which are completely buried in earth.

As before, the area of the mounds is ancient, damp, and obscured by mist, but this time things are not as quiet. As you reach the area of the mounds, you can hear low voices from the central mound ahead of you.

As before, the central mound is encircled with standing stones. It’s large stone door rests face down, broken in two, in the long grass of the entranceway. The area is littered with skulls and bones. A foul smell emits from the interior of the mound and the darkness beyond is black as night...but now, so too do the low voices of several men.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#11 Post by caveman »

Would anybody like to sneak in and scout around?

Silva knocks an arrow.
Milner clutches his pitchfork.
Ballotelli picks up a couple of handy baseball sized stones.

Vanguard
Squire
Squire

#12 Post by Vanguard »

Arlo, Pudge, Lyle, and Valanthe stare at the ground looking hesitant.

After a moment, Valanthe whispers, "We haven't any torches. I think I can convince the fat one to scout, but he'll need some light." Valanthe unsheaths her dagger cautiously.

The halfling follows suit and the twins grow visibly nervous.

Pudge asks, in a whisper, "W-what's inside?"

caveman
Guide
Guide

#13 Post by caveman »

"Heres a torch, lad, but i heard manly voices not devilish ones. Men need light to see. So sneak up there and see what light there is. "

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#14 Post by jferngler »

Toothy Herman takes the torch from the lad's limp hand. "I've been down before, so I can go first," he says. His mace in one hand, torch in the other, Herman moves at a crouch, moving as stealthily as he knows how to the mouth of the barrow. Girt follows, and before Herman disappears into the mouth of the barrow, he hands the boy his torch, and moves on the balls of his feet as far into the barrow as it takes to clearly distinguish the spoken words of those within ahead.

caveman
Guide
Guide

#15 Post by caveman »

Silva and crew follow some paces behind, at the ready.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#16 Post by Raven Crowking »

From the entrance, a short flight of steps leads downward to the interior of the barrow, an area some 60 feet across supported by four massive square pillars. A hole in the centre of the floor leads downward, and a tripod is over the hole, with a rope going downward.

Within the barrow, you see five men dressed in vari-coloured tunics and dark breeches. Three are straining over the rope leading down into the Barrowmaze. Two more were clearly supposed to be standing guard, but are paying closer attention to what is going on within. They do not seem to notice you.

All of these men are armed with heavy cudgels.

jferngler
Tracker
Tracker

#17 Post by jferngler »

Staying carefully hidden, Toothy Herman edges back to the mouth of the barrow. "Oi!" he calls, hoping to draw the cudgelmen out to the party on the moor.

Vanguard
Squire
Squire

#18 Post by Vanguard »

Pudge and Arlo step forward slowly, drawing their knives. Valanthe and Lyle take their place on either side of the entrance, ready to stab should anything foul come out on the moors.

Raven Crowking
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#19 Post by Raven Crowking »

After Toothy Herman calls out his "Oi!" there is a moment of silence.

Having moved out of sight, you no longer see the men, but you hear a quiet "You were supposed to be watching, me boyo" followed by the sound of a man getting slapped upside the head. The voice then calls more loudly, "Well then, me hearts, who be you up there? Come down and make yourself known! I'm sure there be loot enough for all!"

The jocularity sounds strained to your ears, and you can just make out one of the men snickering at "loot enough for all" before he, too, receives a whack alongside the ear.

Lord Zack
Strider
Strider

#20 Post by Lord Zack »

Char the Red says quietly "Let's send half of our group ahead, and keep half hidden in reserve in case this turns into a fight. Me and George here," he says pointer to the herder that Alexatros convinced to join the expedition, "Will go ahead, while Alexatros and Albert will be in the group that stays back."

Return to “DCC RPG Barrowmaze”